Hannah, Our New Foster
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hannah, Our New Foster

Denika is offline Village Governor

Default Hannah, Our New Foster

We have a new foster, and her name is Hannah. She is 8, and she is from a puppy mill. She is a sweetheart, and has obviously had a very hard and sad life.

She is terrified of all people, except my husband Jimmy. It really is weird. I mean, she is so timid and scared of everyone, that she cowers and shrinks away from you as soon as she senses you are near. (I forgot to mention, she's got very little sight too) It is so pitiful and sad. But, she absolutely adores my husband, who is 6 ft. 4 and over 300 lbs!! You'd think she'd be terrified of him, but instead all she wants to do is curl up like a baby in the crook of his arm while he's in his recliner! It really is sooo cute!

The things that worry me though are that she sleeps almost all the time and really isn't all that interested in food. She eats, but it takes her while to start eating, which is very unlike my other 3. She just doesn't care much about food at all, even treats! I started her on ZiwiPeak mixed with her Canidae, and she seems to be eating a little better since I added the ZP.

Pretty much she only wants to sleep and be near Jimmy. She seems to like the other pugs, but really doesn't "play" with them. I don't know if it's her age, her past, or just her personality, but I am a little concerned. Any advice or suggestions?
    Here she is!

Another
    Denika-Mommy to JAMIE, a two-legger, JASMINE, our new two legger, LIBERTY (Pug), JUSTICE (Pug), our foster failure SPARKY (Pug)
    Friend Request Us On Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...is?ref=profile
    Read about God Blessing Us and Our Son
    http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Oh, poor Momma! has the vet checked her over yet? If so did they do bloodwork? I would probably let rescue know that you are a little concerned and ask if you can take her in and get a thorough exam and bloodwork. Did they spay her and do her dental? If so, her mouth may be sore from pulling teeth, most mill dogs lose a lot of teeth during their dentals.

Glad she is bonded to your hubby. it's a good sign.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Denika is offline Village Governor

She has been to the vet, had her spay, and evidently had bloodwork done, but it was all done before she came to me. I have the records, and apparently all the bloodwork came back normal. Her teeth were in bad shape, but they didn't do any extractions according to the records. But, there is something in them about a couple of exposed roots?? I am assuming that would hurt, so could that be the eating issue?? She is so precious. How anyone could treat her the way she has been treated is unbelievable.
    Denika-Mommy to JAMIE, a two-legger, JASMINE, our new two legger, LIBERTY (Pug), JUSTICE (Pug), our foster failure SPARKY (Pug)
    Friend Request Us On Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...is?ref=profile
    Read about God Blessing Us and Our Son
    http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

such a sweet face... can't wait to see if that black on her belly clears up with her healthy diet now....

I would think she's probably had a pretty emotionally exhausting life.. the sleeping may be partly because she's just tired and needs some time to regroup. Also, after a certain age (my oldest is 6) they just wanna chill. Jonas sleeps much more than any of my other dogs and is most comfortable when he is simply cuddled up next to me.

Best of luck and I'm so thrilled Hannah has a good foster!!
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

gimpydimp is offline Village VP

She's lucky she has you and your husband now. What a sweetie.
    Cindy
    Our Grumble: Tucker, Otis 2.0 and Toby (I had peanuts)

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I might cook up some affordable cuts and cut them into tiny portions for her. I remember a lovely old girl from a Missouri mill who was finally xrayed to discover a broken jaw poorly mended. Jimmy is a big man with a big heart. No wonder the little pug picked him out. Are we predicting a foster failure?
    Last edited by tall grass pugs; 01-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Hello,

I had finished the post when Clementine decided to jump on the laptop and it got deleted :-(

Well, I had a dog who was in much worse shape (sadly) and also very fearful of people. In fact, the day I found her at the pound was the day they were going to put her down :-(

She was extremely underweight, had a million ticks and fleas, internal parasites, a sever skin condition, and pneumonia. She survived, and I worked with her on helping her feel safe and trust people again. She had been so baldy abused that when I would try to pick her up she would whine and cry. I thought there was something wrong with her back since it was very curved, but it turned out it was out of fear. After only a few months she stopped curving her back, and was gaining weight. After about a year she was used to being around people again almost completely. I decided to train
    her to be my service dog, and we went through all the series of classes. She did very well on all of them and to be honest I learned much more from her than she ever did from me. She never gave up and always did her best. Here are a couple of pix of her:

I had her almost 5 years. After the first year of working with her on health and social things we did about a year and a half of dog training and the rest of the time I had her she went to college with me :-D
    She got very sick over a couple days and died suddenly of kidney failure which the vet said she must have had a very long time ago before I even found her. I would do it all again you know, it is always worth it :-D

So, your little pug friend will do great with just some patience and care I am sure:)

I am now training Clementine, my pug puppy, as my next service dog. I am trying to finish typing this with her under my arms and between me and the mac hehehe...

If you have any questions or just want to talk you can e mail me at my contact addy on here, ok?

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

Max came here as a rescue at 6 months. he was beaten everyday as puppy...so he was scared of his own shadow. he just wanted to stay in the kennel and shake and shake. it took a long time to get him.........interested in anything. but he did fall in love with my sons which is odd since it was a man that hurt him. maybe he felt more secure with them. he did not play with the other pugs etiher

but now...he is full of life and plays non stop...

Max had no interest in food either...........when he came here. I warmed his dogfood up and that helped lots. the vet suggested that. another thing that did wanders for Max was a few toys that he coudl pick and choose on his own. he fell in love with a ball really fast.....

thanks for taking this girl in
    she is a sweetie pie
    but they take alot of time and alot of work
    she is lucky to have found you
    and your husband is a sweetie too for taking her under his wing..
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I just love her face, I offer no advice other than you are so kind to give her a good place to heal and be loved.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

How sweet is she, she is so lucky to have been rescued. Eddie was the same when we rescued him 4 months ago, but he has come along way. Patience and understanding is the key, I see her coming around and enjoying the life she should be having. Congrats Hannah.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast