Registered or Unregistered - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Registered or Unregistered

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

Yeah and how many of your future dogs will end up dying of abuse, neglect, and euthenasia because you wanted to breed and so you did. Maybe some of us are prejudice, narrow minded and all the things you accuse us of because we have seen the ugly side of breeding in rescue work. Why don't you spend a little time doing that and see if you feel the same way about continuing to add more dogs to the over population we have now. Any time you breed a designer puppy you have created a mutt that may get really lucky and find a loving home but chances are darn good they will end up being part of the unwanted masses. You are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem.
    DappleDoxieStaff and lbgrrl like this.

lbgrrl is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by mpersico View Post
    I agree with the fact that puppies should be expensive to prevent poor decisions, and I also agree with having your dog go through all the necessary health tests to ensure there are no serious problems (or any problems really). But I disagree with breeding only dogs that adhere strictly to breed standards. A breed should be maintained, but there is no reason why there should be no cross-breeding or developing of other desirable traits.
    I did years of rescue with rabbits. Do you want to know what goes on in breeding "desirable traits"? Lots of culling--or killing, let's be honest here--of the bunnies who had "undesirable" traits. Dwarf bunny mothers who died because the "desirable trait" was to have fat, "cute" heads on the babies and so the babies were stuck in the birth canal. Bunnies whose teeth don't meet so they cant chew, because the breeder wanted the desirable trait of a fat round head. To get to a "desirable trait" there is often a very real cost. In real animal lives. I know it goes on in the dog world too--and some breeds have been ruined by it. I will let others more knowledgable than I speak about dogs. But it is the same thing. The ego of people who think they can improve on nature and play God astounds me.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

I'm certainly not predjudiced against responsible breeding. I have several friends who breed pugs and I may one day do it myself. I will do it when I have enough knowledge to know how to improve the breed. In my country, we don't have a problem with dog over population, dog abandonment etc. The reason, I am sure, is that we have relatively few backyard breeders, very few puppy mills and are not allowed to sell dogs in petstores.

It takes infinite knowledge to create a new breed. Most people who cross breed have absolutely no idea what they are doing. First of all, they choose parent animals that aren't good enough for purebred breeding. Second of all, they rarely perform the necessary health tests. Third, and worst of all, they don't know enough to consider what sort of mentality they are creating. The puggle, for instance, must be one of the worst ideas ever. You can't just mix two cute dogs and think you'll get something good out of it. Sometimes that happens. Often it doesn't. And where do those dogs end up?

I too would like to see a little more muzzle on pugs. The road to that is judges who reward pugs with longer muzzles and responsible breeders who work toward that. The breed standard doesn't require that pugs have the very short muzzles we are seeing today.
    frankoliverlucy likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

jag
    jag is offline Village VP

[QUOTE=mpersico;1543599]I . I am not sure what is wrong with having unregistered pugs and with breeding them ?[/

If you don't know what is wrong with it then you have answered your own question!!
    Lee & Judy parents of Smu

frankoliverlucy is offline Village Mayor

Hmmm...... a lot of debate here on a topic I am not 100% decided on myself. I have worked both sides of the fence@ rescues and at the vets, I think BYB breeders are a ridiculous waste of life and puppy mills are a disgust, My Hubby just payed $750 for a AKC registered male, but his papers mean nothing since his parents arent show champions, I tried to breed Lucy who is AKC registered and has a longer muzzle, We did AI and the breeding failed... I do not show Lucy, She has not won anything but our heart... Does that make me one of them?
    "I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons." ~ Will Rogers

Katie-
    Mom to Pug Children Frank, Lucy and Piglet, and Human Children Jake, Maddy Jimmy and John

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by frankoliverlucy View Post
    Hmmm...... a lot of debate here on a topic I am not 100% decided on myself. I have worked both sides of the fence@ rescues and at the vets, I think BYB breeders are a ridiculous waste of life and puppy mills are a disgust, My Hubby just payed $750 for a AKC registered male, but his papers mean nothing since his parents arent show champions, I tried to breed Lucy who is AKC registered and has a longer muzzle, We did AI and the breeding failed... I do not show Lucy, She has not won anything but our heart... Does that make me one of them?
    If you did not do genetic testing on both parents and their parents, yes. To me conformation (e.g. the longer muzzle) is less important. Registration in the AKC means squat. Heck, even puppymillers register them. What's important is the health potential of the dog. What about testing for PDE, luxating patella, PRA etc.? A breeder who doesn't check for these, shouldn't breed.
    CSollers, Cheryl7777 and Adéloise like this.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12