Another harness question - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another harness question

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

I was told, more than once, not to use a regular collar on a pug. Especially if they pull. I guess that can be enough pressure for some especially bug-eyed pugs's eyes to pop out. And also something about the soft palate or trachea or something. The vet told me to use a harness. But MuShu doesn't walk nicely on a harness so I use the collar on walks. I guess you just need to use what you think is best for your puggie. It sure can be confusing though. All the different advice I mean.

MandyPug is offline None

Quote Originally Posted by MuShu Mom View Post
    But MuShu doesn't walk nicely on a harness so I use the collar on walks. I guess you just need to use what you think is best for your puggie. It sure can be confusing though. All the different advice I mean.
    Same here, iz just wasn't getting any better on harness but was perfect from the start with the collar. I get horrible looks from not only some pug people and even other small dog owners. Seems like I'm the devil for walking a pug on a collar, despite her having an automatic perfect loose lead heel.

Regardless what you're using to walk them, it's not good for them if they pull and they should be discouraged from doing such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get Pugged!

Not Afraid is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by MuShu Mom View Post
    I was told, more than once, not to use a regular collar on a pug. Especially if they pull. I guess that can be enough pressure for some especially bug-eyed pugs's eyes to pop out. And also something about the soft palate or trachea or something. The vet told me to use a harness. But MuShu doesn't walk nicely on a harness so I use the collar on walks. I guess you just need to use what you think is best for your puggie. It sure can be confusing though. All the different advice I mean.
    I have seen a lot of collapsed or damaged trachea with rescue dogs lately - and quite a few of them have been pugs. I would NEVER walk my pug on a collar and I'm pretty picky about harnesses as well (don't even get me started on leashes!). The only harness I will use on my pugs is a Buddy Belt.
    "If I were a pediatrician and a mother told me, "it's just too hard making healthy food everyday for my kid, I'm just going to feed Total cereal everyday, it's 100% nutritionally complete," we'd all feel sorry for her kid. I am a vet, and when people tell me "I've found a really good dry food, I think I'...ll feed it everyday for the rest of my pets life," why don't we feel equally sad?" Dr. Karen Becker

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    I was told by a busybody at a show once that I should not have my pug in a harness. I told her that I would be changing him into his show collar for the ring as I thought she had the impression I was going to show him in a harness. But she said I should never use a harness as it would alter his posture.

I took it as a load of poppycock. I don't see how a properly fitted harness can alter posture.

That said, if you have a dog that pulls it is more comfortable to pull in a harness than a collar and regular pulling against a harness may, I suppose, build up muscle where you don't want it. However if you deal with the pulling you would not have that issue to worry about.
    The same thing happened to me at a Show!!!
    Other show people being helpful telling me not to use a harness, it will ruin her posture. Shortly after I won the class! One of the comments that is always made in the Judges written report is about my pugs great angles and movement.
    So I don't beleive it ruins the posture.

I'd never use a collar apart from when I'm showing.

If you happen to use a Buddy Belt as I do, they don't grab behind the front legs, theyre 'open'.
    Last edited by Rosiepug; 01-13-2010 at 03:33 AM.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12