New puppy pug vs. older / smaller dogs...
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Smart Pugs

Thread: New puppy pug vs. older / smaller dogs...

elka is offline New to the Village

Default New puppy pug vs. older / smaller dogs...

Greetings everyone! I have just made a quick introduction in the Meet and Greet area, and here I am now!

I am hoping to get tips and tricks or opinions.

Here is the story: To begin with, I am not proud, but I did buy the puppy at a pet shop. I never did that in my life, always from a home breeder usually. But oh well, what's done is done. It was as if a lightning struck me when I saw this little boy: call it love at first sight...

But honeymoon was soon over. As fast as the first day, the nightmare began. As much as we want to love him, to pet him, we simply can't. Right now, we're all super sad and stick to our stomachs in the family because all Bento does is pretty much sit in his crate, crying. As SOON as he is out, he starts biting us until we BLEED, and traumatizes our other dogs. See, he isn't 6 months old yet and is huuuge compared to our 3 pounds chihuahuas... So whenever he "plays" with them, he's almost killing them. He won't stop, no matter what trick we've tried, and it's been 12 weeks and I am here nonstop as I don't work right now... He refuses to be touched, petting him, he doesn't care about it. He doesn't mind when our other dogs scream because they are hurt, he won't stop. He bit my son even in the face. We have bleedy scratches everywhere. Serious.

Now I've been reading, reading, more reading, watching forums, videos on YouTube, trying it all. Nothing works. Even the vet said he might have a serious issue... I've been secretly crying at night because I am overwhelmed and always thought it was SO lame to buy a dog and then sell it because you can't take care of it... But as it is right now, I am considering it. We're heartbroken, but we just can't let him kill our dogs. We have him for 3 months now and already one of my dogs lost 1 pound (that's a LOT when you weight 5 pounds...) and won't eat. And the other one just will poop everywhere in the house because she doesn't wanna go anywhere near him, so she does it whenever and wherever she can.

So yes, I know it sounds like a lot of complaining, believe me there's also some cute and some positive, but right now I am focusing more on what's wrong since we are seeking your knowledge and assistance...

Anyone has had a similar situation? Do you think after his castration his behavior might change? Thanks so much for your patience and understanding!!

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

Firstly, stop beating yourself up - when you bought the puppy you didn’t know this would happen. Along with our two pugs we have four chihuahuas (so completely understand how small and fragile chihuahuas can be).

From our experience we would say the first thing to do is rule out any health issues. Did your vet do any tests or give you an idea if anything is actually wrong with your puppy? Do you have a really good trainer or breeder in your area who might be able to come and asses your puppy? Does he get enough exercise/time to run about and go a little mad on his own?

We know how heartbreaking it is to give up on a dog - but realistically, the safety of your family and the other dogs must come first.

It is not fair to think you can sell your puppy - he needs to be re-homed with somebody who help him - perhaps speak to a pug rescue.

We are thinking of you ....

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

Sorry to go off subject but you need to get the little Chi to eat! I'm sure you already know that Chi's are prone to Hypoglycemia, it is a real
    risk with such a small chi, especially with one that has lost a quarter of his bodyweight

lots of luck, Sara x

Smartie, Audrey, Noah

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

elka is offline New to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Pugs View Post
    Sorry to go off subject but you need to get the little Chi to eat! I'm sure you already know that Chi's are prone to Hypoglycemia, it is a real
    risk with such a small chi, especially with one that has lost a quarter of his bodyweight

lots of luck, Sara x
    Thank you for your concern, Sara, it's appreciated! Don't worry, we got him to eat. What I do now is save them some "chi" time and put them in their cage, safe and alone, to allow them to eat, and to get them to want to, we changed their diet a bit so that this new food is more appealing. So far so good! I have had dogs all my life, all kinds of breeds etc. and always had superb animals, intelligent, behaving, trained, etc. So at least we're not clueless... But my girl simply does her peepee and poop everywhere in the house since we have Bento, and that, I haven't figured what to do yet. She is so scared of him that she will go hide herself, like a cat, and that's all she does all day (she is super small, 3 pounds, so whenever he touches her, it really does hurt her :/)

As far as vet goes, she did say he had a serious behavior issue. She said pugs are weirdos (we all know that here don't we LOL) and are usually that exicted and stuff, but 50/50, as in, getting some rests too... He doesn't. Ever. And that biting until there's blood well... That's the big issue. So yes, obviously we will need to find a professional trainer, no choice. I knew that even before coming here, but since money is tight (we just got married few weeks ago, oof, the debts!) and that wasn't expected so... And finding people that would do that for free or nearly free is just not possible I guess. Not in my area anyways...

So anyways I wanted to know how it went for people that already had older chis and brought some pug pups home. Their ways with them. And if you found some tricks that helped. If you remember anything how it all happened for you, let us know! :D Thanks so much for your time!!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Is there any way you can make a separate area for him where he can still see & hear everybody & still get plenty of attention without being able to pester the Chi's constantly? I'm thinking he isn't getting enough exercise since he has to stay in his crate all the time, & he is probably jealous of the Chi's getting lots of attention, too, when he can't get to the humans....he needs lots of toys to chew on, & play with. Nylabones are good, & when our pup was young we used to give her pig's ears. He needs to go on walks with you. When he bites or gets too rowdy, I'd tell him "no bite" & put a toy in his mouth instead. Turn your back on him & ignore him when he's jumping up or being bitey. When you give him a treat, don't let him grab it out of your hand--if he tries to, hang on to it & tell him "Gentle!" when you offer it to him again. He should learn what that word means. He only gets the treat if he takes it carefully. To me, it sounds like he needs lots of training, which maybe should have started earlier in his life. Have you taken him to obedience lessons? Sounds like he needs to go, & if he isn't neutered yet, and if he is old enough, I'd get that done, too. Good luck--I hope you can get his behavior under control so you can enjoy the little guy soon!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Quote Originally Posted by elka View Post
    So anyways I wanted to know how it went for people that already had older chis and brought some pug pups home. Their ways with them. And if you found some tricks that helped. If you remember anything how it all happened for you, let us know! :D Thanks so much for your time!!
    We have been very lucky - we had the four chihuahuas when we introduced our first pug (Smartie) - she is particularly gentle and we had absolutely no problems. We began by walking them altogether so they realised from the start that they were all one pack. Our new puppy pug (Crunchie) is a bit more lively so we make sure that the pugs and the chi's are fed separately as Crunchie bounces around in excitement at feeding time! We let our two smaller chihuahuas into our bedroom during the day for a bit of peace and quiet. When we go out the pugs stay in the kitchen - we have a lot of stairgates so we can give them different areas. On the whole they all get along find but we never take chances as the pugs are quite a bit heavier and silly and the chi's are so small.
    Tinker's mom and sally-uk like this.

Smartie, Audrey, Noah

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

You might try obedience traaining and several walks to wear him out! Puppies have lots of energy and settle down when they get older.If you can't do that, contact a pug rescue in your area and let them place him. I'm so sorry you're having such a problem, let us know what you decide!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

YoshiThePug is offline Village Puppy

I have somewhat of the opposite problem. Our pug puppy, Yoshi, LOVES to play and shows it with his body (low head, butt in the air, tail wagging, and barks as if trying to say "play with me!"), but our 8 year old 8lb chi wants none of it. She isn't aggressive, but jealous and will try and keep him away from all toys, even if it isn't her toy.

She seems to be slowly warming up to him...sniffing him, walking next to him without snapping, sleeping in our bed together. After all, he is a puppy and she is a calm, older dog. She just needs to acclimate to him.

+ Reply to Thread