• 1 Post By cdnpug
  • 2 Post By Buddy's Mom
  • 1 Post By cdnpug
  • 2 Post By Hellas
  • 2 Post By kb7640

Thread: Help!

kb7640 is offline Village Puppy

Default Help!

I love my Puggy to bits, and he can be really sweet and playful and loving, but I'm not sure what to do.

I got him in early July 2011, when he was eight months old, and I did my best to start training him. He's always been really stubborn and doesn't listen, and doesn't do anything unless he gets something out of it--which I started using to train him to sit, stay, and lie down. That actually worked, with me making him sit, stay, or lie down and hold the position before I give him his food or let him outside to go to the bathroom.

My problem is that Pugsley:
    1. is addicted to my cat's litter, and runs around the house dropping cat poop everywhere until we can catch him
    2. is addicted to my cat's food
    3. refuses to go outside after it rains to go to the bathroom (we have a fenced backyard we let him out in), holds it until he comes back inside and poops in the house
    4. has become rebellious since my dad left to Oregon for medical reasons, my dad was kind of like "the alpha"
    5. has recently decided that's it's a fantastic idea to jump on my parents' bed, roll around, and chew on the pillows
    6. has discovered the garbage in the kitchen and likes to dive into it
    7. possibly does things like chew on my stuff, or pee on my parents' bed as revenge, which I normally wouldn't think so except that when he does do it, it's always right after he got in trouble
    8. always does at least one or more of these every single day

It wasn't until after we'd had him for a few months that we found out from the woman who owns his dad (an absolute sweetie pie) that Pugsley was (according to her) always more on the naughty side--but I'm not sure if that was because of the way he was treated with her, or if it's just his temperament.

I hate spanking him, but for months we tried everything from spraying him with water, to making him lie on his side to grabbing him by the scruff of his neck, and it didn't work. Spanking yields mild results, but slightly better than everything else. But even my dad (who had Dobermans for years that would obey him without a leash or anything) can't get him to listen without smacking his butt.

How can I get him to listen and obey without hitting him? I hate it, but nothing else seems to make an impression on him =.(

Help!!!!!!!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Please don't do any more spanking! Go back for more obedience training and seek help from a behaviorist. Gate off the cat room so he can't get to litter box or food. Walk him at least twice a day and play to get his energy decreased in a positive manner.You have to be consistent with his training. Crate him for 5-15 minutes for bad behavior. Buy an X-pen and control where he is allowed to go. Stay positive and in control yourself, if he makes you angry,crate him and walk away until you get yourself together.Food is the great motivator for pugs, reward every single positive thing he does with a small treat. There are lots of experienced pug owners on here so I'm sure you'll get more great advice.Glad you joined!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

cdnpug is offline Village Mayor

Pugs hips are not that strong so avoid spanking. The exercise will calm him down for sure. My pug will bounce off the walls if he does not get enough exercise. Take him for a walk at least twice a day. If it is cold or raining outside (majority of pugs hate rain or anything wet on them), put a pug jacket on him. Pugs are stubborn and will not obey unless they want to or for an exchange of food. If the weather is really miserable, buy a laser pointer from the dollar store and let him run after the laser. That is another good way to get him exhausted.
    taffiecandy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

I agree with what everyone else has said, I wanted to include that I have 4 cats. My Pugs would eat cat food and litter box poop all day if I let them. I have the cat food located on the kitchen counter downstairs and have another bowl upstairs in an extra bedroom that is gated off. That room also has their litter box. Keeping it out of his reach is the only way you are going to keep him from getting into it.

The same goes for the garbage. I have a can in the kitchen with a lid, I know at the very least Sophie would be in the garbage if it didn't have a lid. The bathroom garbage is beneath the sink, closed behind doors.

You have to go outside with your Pug when he goes to the bathroom. The best way to teach him to go outside, rain, snow or shine is by having a potty party everytime he goes outside. Some small pieces of cheese, hotdog or chicken work well as an extra special potty training treat. But in order for it to work you have to be there with him and give it to him immediately rain, snow or shine. My Pugs hate getting their feet wet as well, most of them do.

Since your dad has left and was the alpha, your Pug is really seeking for someone to take over that role. If no one else does, he will. You need to. But spanking isn't going to cut it. What other have said such as time-outs work well.

If you don't want him in your parents bedroom, shut the door or put up a baby gate. That will solve that problem, he won't be able to get in there to do all of the things you don't want him to.

If you do these things and make sure that he is getting adequate exercise everyday you will notice a change in behavior soon. Let us know how you make out with him.
    CountryPug and taffiecandy like this.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

cdnpug is offline Village Mayor

And the potty training ABC's are that you take him outside consistently around same time(s) of the day, and also approx. within 30 min after his meals. Be consistant, do not give up and you will be rewarded. Even Max is already 4, he sometimes still acts like a puppy.
    taffiecandy likes this.

Thanks so much everybody <3 I will definitely making a list of all of these suggestions and doing my best to implement them as much as possible(though I live in Mexico, so a behaviorist and obedience training isn't all that accessible right now =/ )!!!!! Thanks again, you're lifesavers <3

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

I completely agree with the advice you've been given. I can't stress enough that exercise is key. A dog with pent up energy will be up to no good. I have two pugs. If they don't get enough exercise for just one day, our little pug girl will wake up in the middle of the night and have a crazy party in our bed; walking and jumping all over us, licking our faces etc. It's not to be mean. She just doesn't know what to do with herself.

Please remember that dogs don't understand the concept of revenge. The reason for Pugsley doing things you don't like are never that. But it could be that he's frustrated. Punishment builds stress within a dog. If the underlying cause for his behaviour is excess energy, ultimately, punishing him will only add to that energy. It may work for the time being, but long term, he will only get worse. Even more importantly though, you are ruining your bond with him and his trust in you when you spank him.

Training a dog is much more about showing what you do want, as opposed to showing what you don't want. Think of yourself as his teacher, and you'll get a good sense of what I mean. You don't spank a child for not knowing maths. You explain maths. Same with dogs. Most of the time when they don't do what we want, it's because they have no idea what we want them to do. We haven't taught them the appropriate behaviour. Very often, we may even inadvertedly taught them the wrong behaviour by giving them attention or something else the dog finds rewarding at the wrong moment.

Prevention is key. So before anything else, I'd simply organise my home to make it impossible for him to eat cat poop and cat food. Put the cat food on an elevated surface. Close the door to the bedroom. Put up at baby gate to stop him from going to the cat's litter box. Most of the things you're describing are perfectly normal pug behaviour. My dogs eat the cat's food too, if I let them. Why wouldn't they? It's food. It's right there. They also eat poop, if I let them. Not cat poop thankfully, but they are delighted when they find horse poop or sheeps poop. It's normal.

After that, this is what I would do (in this order):
    1. Make sure he gets enough physical exercise. I recommend at least one long walk (45 mins to an hour) every day and a couple of short ones. Just be careful with the heat, because pugs are prone to heat stroke. So early morning or night is the best time. Walking him will help enormously with potty training. He will go potty during a long walk. Guaranteed. And when there's no poop to come out, he won't poop inside the house

2. Make sure he gets to use his "dog instincts" daily, especially his nose. Dogs need to work with their noses to be fulfilled. Sniffing during walks is good. I also recommend throwing some kibble on the ground in your backyard and letting the dog sniff for it. They love it, it fulfills a natural need of working for their food and it tires the brain. Incidentally, this is also a great method for getting dogs to go out in the yard when it's wet ;) This takes no effort for you, but will mean a lot to him.

3. Make sure he gets mental excersise daily. This can be obedience training or learning tricks. But it can also be hiding treats for him and making them look for them. Or playing hide and seek with you. It doesn't have to be hours and hours. Just 10 minutes per day will mean a lot for his happiness and your bond.

4. Buy a good book about dog training. I recommend Karen Pryor or Victoria Stillwell http://positively.com/ . Please steer clear of Cesar Millan, Monks of Skete and anybody else who talks about dominance etc. It's old fashioned nonsense.

5. When you find him chewing on something inappropriate - redirect by giving him something he can chew, such as a toy or a chew bone. This way you're showing him what you want, instead of just punishing him. Dogs have an instictive need to chew and we have to teach them what they can and can't chew on. Giving him raw meaty bones a few times a week (such as a raw marrow bone), will keep him occupied and will satisfy his chewing needs.

6. Don't worry too much. Love your dog. He is a normal, rambunctious youngster who doesn't yet understand the rules of the human world. You are there to teach him and time will help you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Hellas; 10-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Frida and cdnpug like this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Hey!
    So I've been walking Puggy twice a day (except for two days ago, where I only walked him in the morning because I had to go out and came back really late) and it's like he's a completely different dog!! =D =D =D =D He spends a lot of his time napping now, and only gets a little bit crazy at night instead of going completely nuts like he used to.

Thanks!
    Buddy's Mom and Hellas like this.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

That's just wonderful to hear! Your puggy thanks you for fulfilling his need to use his body. If you try adding the other things on my list, you will be amazed what a happy and well behaved dog you can have, with little effort.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Wonderful news!! I bet you both are happier now.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

+ Reply to Thread