Tomorrow's Passenger - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow's Passenger

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Crud, now the foster is freaked because he may have seizures.....

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

cwitt is offline Village Admiral

Oh he is so sweet, I hope everything works out.
    Connie
    Pugs-Sir Franklin, Captain Jack and General Douglas
    Cats-Snowy and Stubbs
    Husband-Mike
    Non fur kids--Eric, Shawn, Steph and Mikey
    Grand daughters -- Olivia and Sophie

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

there is always room for one more at an Irish table, ask me about the turn of the century dish of point herring--go get him and settle it after, probably the seizures were fear and bone numbing cold

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Jodelar is offline Village Zookeeper

I just cannot believe this... Dumped at a shelter... I will be praying for the sweet old fellow...
    Lauren
    www.jodelar.com
    Home of AKC Champion German Shepherds & Standard Dachshunds...AND 3 VERY spoiled PUGS, THE TOOTIE, TUCKER, and TOBY
    The Tootie's Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/626112
    Tucker's Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/626123
    Toby's Dogster Page:http://www.dogster.com/dogs/876560

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

The seniors melt my heart. I wish I was closer and I would be more than happy to help. If he could get to WA I'd love to foster the old little man.

Wendyrun is offline Village Puppy

oh my...
    Lisa you have a heart of gold and it really is an honor to be able to see the work that you do.
    This poor little fella melts my heart. We will never understand what motivates others to make the poor and cruel choices that they do and I'm glad to know there are people out there working every day to help....

bnwebm is offline Village VP

Really? I guess maybe if the foster has other dogs, that could be a cause for concern for his safety, but at his age, seizures aren't the end of the world. Wish I lived closer, i'd gladly foster him.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    Crud, now the foster is freaked because he may have seizures.....

Take care,
    Lisa

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Poor sweet little old man.

I took the long drive through the high desert today to bring home Grandpa. I'm sure he had a name, after all he had owners, but they didn't bother to leave it, so I named him Grandpa.

I took a number in the hallway and took a seat next to a couple complaining amongst themselves about the wait and how rescues are coming to get dogs out of the shelters to "sell" them for Xmas and make a ton of money....how he was sure there were probably a few legitimate rescues, but most were just in it for the money. I suppose he didn't notice my "Pug Rescue" sweatshirt (designed by our own GoPuggo)....or maybe he did. Anyway, I pretended I couldn't hear what they were saying. They were called ahead of me and left in a huff when they found out that it was no longer $60 to license a dog, but $120. They said they only had $60. I probably would have kicked in the rest for them, if they hadn't have made the comment about rescue earlier.

I was called next and gave them the info, signed the papers, paid the bail and was directed to the ISO area to pick up Grandpa. When they opened the door, the kennel was right in front of me....with a sign which read "soft food only", I could see a mass of fawn hair lying against the cage door. The girl who let me in called out to him loudly, but there was no response, so she reached through the door and touched him. He startled awake and his head slammed back against the cage door, opening a healing wound on a tumor above his eye causing it to ooze blood. His legs jutted out and his head wove in circles as he fought to get his bearings and stabilize himself.

The girl, unlocked the cage, unlatched it and waited for me to reach in for him because it was obvious that if she swung the door open he would flop out and fall to the ground. I put my hand on him and held him steady and eased him out of the cage. His head wove from side to side uncontrollably. His bones jutted out all over his little body and he had tumors all over. He was dirty and ungroomed. His coat was thick but coarse and tufts of undercoat were coming out all over. His eyes were hazy with green discharge and his nose was crusted and cracked.

I clutched the little fellow to my chest and he relaxed into it for a moment until he began to weave again. I kissed his fur and the tears stung my eyes. I rushed him through the kennels and lobby...I wished the couple had still been there to see the dog we were going to "sell" for Xmas. Out the door and into the front seat of the Roadster. He flopped over and struggled. I petted him and calmed him and quickly closed the door and got in the driver seat. While stroking him with one hand I quickly read the medical report.....noting as I did that this was his second time through this shelter. In 2004, he had come in and was adopted by his current owners. Six years later they sent him back. Mild dehydration, head turns to left, pet continuously circles to left, left eye appears to have corneal ulcer, possible seizures, owner request for euthanasia, subcutaneous masses........etc.

Grandpa tried to maintain his balance on the seat, his head would weave and bang into the door panel or the back of the seat and he would try to walk and would flop in a tangled heap. I would steady him and quiet him by stroking him gently but firmly. I scratched his ear and he rolled his head into it happily. Off we went. He alternated between spastic flops and stiff-leggedly bracing himself against the seat back. Eventually he fell asleep. In his sleep he shivered in pain. I had to stop at the intersection of the 15 and the 138 to pee. He was asleep when I got out, but while I was gone he must have woken and found himself alone. He was howling and barking pitifully. I slid in the seat and reassured him. Gave him more ear scratches and he went back to sleep.

I called Suzi (our coordinator) and I called my vet. I told them he was in a bad way and he needed to be out of his suffering and pain. I told Suzi I didn't want him to have to ride all the way to San Diego to see the rescue vet, that I would take him to mine. The staff at my vet said they could squeeze him in at 5:15. That would give him an hour at my house before it was time.

Once home, I snuck him in through the garage while the pack waited for me to come in through the front door as normal. I took him back to the bedroom and put him in the small crate there, thinking he would feel more secure. First I laid a soft, fluffly blanket down. But he kept banging his face against the sides so I took him out. I went to the kitchen and prepared a huge dose of prednisone and tramadol. The pred to hopefully relieve the pressure in his brain and give him a little relief...more control and lucidity and the tramadol to relax him and relieve the pain. I prepared a whole can of delicious soft food and a bowl of water. He was thirsty, but couldn't hold his head still to drink, he kept hitting the side of his face against the water bowl and getting his nose in it, but he managed to drink his fill. Then I offered the food with pills. He could smell the food but couldn't see it. He would reach down and bite the blanket, fumble around until he got a mouthful of food, then throw his head back violently and swallow. half of what he got in his mouth was strewn all around him. But he managed to eat his fill, including the pills.

I brought in Sammy to keep him company and had to take care of a couple things in the office. When I returned he was asleep on the blanket in the open crate, no longer shivering. I spent a little time petting him and taking pictures and it was time to go.

He still flopped in the seat, but he had more control of his head and his eyes showed more lucidity. The massive dose of pred would buy him a small measure of peace and dignity to cross the bridge. That and the tramadol eased his pain. I drove through a haze of tears.

At the vet we were shown to the room. They had laid a special pad on the table to make him more comfortable. My wonderful vet came in and gave him a rub and a look over and couldn't understand why the shelter had let him suffer like this. As I held him and rubbed his ears he didn't even flinch as the vet slid the needle into his rear leg. He pushed his head into my hands enjoying the sensation of a kind human touch. Then he sighed deeply and his head relaxed. We continued to pet him long after his heart stopped. My heart breaks for this sweet little man who's real name I don't know.

For Grandpa. I hope I made his exit as easy as possible....and even if it was just for a few hours he was loved very much.

Take care,
    Lisa

In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

WednesdayWaddles is offline Village Puppy

For Grandpa
    I had tears in my eyes as I read that. I'm so glad that in his last moment he was not alone.
    Wednesday
    October 17, 2008-

Buster
    August 14, 1994- February 12, 2009

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I had trouble reading this.....as I started to cry almost from the beginning!!!!

I'm so angry at the people for not vetting him.....at the shelter for letting him hurt til you got there!!!

Bless you, Lisa...for your wonderful heart and caring ways.....You are indeed an angel to pugs in need!!!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast