Today I am doing a cool Experiment for my VET..could you do this???hahaha - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I am doing a cool Experiment for my VET..could you do this???hahaha

Lindsey is offline Village Admiral
    Eastern Washington State (The Lilac City)

Pat what you're doing is awesome!
    My in-laws do sign language and spelling with their pug. It's really fun to watch! I can't even get mine to all stay when I say it, but they do sit for me!
    Lindsey
    owned by pugs; Murphy, Jack & Lillie
    Wife to Andy (Andy9020)

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

thanks..
    the pugs picked up really easy on the sign language today..
    and now with the plugs in my ears..LOOKING into the eyes of pug is sooo neat. I will be using far more eye contact with my pugs for the next hour or so with the plugs..I am going to sit on the floor here shortly and just watch them interact with no noise....

will report back after the next hour or so...

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Very interesting experiment. I do use hand signals with my dogs, but I also talk to them all the time. Would be hard not to, I'm like Rosie pug always saying Bella stop chewing the carpet...stop biting me and Toby stop licking you sister ear!

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

arthursmom is offline Village Senator

I had a foster pug who was blind and deaf.....quite a challange, the only way I could communicate with him was by touch. He did show affection by coming and sitting next to me and when I came into his scent range, he would acknowledge me by wagging his tail. And yes, I did talk to him all the time, even tho he couldn't hear me!
    Carol
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mom to pugs Romano and Momma Mia, and waiting at the Bridge my beautiful Golden, Meg, my heart pug Arthur (Bubbie), Miranda ,Winston,Frank and forever fosters Groucho, Cornelius and Gramps.
    [

I talk to my deaf bulldog all the time here too...he can not hear me but just comes natural to talk to them..

the plugs in my ears sure gave me a chance to feel and see what Gus does ..the pugs look awhole lot different when you can not hear them...
    the bulldogs too.

I got on the floor and was reading some dog language. I think they thought something was really up with me today...

when I was able to speak..they all JUMPED up on my lap...bet they were glad that this is done for the day..
    another 2 times to do this and see how the results compare..

all and all the dogs did well
    I survived too
    and came up with some good info for the vet to add to the study too..

part of this today was treating all the dogs as if they were deaf...

it was a
    good day
    and this will help another deaf dog somewhere down the line I am sure..

Puggered is offline Village Mayor

My Velvet was deaf from birth, or at least from a small puppy. I just used hand signals with her but when she wanted to be naughty, she would literally turn her back and NOT look!
    She was a little black devil minx, that one!

LOL been there and done that here too..
    if Gus does not want to pay attention to the hand signs..he turns his back to you too..

deaf dogs do make great pets though
    just gotta learn how to communicate with them..
    that is biggest thing..
    and eye contact
    and lots of petting..they really do love to be petted..

fionag is offline Village Puppy

Hi Pat

I'd be really interested in finding out more about training a deaf dog. We have a rescue pug (also called Gus!) who is deaf in one ear but may need to have an operation which will leave him completely deaf.

Basically he had a really bad sudomonis infection last year in his left ear for about 6 months. The vet tried everything from tablets, daily antibiotic injections, ear flushes to an op to widen his ear canal but nothing worked. So he had an op to remove his ear canal and close up his ear leaving him deaf on one side. The whole episode cost us approximately 2500 - thank god for pet insurance!

He's been fine since the op but on Boxing day he was screaming in pain and we had him at the vets who said he had an ear infection in his "good" ear. The vet has sent swabs away for analysis but if it comes back as sudomonis and doesn't clear up quickly she has recommended we go straight to the operation rather than spending months trying everything else and still ending up back at square one.

So now we're looking at starting training with him in advance in case the worst happens and also because his hearing is restricted anyway so any books/websites or info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Fiona, Ruby & Gus

www.deafdogs.org
    so much info on that site..
    really has tons of info

there is great book out there..living with a deaf dog..forget the author but that is title. it helped too

the best thing you can do if find a book on american sign language..actually the deaf dog site has tons of info on it.

get LOTS OF TREATS when you begin training. I just used cheerios the other day when I did this..I had to treat all 5 dogs as deaf dogs..so just used cheerios but you could use any treat..that helps to teach them as well

the best thing to realize is too keep it simple..
    try to not communicate with your pug for a bit right now and see how you do...just use your hands for commands

these PUGS PICKED IT UP..in a few hours..the come command, the sit command and the stay command..

MY deaf bully does great being deaf. I would adopt another deaf dog ..no problem...they do just fine

any other questions just ask..

groverthepug is offline Village Admiral

Last edited by groverthepug; 05-28-2012 at 07:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast