Pug temper tantrums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pug temper tantrums

Liese is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug temper tantrums

Ok Chloé is 5 months old and has these temper tantrums when I tell her no.. not everytime but I'm guessing when my anger gets higher and she can sense that. I'm sure she's got mad at me before when I've been calm about it. She than will bark and jump around me and if I walk towards her she will go under something and bark at me. She puts her mouth on me too.. but never like a bite or a nip, more like she's headbutting me with her mouth lol. Is this normal behaviour? and how do I correct it?
    I have held her down til she calms down but she tries to bite me the whole time and when she calms and I let her go.. she can sometimes get right back into being bad and I have to repeat.
    I just need to know if this is normal puppy behaviour...

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

She's testing boundaries. It's pretty normal in my experience.

Holding her down is not a good idea - she is getting attention from you for her bad behaviour. Plus that kind of restraint can be threatening to a dog. Best to ignore and put her in time out. Also work on training her to do things like sit, down, give paw etc. If you can redirect her from bad behaviour to perform a good one like sit, so much the better.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I agree with a time out....telling her either no bite....potty outside...etc!

If Stormy, who's the same age, potties in the house.....I yell at her....bad girl...potty outside...and put her outside. Then she comes in ...is shown where she pottied ....told she was bad and put into time out for 10 min. Then she's taken outside and whether she potties or not...all is forgiven. No treats unless she does potty tho!

I use her cage for good stuff (with treats) and discipline too (no treats)...My guys LOVE crates! If there's one out...they go right into them! If I cannot find Kelev...he's in one to get away from the younger guys!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

jstpugginalong is offline Village Admiral

I agree, she is definately testing her boundries LOL! (Kind of like a 2 year old child when they are told "no"). I don't think you should use the "holding her down" because it can cause behavior problems later on, a simple time out with no attention or treats will soon teach her that her temper tantrums are unacceptable behavior ( ;
    Teri
    Mom To
    RosieBearTrooperSadieHoss
    Fabulous Felines Quinn & Mia
    &
    My Beautiful Quarter Horses & Paints

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

My three year old pug Zeena here...was teasing the dogs and put on a balaclava on my face...and she barked at me for a few days afterwards to let me know she did not like that...but then she gave up. I just ignored her and she was fine..
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Liese is offline Village Puppy

Yea Just after I wrote this I started thinking new ways... She goes on time outs and that works okay. But I started ignoring her when she tries to jump on my leg and bark at me lol.. and she eventually just stops. I just hope she doesn't think she wins lol. At my brothers, instead of holding her down, I decided I'll give her a time out area by tying her to the banister and it seems to work cause she sees us ignoring her and than she sits and waits for me to let her go..and instead of running right back into what she was doing, she's had a few mins to calm down.

Has anyone experienced the watery eyes? lol... I've read that pugs are very unique and can... Makes me sad cause it's so cute and so sad at the same time lol.

+ Reply to Thread