Day one in a two puggy home - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day one in a two puggy home

maggier is offline Village Governor

When I brought home Rupert as much as I adored him I was in tears, Viv did not accept him for about 2 weeks, then she gave in, now they are best friends.
    That's good to hear. Ming is my heart dog. We really have a bond. I wouldn't want to do anything to rock his comfortable world. He usually loves other dogs, but he's been pretty cold to Gus. I think he senses this is a long term thing. It's only been a day. I'm sure he'll come around. But, man, it's tough to see his sad little face when Gus jumps in my lap.

Puggered is offline Village Mayor

Another Gus-Gus! My goodness he is a handsome chap!
    One point - sometimes when you bring in a new family member it is hard not to swoon all over them, but IMO it is wise always to make sure that Ming gets first pat, first cuddle, his bowl is put down first etc. After all, Ming was there first, so it is his territory - no point in confusing him as it may lead to trouble. Once Gus has accepted your home as his new home, the two may well work out their own pack order, for now they will both find it easier if you reinforce seniority by arrival date.
    Enjoy having two!
    Last edited by Puggered; 01-09-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo as usual

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

GusGus is adorable. Congratulations on your new family member! It may take some time, but I'm sure Ming will warm up to him and they will be best friends.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

maggier is offline Village Governor

The boys are still in a standoff. The only time Ming acknowledges Gus is when Gus tries to get in my lap, then Ming humps him and growlsGus is such a great pug. I was warned about marking, but after catching him lifting his leg and deterring him with a shaker three times yesterday, he hasn't tried since. He's very smart. And loves going potty outside when there's a yummy piece of chicken after. He hasn't had one accident inside. I feel like it would be better for Gus (and Ming) if I made a decision sooner than later. The rescue I got him from has a two-week trial period. It's not a pug rescue though and I don't really like the idea of him going back with all those beagles. Oy, I'm so torn.

PhoebesMommy is offline Village VP

Hes adorable. Thanks for sharing!
    Becky...Owned by one spoiled Puglet....Phoebe!!

Phoenix meet up: www.meetup.com/phoenixpug

everdream is offline Village Royalty

He's beautiful!
    Sherrie...mommy to
    Mimi & Emeril ("Emmy")

Forever missing Pugsley~Angel, Bubba~Angel (Boston terrier), LuLing~Angel and Nikki~Angel, now playing at Rainbow Bridge.

Support Rescue!

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by maggier View Post
    That's good to hear. Ming is my heart dog. We really have a bond. I wouldn't want to do anything to rock his comfortable world. He usually loves other dogs, but he's been pretty cold to Gus. I think he senses this is a long term thing. It's only been a day. I'm sure he'll come around. But, man, it's tough to see his sad little face when Gus jumps in my lap.
    I can so relate to this, I posted many times here on PV that I was in tears because I thought I ruined Vivian's life. She just totally ignored him and he was so sweet, I think he knew on some level not to push the envelope.
    It really took about three weeks for Viv to just acknowledged that Rupert was even in the house with us.
    It's been two yrs now and as I type this I am looking at the two of them totally cuddling up on the futon together.

I got my belly bands through a rescue on line, I am totally blanking on the name, let me look and I'll post it.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by maggier View Post
    . The rescue I got him from has a two-week trial period. It's not a pug rescue though and I don't really like the idea of him going back with all those beagles. Oy, I'm so torn.
    Seriously I speak from experience give it the full two weeks and see how things are then. It will get a little bit better everyday even if you don't see it.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

tmself is offline Village VP

congrats.. dnt give up... he is pretty and i'm sure gus will adjust
    Traci- mommy to Rudy and Karli
    Honestly, i dont know what made me fall in love with pugs initially, but it's everything about pugs that has made me stay in love with them. Karlihttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055064
    Rudyhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055067
    all pug pictures: photobucket.com/tracipugmom
    Facebook.com/traci.self
    blog: tmaself.blogspot.com

PugLady3 is offline Village Royalty

What a handsome boy! Congratulations! Definitely give it at least the full two week trial period for them to get used to each other. It may take longer but it sounds like they are off to a decent start. They're just sizing each other up & determining who the boss is right now. They'll be friends in no time!
    Brenda, Bella, Duke, Yoda (hospice), Mae (hospice), Zoe (foster) and
    our angels Pugsy, Buster, & Bud waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption (NIPRA)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12