Peeing on the Carpet
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ragamuffin68

Thread: Peeing on the Carpet

ragamuffin68 is offline Village Mayor

Default Peeing on the Carpet

My pug bunk does something really strange: When he pees outside he squats down really lowing while going, but when he's in the house he just pees in a regular standing position. I'm trying really hard to give him more time outside the crate, but it's really hard to give him the freedom when he pees every 15 minutes.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

How old is he? Is he marking in the house,doesn't sound like it because he's not lifting his leg.If he's peeing that often, I would be suspicious of UTI.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I agree, every 15 minutes is a LOT. I think I'd be checking with the vet.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Really? What would the other signs be?
    How would he have gotten it?
    I'll definitely check with the vet on that

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Make sure he is really passing urine.He can run a temp,pass cloudy or bloody urine,scoot around on his butt,become lethargic and not eat or drink like he normally does.Sometimes they only have the frequency. Let us know what the vet says.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Is he lifting his leg? Sounds like he's marking if it's every 15 mins. Does a lot of pee come out? Or just a few drops? Usually they do lift their leg to mark, but maybe he's just different! If you can catch him about to do that, scoop him up and bring him outside RIGHT away, but if you can't catch him - then just clean it up and go on about your business. Sounds like no one told him the proper way to mark, and he's just doing his own version!! :)

Kara
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

Just got back from the vet's, Bunk had traces of white blood cells in his urine so the vet recommended antibiotics.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I REALLY APPRECIATE advice to take him to get checked.

The vet said there's a chance that nothing is wrong, but that it's better to be safe than sorry, and in this case I'm just happy we caught a possible infection before it got out of control.

So Bunk say thanks!

newpugmomma likes this.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

What a cutie-pie.

I think you (and possibly the vet) need to have more details. They must have done a urinalysis in-house, right? If so, they should be able to tell you what the pH of his urine was and if there were any crystals or stones. In fact, I recommend you pick up a copy of the urinalysis report so you can see for yourself. The antibiotics may or may not work. Different antibiotics are effective against different infections. If the problem persists, I would recommend another urinalysis and have them do a "culture and sensitivity analysis". This is where they take the urine and culture/grow the bacteria in a petri dish for about 3 days to determine what bacteria are present. Then they do the sensitivity test to determine which antibiotics will be effective. But he will have to be off his current antibiotics for at least 5 days before this is done so the results are not distorted. And you must also ensure the urine is collected in a sterile container and analysed within an hour. I do it on the property of my vet in previously sterilized containers just before our visit.

Finally, I would highly recommend you purchase pH testing paper so you can check for infection at regular intervals (e.g. every month). These are the papers I use: Genuine Health pH PAPER - 1 ROLL - pH BALANCE - National Nutrition . They last forever. Normal dog urine is within the range of 5.5 to 7.2. If it is above this, the environment is ripe for the development of struvite crystals. If it below this range, the environment is friendly for the development of calcium oxalate uroliths. Struvites are more common than COUs and are more easily eliminated, especially if caught early.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Pugpillow; 09-20-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

+ Reply to Thread