I need some serious help!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need some serious help!

aefiction is offline New to the Village

Default I need some serious help!

I really hope all you pug lovers here will help me!!! I love my pug, Dita. She is perfect, took right to obedience training, doesnt chew things, and is fabulous with my son. My hubby and I both adore her. However, she is over a year old and STILL not housebroken!!!!!!!!!! I have tried everything. She was crate trained, but even though the crate was only big enough for her to stand up and lay down in, she would STILL poop and pee in it (and lay in it! she was never in the crate more than an hour, she had a small designated area only big enough for herself and a potty area. her food is in her crate). she has pooped in all of her doggy beds at some point. (she even hopped into my bed once and pooped on it too.) She has pooped in her food dish. She pooped on the couch where my hubby was sitting as soon as he got up. She poops at his feet. Crate training doesnt work, positive/negative reinforcement doesnt work, and the vet says theres nothing wrong with her. I just dont know what else to do. She wont housebreak, and we moved on to litter training. The litter is great because now she NEVER pees on the floor, only in the litter. But she only poops there maybe a third of the time, and I keep it clean always!!! I am home with her all day, I am just at a loss as to what is wrong. She came from a reputible private local breeder, not a puppy mill. She has fantastic pedigree, (although she is a bit on the small side.) Her puppy living conditions from what I could tell were awesome. I have a lot of expereince training (larger) dogs, because my parents have always bred Alaskan Malamutes.

I really love her and do not want to give up on her. But if this continues, I think she is going to drive me bananas.

I would also like to say that I only feed and water her once a day, although I do leave it there until she eats it. (i used to pick it up after an hour, but I was concerned she would get hungry...she is really really small for a pug.) For a pug, she doesnt really eat much. I do not understand how she could have that much poop.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

We feed twice a day, our dogs would not be able to eat their entire day's calories all in one sitting. Water should also be available all day long -- pugs overheat easily and dry out from mouth breathing. Also because they are prone to bladder crystals and stones, they need to flush continuously.

What food are you feeding? Maybe something in it is bothering her guts and making it difficult for her to control her bowels.

What happens is you take her to the littler every hour to poop, and give her a special high value treat especially for pooping in the right place?
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

If your vet has ruled out a UTI, done a fecal test and checked for any other health issues that would cause this, then I would go back to square one with her and you MUST be VERY consistant!!! Also, I would feed her twice a day and not leave any food laying around....keeping her on a schedule should help with the potty training.

I unearthed this oldie, but goodie potty training thread and have attached the link below. Follow it to a tee and you should be able to have your baby trained. Best of luck!

https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/pug-...etraining.html

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Thanks for the replies! I have started taking her over to the litter as I would if she was being housebroken outside. She has a weird issue with not going in front of me, so it takes a really LONG LONG time before she gives in and does it, lol. But she has been going in the litter consistently today and actually went in there without me and came to me for a treat. I guess something I did previously didnt click in her head that "potty in litter=treat".

I have never changed her food brand, I always use what the breeder recommended. Sometimes I give her a pouch of little champions wet food because she absolutely loves the stuff and I know she will eat the whole bowl, even if I am standing there (she wont usually eat anything in front of me, except treats).

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I asked about the food brand because sometimes breeders do not recommend the top brands (for whatever reason). She may do better with something with a lower or no grain content. Many of us here use Acana, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, or raw for that reason.

Glad the treat thing finally clicked for her!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by aefiction View Post
    I would also like to say that I only feed and water her once a day.
    Just re read your post and I just want to say, she needs to have access to water all the time, not just once a day. I can see how that could cause a problem.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

+ Reply to Thread