Do pugs share a special bond?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do pugs share a special bond?

TruPugUR is offline Village Governor

Default Do pugs share a special bond?

I have a six month old girl pug. She really enjoys the company of other dogs in our neighborhood. I want to get a second young dog or puppy. I would like to get another pug. I get such a kick of of her, I think two pugs would be great . My husband wants to consider other smaller breeds. Since she is young I am hoping she will adjust to another dog fairly easily. I see a lot of people with two or more pugs. And I see pugs living happily with other dog breeds. Any feedback on adding a second dog? Male vs female? Pug vs other breeds as far as compatability would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

When I added a second there was no question about it that it would be a pug, I just adore them. Originally I only wanted a second girl but my male Rupert wound up picking me so now we have a male and female. Pugs are pretty adaptable, if you decide on a non pug ( I don't know why in the world you would!)I would just make sure there personalties mesh.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I can only speak from person experience. I have 6 dogs - 3 Pugs, a Pekingese, a Chihuahua and a Pom/Bull Terrier Mix. While they all get along the Pugs do tend to buddy up and follow each other around and also snuggle and sleep together more so than with the other dogs. They will snuggle with the Peke and Chi but do seem to prefer each other. It also appears to me the 2 male Pugs (Ri Ki and Odie) are more laid back and Lu Ci, my only female Pug, is definitely the alpha and in charge. I would really like to get a black female Pug but am hesitant to upset the power balance we seem to have as everyone pretty much knows their place in the pack and there are very few "disagreements" (as long as Lu Ci is the boss).
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Pugs really do seem to love other pugs, but will get along well with many other breeds too. Mine love to snuggle together like two peas in a pod and it's so sweet!

A male/ female combo usually works well, but what is most important is that you consider the temperament of your pug and what temperament will mix well with your pug as far as dominance levels.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Cheyenne is offline Village Admiral

When we decided to adopt a rescue Pug (our second Pug), our vet said we would be better off getting a male rather than another female if we wanted them to get along well. So, we adopted Milo. It will be 3 years in July and I don't feel they have every really bonded in the true sense of the word. They get along OK most of the time, but I wouldn't say they are "Best Buddies". Milo wants to be close to Suki, but even after all this time, if he gets up next to her, most times she will immediately get up and move to another spot. They also do their fair share of fighting. Sometimes I think it's play fighting, but most of the time I am never sure and once in awhile it's bad enough that I know they aren't playing and I physically have to break it up. I think it just depends on the personalities of the dogs. Suki was an "only child" for 5 years before Milo came, so that might have had alot to do with it. That and her Diva attitude. Having said all that, if you really want a second dog, go for it. Your puppy is very young and will probably adjust to a "sibling" much easier than an older dog.
    Unseen they suffer, Unheard they cry.
    In agony they linger, In loneliness they die.
    Please adopt. Don't Buy.

Sandie, Mama to Suki and Milo

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I got my first pug, Scruffy a girl, when my lab was 14, when my lab died a year later, I got my second pug, a boy, then when Bo was 1, I got my 3rd pug another girl Maggie, so every one is 1 year apart and are very attached to each other. Never any problems and Bo and Maggie are always playing together.

Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful! Hopefully I will be posting we have a second pug (probably a little boy) in a couple months.

tmself is offline Village VP

well for me i have brother and sister they are 6 months old never been separated. and i never realized they would bond like human bro and sis. Karli goes insane with out Rudy around. Rudy is definitely more laid back but he will not eat food unless it's in Karli's bowl and they share. I even had to wait until i could spay and neuter them together b/c at the vet the last time for their shots RUdy was taken out of the exam room to go tinkle and Karli went nuts.. so they will have to have their surgery and recovery at the same time unless they will go crazy and i just can't have that.. i definitely think they have a bond that is soo strong i pray that nothing ever happens to them b/c one i'll go crazy but 2 i'm sure if one passes the other wouldnt be far behind..
    Traci- mommy to Rudy and Karli
    Honestly, i dont know what made me fall in love with pugs initially, but it's everything about pugs that has made me stay in love with them. Karlihttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055064
    Rudyhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/1055067
    all pug pictures: photobucket.com/tracipugmom
    Facebook.com/traci.self
    blog: tmaself.blogspot.com

cappi120909 is offline Village Puppy

I have a pug, a german shepherd and a bishon/cavalier mix....but I will be honest if I ever get my husband to let me get another dog it will NO DOUBT be a pug....but I will say all three of the dogs that I have get along GREAT! Good luck with your puppy hunting I am sure whatever you decide it will be the best decision for you and your pug...have you thought of letting your pug come with you when you look at puppies so she can help decide?
    Brandi J Cook & Eclypse Moonlight Cook
    R.I.P. Cappi Tinkerbell Cook

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It is helping me convince my husband we should get a second dog while Trudy is young and that another pug would most likely be a good companion! Good idea to bring her along when we choose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast