+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 3 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By Hellas

Thread: Dominant Pug

megan21elizabeth is offline Village Puppy

DefaultDominant Pug

Okay. I'm in serious need of help. My pug thinks she is the alpha of our home. She pulls pillows off couch and uses them as her toys and bed. She bites at me when I'm on the phone and won't play when she is hyper sometimes. She constantly stands at my top of the couch and looks out the window and barks. It is impossible to lay on the couch with a blanket bc she thinks it is hers and bites at it and pulls it off. Help. I need my house back. Any reading suggestions or advice would be helpful!!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Obedience classes if you haven't done that already.Crate her for short periods to discourage behavior you do not want, praise and treats for good behavior.Walks to get rid of her excess energy.You have to have the mind set you're in charge! Step in front of her and make sure she sits and calms before going out.You have to set a schedule and stick to it for consistency so she'll learn what to expect.There is probably something on one of the forums here or you can read Victoria Stilwell.Others will chime in also.Good luck! You are the pack leader!
    lisamak, Hellas and plmrsix like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

How old is your pug? I'm asking because some of these things sound like puppy behavior to me.
    Regardless of her age, obedience classes will help! Find a trainer who uses only positive-based methods and get her enrolled.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

NatalieandRufus is offline Village Puppy

If she's walking in front of your feet or herding you, that's alpha behaviour too. Keep walking where YOU want to go. Now, to avoid kicking her, if she's really close to your feet keep moving forward in a shuffle. Don't lift or swing your feet, just keep moving.

Another good trick is to do with their food. If you feed them and then wait for them to discover the food, they think they hunted it. Fill her bowl, make her sit, then lower the bowl to the ground so that she knows you're giving it to her. If she stands up before the food is on the ground, pick it back up again. Keep doing this until she stays sitting until the food is on the ground. She'll definitely know you hunted the food for her!

Tugging games can also perpetuate dominance problems. If you play tug games, stop. Some dogs just get way too aggressive with them and have big dominance attitudes.

I hope that all helps!
    The pug is living proof that the gods have a sense of humor.

~Margo Kaufman

lbgrrl is offline Village Mayor

My Beatrice thinks she is Queen of the Realm too. I have worked with a trainer, and it helped a lot. However, we do still have issues. It takes time to work out. Beatrice was such a delightful hostess this week--not! I had a friend stay and Beatrice just acted the fool. She was wild and crazy (and I should have crated her first off, I know this now). She peed everywhere--my friend's clothes, her bed, my bedroom floor, the kitchen--she was just horrid. I called her trainer, who said Bea was pitching a fit because she was not happy with a guest in the house--even though she liked my friend (or appeared to). So it was back in the crate, even overnite--which she does NOT like. We then went to Vegas for two days, and Bea went to the kennel. Oh what an attitude adjustment we have now :)

Loopythepug is offline Village Senator

I agree with what has been said above, I've done that with mine since day one and we haven't had one dominance problem so far. Personality wise he isn't dominant at all do I take it that he made things very easy for me, either way these exercises are great and actually fun to practise. One of the things I do with Loopy is always stepping outside before him. We don't do this much inside the house but when we go for a walk he sits and waits until I go out the door and when I tell him to come, he comes. At the moment he does this naturally but it took some time to practice. I also have him wait for my permission to start eating. In the beginning he jumped and barked when he saw the bag of food (I had to hide it) but now he knows he's not getting anything until he sits and calms down. One more thing you can do is occasionally grab her food while she's eating, just take it away from her, touch it a little and then put it back. If she doesn't care that's great, if she growls or barks have her sit down and wait for you to give her the food back again, keep doing it until she doesn't care if you "steal" her food.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

I'm sorry but this is not dominance behaviour. There is no such thing as inter species dominance or inter species hierarchy, whatever Cesar Millan would have you believe. Modern science has disproven it. Dogs know very well that we are not dogs and they don't compete with us for resources.

Dogs don't come into this world knowing how we want them to behave. They don't have a clue what the human rules are, so they have to be taught in a way that the dog can understand. What you are describing is not a dominance issue, it's a basic training issue. You simply have to teach your dog what you want her to do, and what not to do. Even so, she is not likely to be "perfect", just as a human is not perfect. I'm not saying that you have that expectation, but it seems that many people do and I find it absurd. We humans make a million mistakes and don't always follow the rules, so why do we expect that a dog would be any different?

If your dog is a puppy, what she's displaying is normal puppy behaviour. As others have adviced, obedience classes is the way to go. Reward based training is key. Please avoid any trainer who talks about dominance etc, because his or her methods are likely to be outdated. I agree with whoever suggested you to read Victoria Stillwell. She is excellent.
    CSollers likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

+ Reply to Thread