• 3 Post By BuggLover
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By CocoPug
  • 1 Post By Holly G
  • 1 Post By BuggLover

Thread: Barking Coco the pug!

CocoPug is offline Village Puppy

Default Barking Coco the pug!

Helllo everyone, im looking for a little bit of advise to stop Coco barking.
    She only seems to bark whenever we are on our usual walks, she starts when another dog starts to approach her. It isnt a angry bark, its more of a yappy annoying bark.. Shes not affraid of the dogs approaching her i think shes just excited as she pull towards them when shes on the lead.
    Iv tried offering her treats to distract her & also tried tugging the lead & saying "leave it" but shes not responding as shes facinated with the other dogs.
    Ha.. i know she just wants to play but other dogs/owners dont see it that way.

Heres Coco today not barking at the time lol

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

What a cutie! No advice since I haven't been able to stop it myself =P Bruno barks at the cats on one side, his 'girlfriend' the Cavalier King Charles on the other, squawking birds, and every plane he sees.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

She is darling! No advice here either Tinker barks when someone comes to the door or she sees dogs on TV!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

BuggLover is offline Village Governor

She is so adorable, OMG!
    Winston is a big barker too but he doesn't bark on walks... he's more of a territorial barker, in the backyard or in the car at poor little old ladies walking by. It's so hard to stop barking, I'm dealing with it right now and he's getting better but tonight he is barking constantly, even at his own reflection.
    My advise would be to try and stop her before she starts barking, if you know her cue is another dog then try to get her attention before she notices the other dog (which means you have to be hyper vigilant). Get her to stop and sit and focus on you, try and body block her view of the other dog approaching, if she starts barking then just direct her away from the other dog. She should only be allowed to greet another dog if she is quiet, it's best to try and practice this stuff with someone you know... that way they can keep walking by as many times as it takes for her to learn she needs to be quiet.
    I've also taught Winston to speak and be quiet (I generally use the cue "enough" to stop him barking)... if I get him before he works himself up then he will be quiet but sometimes he is just too excited and I have to redirect his attention to something else... it's hard, and takes a long time... you just have to be consistent with correcting the behaviour and getting her to do what you want instead of barking.
    Wonka & Nilla, Holly G and CocoPug like this.
    Owned by Winston the Bugg

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

You already got some great advice in the post above, so I won't bother repeating it. I just wanted to comment on what an adorable little girl Coco is! Love the picture!!!!
    BuggLover likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

CocoPug is offline Village Puppy

Well good news, Coco has stopped barking on her own!
    i have been making a point of taking her up to dogs more often & she is no longer barking 1st.. but if a dog barks at her woooooooah she really lets go of her bark.
    Thanks everyone
    BuggLover likes this.

Holly G is offline Village Mayor

Great advise and glad you are having success. Ozzy barks at everything that moves when he is outside. This includes flags that wave, halloween decorations, and little old ladies out for a walk. I think I need a barking plan as well. Will try some of the tips from BuggLover,
    CocoPug likes this.
    Ozzy's Mom, Holly from Omaha, NE
    Ozzy birthday 05/06/2012

BuggLover is offline Village Governor

I just started last weekend training Winston to recall with a dog whistle and it is working so well! It's also been a good addition to the training to stop barking because if he is outside and starts I just call his name and blow the wistle and he comes right to me. He definitely responds better to the wistle than the vocal command for recall, yippee!
    CocoPug likes this.
    Owned by Winston the Bugg

+ Reply to Thread