One well behaved vs one trouble pug.....PLEASE HELP
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom

Thread: One well behaved vs one trouble pug.....PLEASE HELP

des&olive is offline New to the Village

Default One well behaved vs one trouble pug.....PLEASE HELP

I have a quick question that has been bothering me and my wife. We have a 4 year old pug named Desmond. He is the love of our life and is the most gentle, well behaved guy. When desmond was 2 years old, his breeder needed to place one of his littermates in a home, so we got her immediately. Her name is Olive and she is a handful, but we still love her. We have had her for two years now and tried every trick when it comes to pottying outside and behavior, but she is set in her ways. She also has some aggression issues that are taken out on our little man, but he just turns the other cheek. Because of her willingness to readily go to the bathroom on couches and floors, and the constant aggressive behavior, we keep them in the kitchen area. We don't think this is fair at all to Desmond and want him to freely chill in the rest of the apartment. We are so conflicted about giving him more time in the living room than her, but don't know what else to do, being that she refuses to learn. We don't want him to suffer due to her poor behavior. Do you have any suggestions by any chance?

Thank you so much for any help or insight you can provide!

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Has she been checked for a UTI? If not, you should! No amount of training will help, if she has one.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Sounds like you have your hands full! I don't have as much experience as many others on here but I would not keep him in the kitchen because he doesn't have the issues. You didn't state if you both work or someone is home or if she has been to obedience classes.I would start over with potty training.Set a schedule and stick to it. Lots of lavish praise and treats when she goes outside, ignore and clean with something that will banish the scent inside.Take them out separtely until she goes all the time outside.Crate her for 5-10 minutes for a time out when she gets aggressive with him and do it every time.Hopefully others will chime in with more advice. Glad to have you aboard and would love to see pics!
    des&olive likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

This is definitely not a UTI.....this is more behavioral urination and defecation! Always on furniture.

Thank you for the welcoming message. I have him in the living room as we speak. We have potty trained and crate trained so many times and tried different variations when one didn't work. We have tried the treats and praising her existence. She is extremely moody and spiteful, which is a dangerous combination ;) The only thing we didn't try is obedience training, which we are planning on doing now. Thank you for the advice!

Per your recommendation I have started to upload pictures. Just of him so far and will be adding an album of pictures of her and then an album of them together. Any advice on how to add a picture as your user icon? I am a novice at the Pug Village, since I just moved in!

Thanks again,
    Josh

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

Hi Josh welcome to the village. There is a link that says how to do stuff on the village. It's the second link when you are at the opening of the forum. There are sticky notes on how to post pictures and all kinds of info. I'm looking forward to pictures of your Pugs.

AbbyGus is offline Village Mayor

Another thing you may try is getting her some sort of dog diaper pants. If you google peekeepers you should find the ones we use on our markers. This works very well for our girl at least for peeing. Some dogs, like Ben, don't care if they wet them or not, but Grace will not pee when she has them on. It is also working VERY well for our latest addition..he's been dry in them for two days in a row now except overnight. They could hopefully help with training but either way it's a lot easier to change a pad in them than it is to try to scrub the scent off of a couch. Sounds like you have a very stubborn young lady..I feel ya..we have a couple of those too. You could try this and also continue to be consistent with praise outdoors.

And another vote for obedience school too.

Welcome! Looking forward to pics!
    The Chicken Lady to Gussie Handsome ~ Bentley Pee Pug ~ Princess Gracie May ~ Skinny Sam

Abby Sweets, never forgotten

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Obediance classes will help you a lot with training her! She's spayed, right? Not sure why you think it is behavioural pottying--just because she's doing it on furniture doesn't mean it still couldn't be a UTI...I'd have her checked at the vet's, & explain the problems you are having with Olive, both to the vet & to the trainer. No expert here, but I don't think I'd leave Desmond in the kitchen with her, especially if she is naughty to him. We have a female Lab, Molly, & our 10 yr old Pug Rugby--we have a short fence across our kitchen & Molly gets to stay in the kitchen while Rugby gets the rest of the house. Not ideal, but because of the size difference, it keeps the peace. The fence is so short Molly could easily jump it, but she doesn't--neither dog seems to mind the arrangement. The dogs like each other fine, & get along well when we go on car trips or motorhome trips, etc., but at home if left together, Rugby is always the one to act too pushy with Molly. Molly puts up with all the sniffing for a little while, but then when she has had enough, Rugby still won't stop, she just gets pushier. Then if Molly tries to growl or otherwise warn Rugby that she's had enough, that sets Rugby off, & then she goes after Molly. Molly has a lot of patience, but Rugby may start a fight, but I know who could finish it, IF she wanted to! Maybe Olive will settle down with the obediance classes, & when she gets a little older.

Hang in there--this is a great site with nice, knowledgeable people who are always ready & willing with any questions or problems you may have. Hopefully the people who know more about training will chime in here & help you out....
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

+ Reply to Thread