Large Sherpa Bag and Airplanes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Sherpa Bag and Airplanes

Default Large Sherpa Bag and Airplanes

Hello all. I'm new here (and a new pug owner) so this is my first post! Hooray!

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble flying with their pugs with the Large Sherpa bags? I know that Sherpa guarantees the small and medium bags to be airline approved, but not the large. The dimensions of the large Sherpa bag slightly exceed most airline pet-carrier guidelines, but as soft-sided bags I am assuming they can squish down a little to fit under the seat. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, what about the large Sherpa with Wheels bag? I have read that the Sherpa with Wheels bags take up more space than the regular bags, and that there's less room for the pug inside. Anyone ever flown with a large Sherpa with Wheels bag before?

Obviously, I'm referring to flying with a pug in CABIN and not as cargo. Basically, I need to ensure that the Sherpa bag I purchase for our new pug will fit safely under the seat.

Also, I'm a tad concerned about the weight requirements that most airlines have, which is usually 20 pounds including the carrier. The large Sherpa bags are 3-4 pounds, so if my pug weighs in at 18 pounds or so, she and her carrier will exceed the weight limit. From reading previous posts on PV about this topic, it seems like the airlines don't weigh your pug and carrier when you check in. Has anyone actually had their pug and carrier weighed? Anyone been refused due to exceeding the weight limit?

I just want to ensure that should my pug and I travel via plane, which will be infrequently, that everything goes smoothly. I am purchasing a Sherpa bag soon and want to make sure that the large--which gives my pug more room than the medium--will still be approved for airline travel. And the large with wheels seems like a convenient option for rolling around the busy airport, but I also want to make sure that a bag with wheels will fit under an airplane seat.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

Hi, welcome to the village. Each airline has there owns regulations as to what size dog and bag they will take. what is the airline you are traveling on?
    the cabin is the only way I would ever fly a animal esp a pug.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

PhoebesMommy is offline Village VP

Welcome to the Village! My Phoebe is now 7 months old and I flew her when she was 3 months old (she weighed about 6-7lbs at the time) I bought a carrier at Petsmart for her thats airline approved. Not sure of the brand. The bag only held up to a 10lb limit. THey didnt weigh her when we went through security. I had to put her carrier through the xray machine that you put carry ons and other items through, and I carried her through the security thing for me. The carrier that I had for her was more like a duffel bag with mesh siding and different holes for her to go in and out of. That compacted down enough to fid under my seat. Not sure how to fly with a larger pug but I hope to fly her wherever I go. While we were at the airport at the terminal I saw other carriers and some had wheels. I flew through South West when I took her and in the "pet requirements" they had the dimensions of the seats. Possibly that could help?
    Becky...Owned by one spoiled Puglet....Phoebe!!

Phoenix meet up: www.meetup.com/phoenixpug

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I used the large sherpa when flying Isis to Fl for Eukanuba Shows....and again to visit my parents.

I had no trouble either time. Middle seat is best!

You do have to squish down the rear of it to get it in.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

I've only been bothered one time when flying, and that was coming home from the invitational in Long Beach. They had somehow overbooked the # of dogs on the flight and I swear they were just looking for a reason to boot someone off! The flight attendant told me my bag wouldn't fit, I politely told her "it would, I fly my dog in it all the time, and strolled on the plane" and that was that.

Normally, no one asks you anything, they don't look at your bag, I've never had them weighed, if your pug is quiet no one on the flight will even notice them. I tend to fly continental, just because you can get a boarding pass for your dog in advance on online, I hate waiting and buying it at the airport.
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

Thanks everyone! I am mostly concerned with the large Sherpa bag and its ability to fit under seats. I usually fly American Airlines and sit in the middle or window (never the aisle).

I'm glad to hear that if I keep a low profile they probably won't weigh the bag just in case I'm over the limit. I just want to ensure that she has enough room to fit in the bag while it's "squished" under the seat.

jessica is offline Village Mayor

Default hi

Hi,
    I fly quite often with my pug and mainly on international flights. I have a medium Sherpa but rest assure next time I travel to the US I will buy the large one as the medium is quite tight for any adult pug ( I bought the medium 6 years ago based on your same concerns).
    As others say weighting the dog depends on each airline and specifically on the person at the counter. Some are extremely nice with pets while some other are really picky.
    In general my advice is to keep a Low profile, get to the counter with your suitcase(s), carrier and the dog (hold it in your arms) so they can actually see his/her dimensions. If asked then put the dog on the scale without the carrier. In general they don’t care about a couple of pounds above the allowed weight, in my case they care more about having booked the pet in cabin, paid the ticket and vaccinations.
    So far my carrier has never been measured so go for the large one .....at the end is only a couple of inches more than the medium and it will go unnoticed
    Have a nice flight

groverthepug is offline Village Admiral

Last edited by groverthepug; 05-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.

jessica is offline Village Mayor

indeed, it is called "pet in Cabin" service you can search on the airline web under services of luggage and it will show if they have pet in cabin services. Most of the Island type of countries ( UK, Ireland, Malta, Australia) or even Muslim countries may not allow this as they have either strictest pet regulations or cultural requirements. Always check and get reservations before travel

Lindsey is offline Village Admiral
    Eastern Washington State (The Lilac City)

Hello & Welcome! One of my pugs has travled via plane and he was transported in a soft pet carrier, but he was just a wee puppy!
    Lindsey
    owned by pugs; Murphy, Jack & Lillie
    Wife to Andy (Andy9020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast