Collar, leash and harness chewing / fighting.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collar, leash and harness chewing / fighting.

Kev63 is offline Village Puppy

Default Collar, leash and harness chewing / fighting.

Does anyone have the issue with the lil pug puppy HATING their lease, collar or harness?

Dave is too young to go outside for walks yet due to vacinnations but I have tried to walk him indoors / in home garden to get used to a leash but he doesn't want to play game.

Leash issue is he will turn his head round and jump about and bite it and not want to walk.

Collar seems to annoy him and he constantly kicks it with his back leg sitting down.

Harness needs to be adjusted to fit Dave, and so back strap has a lot of slack which I can't seem to adjust to get rid of - Dave soon realises this and won't leave it alone until the harness comes off - to which then he tries to eat it haha.

I'd really like to use a harness as I hear a collar isn't human for dogs, especially for pugs due to trachea issues and a collar for ID purposes but i've read a collar is better for leash training. At the moment Dave doesn't like either so advice would be appreciated on how to proceed leash training and what to use.

staticjess is offline Village Governor

My pup was doing the same thing. I simply gave the harness and leash a good spraying with bitter apple (just be sure to spray them before you put them on the dog), and it stopped his chewing on them real quick. I think I only had to spray it on two occasions, and now he only rarely grabs the leash to play, but drops it quickly. It also helps to distract them with something else, like a toy. Then they quickly forget about the leash.

emilina is offline Village Governor

Have you tried letting him run around with just the harness on? No lead attached to it.

Once he's used to the harness introduce the lead but let him pull it round rather than hold it. Then move on to holding it but following him where he wants to go before moving on to using it to guide him where you want him to go.

Plenty of 'good boy' and treats needed, every time he's not chewing at or pulling his harness say 'good boy' with treats every few times or if he holds back from chewing it for a while. Have you started using 'ah-ah' or 'no'? Use these for when he is chewing his harness and lead.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mieu is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by emilina View Post
    Have you tried letting him run around with just the harness on? No lead attached to it.
    This is what I did. Scootaloo wore a collar around the house for a couple of weeks, harness, too. When I put the leash on her I'd hold it straight up in the air over her back without much slack so she couldn't easily twist around to bite it.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

+ Reply to Thread