Would an English Bulldog work with a pug?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Would an English Bulldog work with a pug?

  1. #1
    Loopythepug's Avatar
    Loopythepug is offline Village Senator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,139

    DefaultWould an English Bulldog work with a pug?

    I've been doing some research on English Bulldogs but I have never actually met one and I'm considering getting one in the near future but would that be a good combination with a pug? I've also considered a French Bulldog which I know works with pugs but I'm just expanding my options. Another pug would be lovely too so no decisions made yet. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Pat's Crew's Avatar
    Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kincardine, ontario, canada
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    I have both
    together
    they play together
    do not usually sleep together
    the bulldog is part pug in their background anyhow...alot of bully antics are pug antcs..lol

    you have to be super careful buying an english bulldog....
    buy only a registered dog and hopefully the best you can find
    a pet quality show dog....is great
    bulldogs can have quite a few health issues .......you have to be careful
    I always had 2 bulldogs and 2 pugs together
    without an issue really
    the bulldog is far more dominant then the pug is though for sure
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

  3. #3
    GotPugs's Avatar
    GotPugs is offline Village Senator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    I have a pug and a almost 6 month old frenchie. He's been the best puppy ever and very much like any of my pugs I've ever owned. I will say he's been a bit smarter than the pug puppies I've raised.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    Loopythepug's Avatar
    Loopythepug is offline Village Senator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat's Crew View Post
    I have both
    together
    they play together
    do not usually sleep together
    the bulldog is part pug in their background anyhow...alot of bully antics are pug antcs..lol
    you have to be super careful buying an english bulldog....
    buy only a registered dog and hopefully the best you can find
    a pet quality show dog....is great
    bulldogs can have quite a few health issues .......you have to be careful
    I always had 2 bulldogs and 2 pugs together
    without an issue really
    the bulldog is far more dominant then the pug is though for sure
    Yeah I was planning on getting a show quality one to avoid major health issues, I have also read that their life span is about 8 years which is VERY short! I've thought about the fact that since they're big dogs they might not be suitable to live in an apartment, especially not in a small student apartment so I might have to give up on getting one at least for now. It's good to know they work with pugs though, thank you! I've heard they're really funny :)

    Quote Originally Posted by GotPugs View Post
    I have a pug and a almost 6 month old frenchie. He's been the best puppy ever and very much like any of my pugs I've ever owned. I will say he's been a bit smarter than the pug puppies I've raised.
    I think your avatar just helped me make my decision, he is so cute! He looks exactly like the kind of frenchie I want! Hopefully I'll get a little frenchie sister for Loopy next year!

  6. #5
    Snifter's Avatar
    Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    18,045

    Default

    Bulldogs and Frenchies are even more prone to respiratory problems than pugs are, believe it or not. I would have a good look around the show rings at the Bulldogs and Frenchies and find a breeder who does not breed wheezy dogs with overdone heads (particularly Bulldogs).


    Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

    http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com









  7. #6
    Pat's Crew's Avatar
    Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kincardine, ontario, canada
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    surprising Gus has no breathing issues
    he comes from great show lines
    he is what the bulldog should look like
    he is the right size and a bit taller
    longer tail so tail pocket issues

    bulldogs do great in apartments...
    the sleep most of the day
    alot of bulldog live well beyond 12 years
    just be sure to check your breeder
    go to a dog show and see some of them there

    gotta be very careful

    frenchies can have the same issues as the bulldog

    personally
    there is NOTHING LIKE 2 PUGS together
    they hang together, sleep together, play together...
    they are a match made in heaven.......do not ignore another pug
    Max and Zeus are insperable
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

  8. #7
    Loopythepug's Avatar
    Loopythepug is offline Village Senator
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    Bulldogs and Frenchies are even more prone to respiratory problems than pugs are, believe it or not. I would have a good look around the show rings at the Bulldogs and Frenchies and find a breeder who does not breed wheezy dogs with overdone heads (particularly Bulldogs).
    I have read that too, that's why I'm definitely getting a show dog if I go for any of those breeds, I'd rather pay a bit more than spending ridiculous amounts of money on vet bills later on. I'll definitely do some research on breeders as soon as I know for sure what I want, if I decide on getting another pug instead I'll definitely get one from the same kennel as Loopy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat's Crew View Post
    surprising Gus has no breathing issues
    he comes from great show lines
    he is what the bulldog should look like
    he is the right size and a bit taller
    longer tail so tail pocket issues

    bulldogs do great in apartments...
    the sleep most of the day
    alot of bulldog live well beyond 12 years
    just be sure to check your breeder
    go to a dog show and see some of them there

    gotta be very careful

    frenchies can have the same issues as the bulldog

    personally
    there is NOTHING LIKE 2 PUGS together
    they hang together, sleep together, play together...
    they are a match made in heaven.......do not ignore another pug
    Max and Zeus are insperable
    That sounds interesting, even though I read that they do well in apartments I didn't think a small one would be the ideal thing. Either way I take Loopy for lots of walks and pretty much everywhere I go so the dogs would only be inside mostly when I'm away. I keep hearing how pugs are a match made in heaven when put together in te same place and I've seen that for myself when Loopy plays with other pugs so that is making my choice really hard!

  9. #8
    Buddy'smom is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lacey NJ
    Posts
    306

    Default

    I have seen them together several times, I do not know why not...

  10. #9
    Pat's Crew's Avatar
    Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kincardine, ontario, canada
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    well to be honest the frenchie is far more active then the english bulldog and not at all related.....
    two entirely different breeds
    the english bulldog gets along with the pugs since the pugs are easy going as are the english bulldogs and love to relax..lol

    on the other hand 2 pugs together
    and much more fun to watch
    they sleep together
    run together
    everything is together
    if you have one glove dog.......you NOW have 2......they insist on being with me all the time
    the bulldogs not as much as the pugs for glove dogs

    some bulldogs have lived well into their teen years.......
    just depends on the bulldog lines
    look for a bit longer legs and not such a short body and check the parents for breathing big time
    they should have a health check on major issues too
    be prepared for the money factor too

    another nice dog with the pugs is the boston terrier
    and they are super great with pugs to run around together
    and keep the pugs much more on the lighter side......bostons are active and love to play........with the pugs
    two pugs can nap the whole day away if they get a chance..lol
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

  11. #10
    Tonkamama's Avatar
    Tonkamama is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I couldn't agree more about two pugs together. We got a second pug last fall and they are the best of friends and do everything together...such great playmates! They are a lot of fun to watch, too!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Pat's Crew View Post
    surprising Gus has no breathing issues
    he comes from great show lines
    he is what the bulldog should look like
    he is the right size and a bit taller
    longer tail so tail pocket issues

    bulldogs do great in apartments...
    the sleep most of the day
    alot of bulldog live well beyond 12 years
    just be sure to check your breeder
    go to a dog show and see some of them there

    gotta be very careful

    frenchies can have the same issues as the bulldog

    personally
    there is NOTHING LIKE 2 PUGS together
    they hang together, sleep together, play together...
    they are a match made in heaven.......do not ignore another pug
    Max and Zeus are insperable
    Laurie ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts