My pug is scared of her leash
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My pug is scared of her leash

KarmagraphyBM is offline Village Puppy

Default My pug is scared of her leash

I need help leash training my pug puppy who seems to traumatized when her leash is on. I think it's mostly my fault this happen, because i would just pull her back every time she tends to run and my kids saw that. So when my kids had the leash my puppy started running and my youngest son who is 4 just yanked her back really hard and my puppy shouted. Now she is traumatized every time we put the leash on her. Now she wont even move when we take her out to potty or even a walk. What can we do to help her get over it? Please Help.

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

I am not an expert by any means since I struggle with my own pug with leashes. His is more of an excitement issue though. I would think getting her to associate the leash with a good thing would help. Try putting the leash on the floor and when she sniffs it or shows interest in it give her a treat. Then maybe you can slowly build up to putting the leash on her and nothing more(not walking with it in hand..just let it lay by her side) and do that for short increments of time but making sure to treat her when she is accepting it. Then try moving to holding the leash in hand and treating her as she walks beside you.

Clicker training is a popular method that you may want to google and look into. :) I would definitley not let the kids walk her until she is over the fear of the leash.

Oh, btw, welcome to PV! I would also suggest putting her in a harness instead of a collar when walking since they are sensitive in the throat area. It also can encourage pulling so you want to make sure you are training her to walk beside you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ty, she is in a harness. i will try and work with her, using your method's hope it works. Any tips on how to train her to walk beside you instead of her trying to pull you every where? Someone told me to just drag her a bit but that never seemed to work, it just traumatized her even more :(

I am still trying to figure out that myself..lol. I think the most important thing is to treat her when she is walking by your side. I would highly recommend you look into clicker training. I have tried to do it and need to put more effort into it. Also, reading up on Victoria Stillwell's methods can be helpful too.

Here are some links:
    Clicker Training Basics | Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Leash Article
    How to Teach Loose-Leash Walking | Karen Pryor Clickertraining

Victoria Stillwell
    Victoria Stilwell Positively*|*The Official Victoria Stilwell Website

Good luck! Oh, we love pictures on PV!!! :)
    EmmaDemma likes this.

EmmaDemma is offline Village Governor

I want to start off with, a harness is NOT for EVERY pug.

Emma does best in her collar. Put her in a harness and she is confused, lost and uncontrollable.

DO try to explore using a collar. Harnesses ENCOURAGE more leash pulling.

I have tried just about every harness on Emma. And they all make her act the same. The only harness I haven't tried is: Premier Easy Walk Dog Harness - New Puppy Center - Dog - PetSmart
    I'd REALLY like to try it. And if you are really dead set on not trying out collars with your pug, I strongly recommend this harness. It's design redirects your dog's pulling, stopping them dead in their tracks.
    In my experience it doesn't work well with big dogs. It works best on smaller dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaDemma View Post
    I want to start off with, a harness is NOT for EVERY pug.

Emma does best in her collar. Put her in a harness and she is confused, lost and uncontrollable.

DO try to explore using a collar. Harnesses ENCOURAGE more leash pulling.

I have tried just about every harness on Emma. And they all make her act the same. The only harness I haven't tried is: Premier Easy Walk Dog Harness - New Puppy Center - Dog - PetSmart
    I'd REALLY like to try it. And if you are really dead set on not trying out collars with your pug, I strongly recommend this harness. It's design redirects your dog's pulling, stopping them dead in their tracks.
    In my experience it doesn't work well with big dogs. It works best on smaller dogs.
    This is true also. I would think the younger one starts with collar training the better. I am using the "suitcase leash" method with rebs because he does pull with a harness... however, he pulls just as much with a regular collar on..

she's fine with a harness and/or collar. she just dislikes the leash.she would just stop and hide like shes scared of it. I really wanna fix that

EmmaDemma is offline Village Governor

One way I would tackle this issue is:

Catch pug
    Reward pug for being caught
    Leash pug in hand
    Reward pug for being leashed
    Let pug roam around the house with leash on
    Reward while roaming

Remove the leash after a minute of roaming
    reward pug after leash is removed

rinse and repeat, extending the time of roaming with leash every time pug starts to show relaxation.

Also, I wouldn't let any children hold my dog's leash. I don't even trust teenagers to hold my dog's leash.

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

**I want to start off with, a harness is NOT for EVERY pug.**

I am going to disagree. These are dogs with a high physical propensity to injury when pressure is applied to their trachea. That your dog is uncomfortable in one ... speaks of training issues or lack of exposure, not physical discomfort.
    Actually ... I cannot think of a breed of dog that would be better with a collar only ... just too easy to do damage with a sudden lunge or unintended jerk. Collars are great ornaments and great tag holders ... harnesses are for leashes ;-)
    CountryPug likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast