pulling and chewing my hair!!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pulling and chewing my hair!!

mar
    mar is offline Village Puppy

Default pulling and chewing my hair!!

Dex is 6 months... and in the past 2 months he's started jumping for my hair - grabbing it with his teet and just going to town with it.

Is this normal?
    I get him to temporarily stop by calling out commands like; sit - paw - lie down... but it only lasts a split second before he lunges for the hair again.

What to do?

Beautifully_Chaotic is offline Village Governor

Its probably normal because my 3 month old pug does it too! I don't know how to make him quit other than to never lay down around him, wear a pony tail 24/7, and cover my hair with a hoodie when thats not enough. So definitely will be watching this thread!
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

Natablue is offline Village Mayor

My one year old pug does it too - she has ever since she was a little puppy.
    I can't get her to break the habit, I've learned the warning signs that she's about to lunge - and I warn everyone with long hair who comes into my house to look out!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Oscar does this on occasion too. He did it all the time when we first rescued him at a year old. I have hair down to my bottom so I had to do something. In the beginning I wore it up because I didn't want to be worrying about that with everything else. Now I use "trade". It seems to work with everything he has that I don't want him to have. He's go for my hair, I say "you wanna trade?" He lets go immediately to see what I can get him that's better than my hair - i.e. a toy, treat, bone, etc. It has almost put a stop to it. The only time he goes for it now is when he's doing the Pugtona (zooming around the house).
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Joy gets on the back of my chair and combs my hair with her wee fingers! Feels pretty good! LOL

morgan loves pugs is offline Village Puppy

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd reply anyway (I haven't had time to come on the forum lately). A lot of puppies love to chew hair, I don't think this is specific to pugs. However, pugs seem to do puppy behaviors longer than many other breeds.

evfc is offline Village Governor

I am glad I am not alone! Buddy does this to me constantly! I thought maybe it was because our breeder had long hair but it sounds like a common puppy thing.

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

My daughter has long hair, she lays on the floor and the dog comes out of nowhere in full throttle just licking and trying to eat he hair. It is not just human hair either, she loves doll hair, and stuffy toy hair too.
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

+ Reply to Thread