What do you feed your pug? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What do you feed your pug?

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Our two boys are on raw. They have been on it since February and it's amazing, we were buying it pre-made from my work. But for the past week we've switched to a prey model raw diet and they love it.

Before raw they were eating Merrick's Before Grain.
    Nina_W likes this.

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

My pug is raw fed, he loves it. I buy premade from a company called nutriment and add fish and bones a few times a week
    RubyRose likes this.
    Rufus, my curly tailed best friend x

RubyRose is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Pug Bug View Post
    My pug is raw fed, he loves it. I buy premade from a company called nutriment and add fish and bones a few times a week
    I've been meaning to say thanks for the tip re. Nutriment, I switched over from Natural Instinct and Paddy LOVES it. Give Rufus a tickle from me :)
    Rufus Pug Bug and Nina_W like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rufus Pug Bug is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRose View Post
    I've been meaning to say thanks for the tip re. Nutriment, I switched over from Natural Instinct and Paddy LOVES it. Give Rufus a tickle from me :)
    Its much better value isn't it! I like the fact there is coconut oil and pumpkin included, saves me giving them as additional extras now! Have u seen the baa tubes they sell? Rufus loves them and the bull pizzles x
    Rufus, my curly tailed best friend x

Buddy'smom is offline Village Mayor

I went the raw food route for about 3 years. I was very careful to make sure he got the right nourishment an I was successful. But he has terrible allergies. I then found out that the very raw food that was so nourishing was probably causing the itching I stopped and changed to Zignature. It is a high protein based food that also contain flax seeds, peas, garbanzo beans and lots of other goodies.
    It is expensive but you use so little it goes along way. I buy the Lamb mix, a 27 lb. bags costs $57.00 but lasts for over a month maybe even more than two. This is my first bag. The best part he seems to like it more than the raw chicken.
    If you are interested look up Chery.com they even have auto ship with a discount and free shipping.
    Good luck with your new puppy.

pugNgolfnut is offline New to the Village

I only feed them Acana Ranchlands. They absolute LOVE it!

EmmaDemma is offline Village Governor

Stay away from commercial jerky treats! They've been killing dogs all over the country.

I also recommend staying away from blue buffalo, they've been charged for lying on their labels about what really was in the kibbles. There's also been a recent link of their Wilderness variety with an illness: MSU researchers link pet food, dog illnesses nationwide | MSUToday | Michigan State University

I recommend a raw or home cooked diet. It is the best of best you can give your dog. There's nothing better than knowing EXACTLY what your pet is eating and it is species appropriate. I've seen dogs with auto immune disease be a 100% different dog after being fed a species appropriate diet for about a year.

If you're not willing to go with the best of the best I recommend the following high quality kibbles:
    Merrick Grain Free
    Fromm
    Taste Of the Wild
    Orjien
    Dr. Tims
    Nature's Variety
    Solid Gold
    Acana

I'm sure there's a few more to that list. Note that if you pick a kibble that has more than 25% protein, you can feed it in smaller amounts. And always ALWAYS choose grain free kibbles! Rice has a high chance of containing arsenic.

EmmaDemma is offline Village Governor

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy'smom View Post
    I went the raw food route for about 3 years. I was very careful to make sure he got the right nourishment an I was successful. But he has terrible allergies. I then found out that the very raw food that was so nourishing was probably causing the itching I stopped and changed to Zignature.
    This is wrong and you probably could of done an elimination diet and given him better results.

GooberButter is offline Village Mayor

I realize i already replied to this thread haha! Please disregard.
    Last edited by GooberButter; 01-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Pug mummie to Goober (D.O.B 09/09/13)

HB33 is offline New to the Village

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster.

My rescue pug, Potato Cake (was Jake in his previous life) was diagnosed with a Mast Cell Tumour yesterday (he is having his op next week) and after reading other pages on this website I have decided to change him from high quality dry food to a raw diet. This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if I need to do a gradual changeover or whether I can do an immediate change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast