Rescue thoughts
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue thoughts

silverlady is offline Village Admiral

Default Rescue thoughts

I have been following the posts where good folk have applied for a rescue pug and then not been accepted/not heard/been disappointed and had wondered why it has happened.

I was involved with rescuing Collies for many years, gave up when I couldn't take the heartache any more and let the youngsters take over. Well, twenty years was enough..........!!

What usually happened is that 90% of people applying applied for the "same" dog. i.e.a well marked two year old bitch, preferably neutered, good with children, the veritable "angel". Peope did not realise that we had mainly males into rescue, at a percentage of 80/20 (could be that males got into more trouble, hence ending up in rescue, especially when they reached that troublesome adsolescence ) So, that was 80% if people applying for 20% of dogs in rescue, see how the figures don't add up.....

If I had a call that said I would take any gender, any age, I personally wanted to send a limousine for them, get the red carpet out, give them tea in the best china etc., etc.,

It is not that I "ignored" people when I had jotted their details down, I just didn't have the resources to keep ringing people and saying "I haven't forgotten you",but that some people, and NOT you pug people, wanted a "Perfect" dog, that happened to come from rescue. Unfortunately, life isn't like that, so quite a few people used to go away disappointed.

Just my two cents worth. Don't know if this is applicable to Pug Rescue in the States, but it may be.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." - John Ruskin

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Although my experience in Pug rescue is limited (only two years)--I have found much the same as you have. We seem to get mostly males and fawns. Applicants are told that we can not match specific requests (I want only a female black with no issues), but will try to find a dog that best suits your family and needs. People who will ONLY take a certain type of dog are likely to get put to the bottom of the list as it is just impossible to match up often given what comes into rescue. I know that my local rescue is run by one woman who funds it out of her own pocket with some donations and fundraising. She has several of us who foster and help out with home visits and such. She is currently struggling financially due to three very ill dogs all coming into rescue together. I know that it may take her several days, even a week or two to get back to me given how busy she is (she also runs a rottie rescue, has a five year old and some semblance of a life when she's not saving dogs). People are sometimes offended that she hasn't gotten back to them right away--but her intention is not to offend--she just is swamped.

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

When the house is picked up and proper for the day, I think I will write the nice people at DFW about the black dog they call Satchmo. I am in mortal terror of anyone judging my house or finances, but the worst they can say is no and I'll have to get over that. For me, it is the cost of rescue but more the strain of a soon to be friend writing a repor on me or the house that sets my teeth on edge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Now see, you would've loved Smeg and me ;). When we called up our rescue group we *wanted* an older dog - between 3 and 6 or 7. Sex made no difference to us, nor did colour. As long as the dog was reasonably healthy. This is my first dog in years, and I didn't know if I could cope with one with a lot of health problems. There was one that only had one eye and they asked if that was an issue. It wasn't for me. Yet, we never heard another word from them. I left 5 or 6 messages. Nothing. I don't know why they never responded, if they deemed us unsuitable or what. I was really gutted that we never heard anything. I was looking everywhere. I left word down in Fla after the hurricanes that we would pay to transport a pug that needed a home. We would've paid any group and would've arranged transport, but I understand a lot of groups won't do that, as they want to maintain contact with the foster family and check in from time to time. That's a great policy and I totally respect that. But it was really frustrating how we really wanted a pug, yet it just didn't seem to want to come together for us.
    Last edited by Diosa; 10-24-2004 at 12:25 AM.

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

AARRGGHH!! I hate hearing stories like that. I would love to know WHY you didn't hear anything. It makes it so hard to sell the rescue to people when you hear these stories. I know a few people that had a bad experience (like yours--just got ignored) and now won't even consider a rescue dog. Please don't give up--ultimately, they are SSOOO worth it.

Oh, believe me. I would never consider giving up on rescue. I've spent way too much time in it (for rabbits). But it is definitely discouraging. I'm not slamming our area rescue, honestly, but it is so frustrating to say the least.

Diosa-

Being in MA also...I am sure we contacted the same rescue league...I tried calling 3x and emailing 3x...before purchasing both of my pugs... I have never had any return contact from them for all twelve of my times....

kentuckypugs is offline Village Puppy

i've done several homevisits, talked w/ specific people on the phone about rescue, had several fosters and worked w/ shelters. I've also been on a list for adopting an elkhound and they told me exactly what I've told so many. The least specific a family is, the faster they may get a pug, depending on how the visit and references check out. It seems that most was a young female and it seems that usually the majority are males. Many want none with a medical history or current problems, etc. For example, My max, who we adopted at 6, was a perfect male black pug. No medical problems whatsoever. He was in rescue for six weeks...no one was interested in a six year old male. I know many wonder how we've gotten the pugs we have. What they don't realize (with the exception of one), all of mine were rescued above age 6. Rescues also have to look at the lifestyle of the family, if children are in the home, hours away from work, if they have ever owned a pet etc. I also know that when I do a homevisit, regardless if it is for elkhound or pug rescue, I look at the same things. I do not look at what I believe they can afford financially. What I do look for is an enclosed space (If needed), proof that the dog would in fact live indoors, water bowls, leashes, beds, etc. I also look at how they would allow the dog to get outdoors (for example if they would just let them run out front vs. going out the back door. I talk to them about diet, keeping up with heartworm and reg. vet checks, what toys are appropriate, etc. Usually, the potential home goes above and beyond trying to show me their home. They are always trying to show how much their pet would be loved. the bottom line is this...the less picky a family is about what they want in a pet (color and age), the sooner they may be considered for adoption.
    Michelle
    Mom to elkies Smokey, Buddie and Bandit. Pugged by Leo, Sophie, Max, Stonewall, Pudgy and Zoe. Remembering at the bridge: Samantha, Siggy, and Jean.

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

I know it is frustating when rescues don't respond. I also help out on the other end though where it is extremely frustrating also. I send out emails all the time and I would say out of every 10 emails I send, I might get 1 response. I actually had four phone conversations with a family, drove 210 miles round trip to do a home visit. I told them that they would be approved for adoption because they were interested in a particular pug. I told them to email me that evening because they would be able to pick up the pug as soon as possible. They emailed me back and said they were not ready for another pug.

I was extremely irritated. First off, after having so many phone conversations about the adoption, and I even told them how far I was driving. Of course I don't want anyone to adopt a pug that isn't sure, but they wasted a lot of my time. I spent 6 hours driving to the home, talking to them and driving back home. People wonder why those in rescue get "burned out" Things like this happen often.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

Don't worry about the home visit, tallgrass! I was paranoid too back when I first applied to be a volunteer. Trust me, they aren't going to look for dust bunnies behind your fridge or go through your junk drawer. It's more to get a feel of the atmosphere of your home. Obviously we wouldn't want to adopt a rescue out to a person with a marble waterfall or crystal all over the place. Heck, I have stains on my carpet and mismatched furniture throws. We all sat on the floor and our Puggies ran around the house. Remember to relax, because if you are jumpy or tense, that is a red flag. One of the other volunteers had a Pug that peed on my floor - and they were happy to see I didn't flip out. LOL My Pugs RUN my household.

Keep calling until you get someone - email is less reliable. Our rescue gets innundated with apps via the website. 90% of them are laughable. Some good people like you guys will slip through the cracks, so it's important to make yourself stand out. Be flexible and offer to volunteer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast