Three against One
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three against One

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

Default Three against One

Well, six weeks now as Dixie's new Mom and we're (crossing the fingers) proud to report 2 weeks of no accidents indoors. Thank you Pug Village for the encouragement and advice on training.

However, during that six weeks, no progress at all on getting her relaxed enough to let me trim her nails. I'd play with her, give her rewards, try to hold them. I'd even had to take her to the pet store to get a pro to trim them and that was a major drama. Nothing was working - my husband and I together could not hold onto that 22lb of wiggling might to clip her nails without worrying about clipping off more than just nail.

So today we went to the vet for a trim with her check up. The visit had already started out on a little hyper note because our vet allows cats to roam free inside the clinic and I don't know if Dixie had ever seen a cat. I was so concerned she think it was just another furry toy and go crazy wanting to play (aka BITE) the toy. So I held her close, kept praising her for 'staying' and 'sitting' and 'leaving the cat alone' when the cat suddenly walked over to our side of the room and just swatted poor Dixie on the nose. Talk about rude~! She nearly came OUT of that harness but no bloodshed.

So on to the exam room and it took THREE, count 'em, THREE vet assistants to hold her down while the Doc trimmed her nails. Now, I'm not proud of this. I realize it isn't acceptable behavior and we'll continue to work on it but it was somehow a relief to know that it wasn't just 'us' (husband and me) that couldn't control her for a little pedicure. And, it was a little funny. For such a 'sweet little girl' she sure gave them a workout.

So my happy healthy baby is 'shred' free for a couple of weeks. And she still came home and resumed her housebroken routine and we had a great evening... even when I unpacked the new vacuum sweeper. She sure had a great time telling that sweeper who's boss.

Other than the great advice I get here I think the thing I love most is this is the one place I can write about such little silly things and know you have experienced the same. It's been six weeks and every day she thinks of a new way to make me laugh and burrows her way deeper into my heart.

Dixie's Mom

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I love the way you write!!! Can just picture what happened with the cat! My vet has vet cats too.....but they are polite!! LOL!!!

You know...it used to take 3-4 people to do Kelev's nails. The last time he put up a fight was when Solo was injured and I didn't have the strength to fight with him getting his nails done....so as I was visiting Solo...I have vet techs do his nails. I told them that it usually took 3-4 people to do his nails...and they had to be careful because he pulled his back out of whack once while fighting against having his nails trimmed. They fixed him. The one that was holding him.....layed over the table with him in her arms....He was pinned between her and the table! He never fought me hard again after that!

Sounds like your little one has found the perfect home!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Once I paid more than two hunded dollars to have a pug's nails cut, well I got her spayed at the same time but it was the nail clipping that I cherished. Someone on this board once pointed out that if you have a cheap plastic woven deck chair, the kind with the broad nylon bands criss-crossing, you could put a pugs feet through the seat of the chair and the pug would be helpless to protest.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

tmself is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    Once I paid more than two hunded dollars to have a pug's nails cut, well I got her spayed at the same time but it was the nail clipping that I cherished. Someone on this board once pointed out that if you have a cheap plastic woven deck chair, the kind with the broad nylon bands criss-crossing, you could put a pugs feet through the seat of the chair and the pug would be helpless to protest.

that is soo true but i never tried it with a dog but i know when my daughters little foot got caught in there it took 3 paniced adults to get it out..
    Traci- mommy to Rudy and Karli
    Honestly, i dont know what made me fall in love with pugs initially, but it's everything about pugs that has made me stay in love with them. Karlihttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055064
    Rudyhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055067
    all pug pictures: photobucket.com/tracipugmom
    Facebook.com/traci.self
    blog: tmaself.blogspot.com

LeeStrickler is offline Village Senator

Sounds like Dixie is settling into the routine at your house. Yes. I love being able to share the silly little things with people who understand.
    Lee Strickler
    Mom to Roxi, the Diva Pug, Orbit the Black Lab & Bridger, the Maine Coon.

CharlieBoo is offline Village Mayor

LOL....your pug is named after me!
    CharlieBoo

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I love the way you write!!! Can just picture what happened with the cat! My vet has vet cats too.....but they are polite!! LOL!!! You know...it used to take 3-4 people to do Kelev's nails. The last time he put up a fight was when Solo was injured and I didn't have the strength to fight with him getting his nails done....so as I was visiting Solo...I have vet techs do his nails. I told them that it usually took 3-4 people to do his nails...and they had to be careful because he pulled his back out of whack once while fighting against having his nails trimmed. They fixed him. The one that was holding him.....layed over the table with him in her arms....He was pinned between her and the table! He never fought me hard again after that!Sounds like your little one has found the perfect home!
    Thank you so much. I really love your avatar and website. I think I'd have a nervous breakdown if Dixie pulled her back out of whack - I was worried enough she was going to break a leg. The other day she developed diarrhea after taking her first heartworm pill and we (husband and I) had to give her Keopectate (for dogs) and we 'did' manage to get through that although (even using a syringe for a dispenser) I still ended up with much of it me. So did Dixie. Fortunately the Kao was pink - it matched her halter. But basically, I used the same 'laying over / pinning' method the vet assist used. Geez she's such a fighter.

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

Let me tell you about Mushu's nails. Half the time he looks like Freddy Kruger as he will not let me touch them. So I took him to a groomer and even with me helping she was barely able to do it. He screamed, wiggled, and was just histerical. He made noises that reminded me of cats mating. It was truly ridiculous. The next time he needed them cut I took him to the vet and warned them that he was terrible and I decided not to go back with him so that I didn't have to see him freak out. Not 5 minutes later they came out and told me they couldn't believe what a good boy he is as pugs are usually terrible about getting their nails trimmed. What the.....? I guess he only freaks out if he can see me as he's had them done several times since and he has been fine. I don't know if I should be offended or not but as long as someone can cut those talons I'll take it. You may want to try that with your baby. I just go around the corner so he can't see me.
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

+ Reply to Thread