Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonkasmom
  • 2 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 6 Post By Tonkasmom
  • 3 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: Best chew for puppies?

Tonkasmom is offline Village Mayor

Default Best chew for puppies?

Hi guys :) It's been almost 14 years since we had a pug puppy but we are looking at bringing one home in 6.5 weeks or so. Back when Tonka was a baby he loved nylabones (the spiky ones, the clear fish with bones, and the wishbone shaped one were all favorites) and then bully sticks when he was older. We went through a big greenie phase too but then there started being a lot of dogs choking on them so we quit. Anywho, I'm picking up some toys for the new puppy and feel conflicted about what's a safe chew toy these days? Nylabones have so many scary reviews now. What about the yak chews? Are those ok for puppies? Help!
    Suri likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Best chew for puppies?

Congrats ! What are the puppy details ? To exciting !
    I use Nylabones as long as they are bendable. My pugs only get chews while I can supervise.
    I used Yak and the key is find some that are safe, preferably made in the US . My pugs dentist is very picky on what type of chews to use and Gordon got a strange, rare for pugs, allergy and for that reason we do not give yaks anymore. Lolli and Murphy’s mom just mentioned fish skins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Suri and Tonkasmom like this.

Tonkasmom is offline Village Mayor

Thank you! I will definitely look into those fish chews. I imagine they have quite a smell ;) but bully sticks are pretty gross too. I remember the clear flexible nylabones and will grab one of those for supervised chew time!

I've been on a wait list with a breeder for a several months and she just had a litter on new year's eve so babies should be ready to come home around Valentine's day. I haven't chosen a baby yet but will post pics when I do. We are wanting a girl.

I found an old pic of Tonka as a puppy with a nylabone (the smallest size) that was huge compared to his little body

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Wow oh big bone and a tiny pup . Yeah the fish will be stinky .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

Here in the U.K. the Yak bars are normally sold with a recommendation that puppies should be at least 4 months old - like most dog treats really unless they say that they are specifically for puppies. I’ve never actually tried these myself as I was put off by reading that some dogs get stomach upsets from them and I’d rather avoid that myself!

Both of my pugs liked the nylabone teething ring of keys when they were puppies. They also had antler chews but those can cause issues if your dog is a hard chewer - none of mine are. Likewise mine love soft toys to play with that would be an issue if they chewed them but none of them ever have. There are also these non splintering bits of tree root that some like to gnaw on - mine refuse to even look at their one!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

AveryGavin is offline New to the Village

A few years ago this topic was very much discussed, but now there is no asset on it, which is certainly a pity. I hope that some more dog owners will join us and share what their dogs like to chew. My Jozzie just loves bacon flavored bones from Ikea, so I think if anyone is interested in trying this, take note. As of late, I have started noticing my dog crying after eating and it has alarmed me. We immediately searched the forums for answers and then went to the doctor. Turns out we needed to get blood work and a checkup
    Last edited by AveryGavin; 04-08-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

This is a post from 1/19
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread