New Puppy Pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy Pug

barbs pug is offline Village Governor

Default New Puppy Pug

I know of a woman who just had a baby who now has colic and just before her baby was born, she bought a pug. He is 4 months old. He is a male, my problem is I never had a male to potty train (No children either) Missy was rescued (my little girl pug) but she had already knew how to go outside and do her business.She was also six when I rescued her. So this is all new to me. Is it hard to train a male to go outside? I am planning on neutering him shoud I get him. Also what should I know about introducing a 13 year old cat with a puppy. I'm looking for any help before I make my final decision. I really want the pug but I need to know what to expect. I live in an apartment, so there is no chance of a doggy door.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

He will be a little hard to train but he should follow the leader a little of the time you will need to take him out every time he starts to sniff that is how I trainded mine Sassi is the only puppy I have worked with and she probably got tired of being run out all the time but it is so worth it! the cat may come around if not it will just get up on the counters and hide! mine does!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

No...just be consistent and all will be fine!!!!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I agree... Wally was the easiest in the world to train! :) Lots of consistency and treats for going in the right place, and you'll be good!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

HeathersDH is offline Village Puppy

Our biggest thing when we were initially training Wally as a pup (and Leto as a rescue) was to make sure to go outside very regularly... for Wally it was every 2 hours, day and night, for over a week.

Once we realized that he was sleeping comfortably until he had to tinkle, then would wake up and cry, we started letting it go a little longer during the night. But during the day, it was still every 2 hours.

Accidents will happen, but getting upset about them isn't going to help anybody, you or the pup.

When they realize that they will get the chance to go in the grass (ahhh, comfy!) they'll much prefer it over going indoors.

Best of luck!

Cookie is offline Village Admiral

You might have issues with the 13 yr old cat and the puppy. Puppies are very curious and can be mischievous.....cats can cause serious damage to little pug eyes. Please don't let the cat and pup together without constant and intense supervision. The kitty has seniority, and your adult pug probably pays her no mind, but the puppy will be curious and probably want to play.

Certainly they can be taught to live together peacefully, but you really have to be on your highest alert. It only takes one swipe of a claw to do a lot of damage.

Good luck with the little one, if you do decide to get him!
    ~C~

Mandy
    7/10/92-6/27/09

evfc is offline Village Governor

Buddy is almost five months and is doing well with the potty training. I don't know how male pugs compare to females but I am pretty impressed with him. He still has the odd accident if we aren't paying attention, but he's getting better at telling us when he needs to go. I am a bit worried about marking as he gets older but I am hoping that won't be an issue since we plan to neuter him in a month and a half.

Good luck!

I called the spca about when I can neuter him. They had said at 5 months. I have about 2 weeks or so. It looks like your Buddy and my Rufus (name of my little dog) are the same age. I don't have him yet so I am hoping I can get it done just after I get him. I am using the spay/neuter program they offer at the spca. Looked into getting the belly bands, just for those little mistakes. Good luck with your little Buddy!!

Fla. Pugs is offline Village Royalty

My males were so much easier than my female. All they needed was a good schedule and a big tree!
    Linda~ Bugsy Pug, Millie and Captain Jack our Schnauzers.

Miyaghi~my pug angel, July 27, 2005
    Bubba our sweet pug boy, May 18, 2008
    Luke, May 8, 2012

Well, looks like I don't get my puppy pug. The woman changed her mind because I had a cat. According to her (without seeing)that my cat was big. Molly, my cat, is only nine pounds! I am heartbroken because I was really excited about the pug. I already named him Rufus. (Pretty original for a pug) Here I was thinking that I could be a mommy tomorrow and he was going to be loved and given attention. I don't understand how someone can agree to something, especially a animal who needs love and attention. He was going to be child and companion. I think everyone can understand about how their animals are their children. I don't even think of them as animals. I'm just so upset.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast