Do your pugs/dogs bark/growl at phantoms?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do your pugs/dogs bark/growl at phantoms?

JenniferJuniper is offline Village Mayor

Default Do your pugs/dogs bark/growl at phantoms?

Ichiban is prone to chasing shadows but I've always been able to place the object of his obsessions until recently. Maybe a week ago, he started whimpering and barking at thin air in the middle of the night. I thought perhaps he was picking up on some noise I wasn't, or spotting a shadow in the dark, but day after day since then, every so often, he dashes over to a spot on the floor near the wall and barks/growls/scratches and nips at it. There is NOTHING there. No reflection of light, no shadow, no insect.

It's actually a little distressing simply because whatever he thinks he sees seems to truly upset him. He's not being playful about it, but frantically attacking it. I actually moved a piece of furniture over it and I still caught him gazing over there.

| <(Grrr!!)
    |
    He is your friend, your companion, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”
    “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

That's a little spooky! I have no ideas except to look closely at his eyes to make sure he doesn't have beginning PK where the pigment is dragged onto the cornea and he's not seeing in that spot. It still doesn't explain why he keps going back to the same spot. If you find out what's going on let us know.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

JenniferJuniper is offline Village Mayor

His eyes seem fine, and he is definitely focused on that particular spot. If I believed in paranormal activity, I would be sure this was something of that sort like my boyfriend is, but I don't buy it. I'm wondering if it's not something I can see it's something he can smell that troubles him about that spot in particular. In addition to attacking it he did smell it pretty heavily. That wouldn't explain him staring and barking the first night but maybe that's coincidental and the two things are unrelated.

Or maybe my beloved boy has simply gone crazy. In this cold weather he certainly has been getting a lot less exercise and much loved trips to the dog park.
    He is your friend, your companion, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”
    “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Could there be a mouse or rat in the wall or under the floorboard in that area, dead or alive?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

sometimes it is a sign of deafness in dogs..
    they will bark in the middle of the night quite often and scratch and so on
    i would check out his hearing

if not maybe a shadow is casted somehow that he sees.
    a dead mouse or rat like Lisa said could be it too
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

I was going to suggest the same as Lisa. Hope its not for your sake, and I hope you figure out his problem.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

bnwebm is offline Village VP

I think pretty much everyone on here knows i'm an avid "ghosthunter" and I would PAY you to have that experience! I think my pets have been desensitized by my being very okay with things that go bump in the night. Aside from the potential paranormal, consider that if he's still attracted to that spot when you move furniture, you may have a natural explanation: an electromagnetic field. The common way to detect this is with an EMF detector that although popular among ghosthunters, is really a tool that is used every day by electricians. Animals and people can have a hypersensitivity with electromagnetic fields, because they mess with our body's own mild electromagnetic fields and can cause everything from nausea and vomiting to hallucinations and feelings that something is there, when it isn't. If you don't have access to an EMF detector, you can do some investigating of the basement (if you have one) and surrounding items, checking for excessive wires that can cause high EMF fields.

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I agree on the EMF detector. My room is the quiet spot. We moved my housemate's furniture away from one corner of his room because it had super high EMF from the main supply line outside. That corner is now a bookcase. The EMF detector we have is really pretty simple, Green, yellow, and red range. There is also a small readout but all you need is the color. BTW: Outside the house is lot more EMF, metal siding cuts it way down.

If you can't find another cause I'd also check into an exterminator. There could be something you are not aware of. I became aware of beetles chomping because Tilly was acting odd and then when it was quiet could here the beetles. At my old office there is a wooden arbor. Carpenter bees love it and in the summer you can hear them gnawing into the wood. Great for them because flowers and house in one!

Otis89 is offline Village Mayor

When Otis first came home he was doing something similar for a couple weeks. There was one particular spot on the wall he kept going to and pawing at and whining, even though there was nothing of interest there. He doesn't do it anymore though.

+ Reply to Thread