Large Sherpa Bag and Airplanes - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Sherpa Bag and Airplanes

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

I just flew SW in October with my two Doxies ... 18 & 15 pounds. I purchased a soft side kennel from Amazon ... it has a collapsible, removable steel frame and a solid floor (a cutting board from Wal Mart). I got both the small and med size and wound up using the small - I think (too early, not enough coffee). The fit like a charm and we spent a week at home practicing them getting in and being stuffed under the credenza in the front room. In the terminal, I put the frame in so they had lots of room and toted them on a luggage carrier. To board, took the frame out and attaced it to the 'stoller' and stashed that in overhead.
    We used the window seat - the skin of the plane is cooler there and I only had to deal with one neighbor. We flew to Sand Diego and back from Tulsa through Houston (out) and Phoenix (back)
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I have had an airline check my dog in the bag. They said she needed to be able to stand! Isis could barely in a large....with no wheels.....I had to scrunch the back end down a bit to get it under...but she was fine!!

I used one of those small folding luggage carriers for Isis in her sherpa. Worked great...I just stowed the carrier above.

At some airports...you don't have to put your dog into the bag until you board. At others...like Detroit....dog MUST be in the bag as soon as you step foot into the airport!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Beriloffun is offline New to the Village

Winston can definitly tand up and turn around in his bag...but I don't know if that is "good enough" for the SW people, or if they would rather have him in a smaller bag where he coulnd't stand up and turn around....

So I don't know if I should just run out tomorrow and purchase the medium size or try to use the large one? The only thing about the medium bag is that it says for pets up to 15 lbs...Winston is 19 lbs, but hes very small (hes just dense and muscular).

Ahhhh help?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

When in doubt...call and ask.....
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

When I checked in with the two Doxies ... they barely gave a glance - but I did have the frame in at that point and the boys were happy to demonstrate how they could move about. We had tried the Sherpas at Petsmart ... and the Large was no where near the right size
    This is the kennel:

it measures 19.5"L x 13.5"W x 13.75"H
    It fits SW seats perfectly.
    Collapsable Kennel
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

I don't have any input but when I fly with Joy in the future it will be on Southwest so please let us know how it goes! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    When in doubt...call and ask.....
    When I called, the CS folks had little to no *good* information. It seemed their mission was to discourage flying with pets.
    So, I bought, I trained, and had a great trip. The Doxies were a huge hit with SW staff, Flight Crews, and passengers.
    Anne

-Robert A. Heinlein

Beriloffun is offline New to the Village

Thanks Pugs-R-MandyBait, you give me hope! And that is a huge carrier compared to the sherpa! :) I'm flying out tonight, so I'll report back with how it goes. I picked up a few tips from dogjaunt.com about traveling with pets too. I couldnt imagine traveling with two dogs at one time!

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

How do you guys keep them from peeing during layovers??

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    How do you guys keep them from peeing during layovers??

Take care,
    Lisa
    I planned my flights with enough layover that we could make it to the Pet Areas if we needed to.
    I unzipped enough of the top of my carrier to feed the DappleDuo Ice Chips. They did go potty in Houston on the way out, but had no interest on the way back.
    Anne

-Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast