How to do a 'suitcase leash' - the kind way to correct a pulling dog *PICS*
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How to do a 'suitcase leash' - the kind way to correct a pulling dog *PICS*

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Default How to do a 'suitcase leash' - the kind way to correct a pulling dog *PICS*

Step 1: take a section of your (for a pug) 6 foot leash in your hand about the length of the dog's back (from the collar)

Step 2: wrap the free end of the leash under the dog.

Step 3: pass the free end of the leash under where you determined the correct length to be

Step 4: pull snug, not tight

Step 5: position the loop around the dog's flanks, with the slip over his back. If you have a boy, make sure it is behind the boy 'puppy part' so not to hurt it.

Voila!

You are ready to walk with the joggers, skateboards, strange dogs, cars and bicycles!

Be sure the praise profusely and/or treat when puppy stays at your side with a loose leash. Pulling causes self correction, or you can give a quick tug-release if you need to correct a growl or bark. The release is important -- you want there to be a momentary pressure to distract puppy, NOT a sustained squeeze. When puppy is proficient at walking beside you on a loose lead, phase this out by leaving it looped very loosely as you walk, then take it off until you reach areas where bikes, etc are likely, then just loop it on again. Leave it loose as much as you can even then, and then discontinue entirely when there is no pulling at all. This can be used indefinitely, or restarted after a hiatus as a reminder.

Thanks to the ever-photogenic Wally for modelling, and to Leto for barking encouragement from the other side of the glass door.

Happy trails!
    Kat, AbbyGus, pug love and 7 others like this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

This is a great idea! Thanks for posting pictures for it. I hadn't heard of it before reading about it here on PV.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

Thank you for the tutorial!
    Wally is a wonderful model! Love the last pict of Leto looking out the window at Wally with the ..."aren't I going for a walk too?" look on his face!
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

great idea!
    what a handsome model too!
    love his smile in the 2nd pic

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire - 3/15/06 - 6/30/22
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Thank you SO much for taking the time to do this - I can't wait to give it a try! Leash aside, your model and his audience are precious!

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

What a great lesson and the model is so cute! Poor Wally, "Mom oh mom I'm in here!"
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

great tutorial
    love it
    love the pics too
    Nice of Wally to be so patient to take all those pics..
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

bnwebm is offline Village VP

Excellent information, could you send Wally to each of us to practice?

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Wally is a great teacher because he's a little devil right now. He hasn't done this since he was pretty small, but he'll run to the end of the leash full tilt, leap in the air, and use the leash as a pivot to spin and face back the way he came! Taking the photos was a challenge because he wanted to face me and smile for the camea -- it was hard to convince him that I wanted to see his side! LOL

And yeah. Poor Leto, thought Wally was getting treats. Or we were leaving without him. Or something.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

jules is offline Village Mayor

<------this is me right now (Maurice is less enthused)

Honestly this is the most effective and quickest thing to ever work! Maurice was a perfect little walker as a puppy...and then my brother took him running, thus the pulling started. I had to be vigilant but I could get him to walk nicely. And then we got Dickens, and it was more difficult to manage (since Dickens has that terrier-anxiety when we walk). And then we got Sweet Pea, and I just gave up. Maurice would be happily ahead slightly pulling, and I'd concentrate on the other two staying in line. But I tried this just now and WOW did it stop Maurice from pulling! And never once was pressure applied--he just disliked it enough being near his rear. Thank you thank you thank you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast