Today I am doing a cool Experiment for my VET..could you do this???hahaha
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today I am doing a cool Experiment for my VET..could you do this???hahaha

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

Default Today I am doing a cool Experiment for my VET..could you do this???hahaha

I have a deaf bulldog and he has been to vet for a study on deaf dogs to help out other deaf dogs. a study is being put together for the Unniversity of Guelph. He spend 2 full days being tested and pampered to see his reaction to all type of situations..

NOW my turn.. today as part of the study..as to how owners manage with a deaf dog..I am
    NOT going to talk to the dogs ALL MORNING..NONE zip ooooooooooo ..lol
    and also going to wear a set of ear plugs for an hour this am. sometime too.

the idea behind this is that touch is soo important to a deaf dog as is..going to get them to take them out and so on. simple sign language is very important too.

this is too see how fast someone can deal with a deaf dog and learn.

well 6am.the crew got up. IT was frigid cold here..storming snowing and so on. instead of the usual call to get all the dogs out to the fenced in area..I had to go and get them. FORGET that..lol. I just put on my coat and they followed.

feels funny not talking to them...talk to them nonstop..hahhahahha all the time..

will be an interesting morning. I will keep notes and the vet is doing the same with all her mixed breeds today too..

I will repeat this later again next week and one more time after that..to see if the results are the same..

lets hope this study helps all deaf dogs... there are many deaf dogs in this world. so Zeena, Max and Zeus name will go in the study for the rest of the world along with Bella and Gus

COULD YOU NOT TALK to your pug..LOL??? harder then you think..being soo darn cute.

with the ear plugs.
    I will have to learn to read dog signals..
    I will not be able to hear them..and will seem very odd..
    this is very interesting to do this study

deaf dogs make great pets...by the way...I would take in another deaf dog....many deaf dogs end up in rescues and such...when all it really takes is a few simple hand signs..

I am also working with a deaf boston and deaf dalmation as a volunteer for the vets office here..to help out other deaf dogs..

have read numerous articles on deaf dogs
    and books..but to live with one is to love one

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

What a great experiment. I'm sure you will learn a LOT by trying this. It would be SO hard for me to not talk to my pugs. I talk and sing to them all the time. But, I also spend a lot of "hands-on" time with each and I pay attention to their own dog language and signals.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

PhoebesMommy is offline Village VP

This is so cool. Do you use the same signs as someone would use if a person was deaf? My bestfriends parents are both deaf. I know a lot of basic signs since she has her kids doing signs to beable to speak with their grandparents.
    Becky...Owned by one spoiled Puglet....Phoebe!!

Phoenix meet up: www.meetup.com/phoenixpug

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

Having been a breeder of Dalmatians for over 40 years, I have had lots of experience with deaf dogs, mainly testing puppies, to see if they can hear. Before BAER testing was invented, we had to home test puppies, to determine their ability to hear, so I became pretty adept at learning the signs of deafness in my puppies. Although it was fairly easy to determine a totally deaf puppy, it was much more difficult to identify a unilaterally deaf puppy, as they can hear in one ear, and not the other. In these instances, we would test by watching to see if the puppy could determine where a sound was originating from. If they could hear the sound, but not be able to identify the position and origin of the sound, then we were able to determine that they were unilateral hearing.

By the way........there is no O in Dalmatian..........common mistake, but a real pet peeve of Dal people. LOL
    Last edited by Bethy; 01-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

just a fast update here..
    into about the 5th hour of this now
    the hearing dogs are learning really fast what it means to use hand signs. basic hand signs like a deaf person would use but very simple for a dog to understand..
    come was hard to learn for the pugs first thing..but a treat helps..lol fast to teach them anything.. did not take long before they kept running when they seen the come command..
    some basic commands for dogs are by sign anyhow...

sorry about the spelling of dalmatians..
    will remember that for later..

well I soon get to plug up my ears and play with the dogs...and see how this goes..
    without me hearing.it will give me some idea what it is like for a deaf dog..I get to read the body sign language of the dogs here..

after this done..I am going on a talk fast..hahhahahha
    but for now all is silent..
    do not even have on any music here

also a fast note on the side here..
    deaf dogs make great companions..
    if anything they are more in your face then a regular dog..
    Gus is totally awesome to walk on a leash too..he stays right beside me and watches everything I do...

the other thing about deaf dogs is that they have a tendency to bark LOUDER and sometimes in the middle of the night. the reason for that is that they can get startled and also feel movement vibrations that can cause them to bark..

Deaf dogs are like any other dog really as well in the sense they they are in fact dogs..
    they eat, sleep and play
    playing can be a bit rougher with a deaf dog..that was the hardest thing to teach Gus to be gentle.

when I first learned Gus was deaf and he had the baer test to prove it..was when he went to the vet for his 2 year physical exam. just kidding I said I think he is deaf......he did not ever come when he was called and was always a bit harder to train and such. I had a guy repair my front door.and Gus slept right through all the noise.. well he was tested and he is deaf..likely since a pup..he carries the white gene..
    I taught him some simple signs and read all about deaf dogs that I could find..and he changed overnight.
    better to know then to think a dog is JUST not getting it like I did....and not know that there was a reason for it..

watch for the signs
    Maybe Bethy can post some of them for you to check your pugs at your home..and see ...what response you get to them..

back to the training..and in with the plugs..will post back later..

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

I talk to mine continually, to Rosie it's usually "who's a sweet girl" and to Pudding... NO, NO, NO and OFF
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

costumelady is offline Village Mayor

this is so very interesting. The little boy I babysit is autistic and was speech impaired for several yrs. I used sign language with him in conjunction with his speech therapy. The dogs just picked it up on their own. Tag was very good at reading sign. So now when I teach my dogs a command, I use a sign to go with it. It sure helps for times when you do not want to interupt a conversation with someone or have to shout. Kind of like stage or movie dogs. silent commands.
    mom to the girls...Stinker the mischief-maker, Runt and Tubby the new kids.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Very interesting!

I taught the hearing impaired for 34 yrs.......

I have used sign language...at least the come with Kelev for a long time.

I know that many deaf people use sign language with their dogs and they do well with it!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast