Where to sleep!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to sleep!

RereLove is offline New to the Village

Question Where to sleep!

Hey everyone! I just picked up my 12 week old puggy, Gus, on Saturday! I am paper training him, as that's what his breeder did and I wanted to continue that! He's learning fast and doing well, he has his accidents, but for a little guy he's trying his best! I had his crate all ready to go, but caved and let him sleep in my bed the first night. I also let him sleep in my bed last night too. He's hard to resist! Haha I've got him quite the playpen/crate/pee pads set up on my bed room and decided tonight to have him sleep in his little bed in the playpen. His crate is all connected with the door open. He's layed in there and sniffed around but hasn't spent much time in there. Right now he's sleeping pretty cozily in his bed in the nearest corner to me in his playpen. My question is: should I continue to let him sleep in his playpen/bed or should I get him to sleep in his crate and shut the door? There's so much information out there I don't know what is best! My husband is moving here with me, from the UK, in October and is adamant he doesn't want Gus sleeping in our bed, so I've decided to nip it in the bud now!

Also: I've got the week off to spend with puggy Gus, getting him used to me and his new home, but once I go back to work I'll be there from 7 am until 1 pm when I came come home for lunch and check on him, take him out, etc then I'll be back at work, and my mom will take him out when she gets home at 230. So I am planning on keeping him in his playpen set up during that time too.

Sorry for the information overload, I just want to raise him right and be a good puggy mommy! And I'm a little bit confused at what sleeping arrangement will help him emotionally and make him happiest in the long run. Any help and/or advice is welcomed!! :)

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

If he is making it without accidents, I don't see a reason to crate all night. I only close them in the crate at night if they are unreliable with the potty.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

emilina is offline Village Governor

If he's not going to be in your bed forever more I certainly wouldn't start it. It'll confuse him and he could feel like its a punishment when he's not allowed to sleep in your bed any more.

The pen will be fine in the day. Pugsley is 7.5 months now and he's had the run of the house for the past week during the day and he's been great :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

RereLove is offline New to the Village

oh yay! thanks for the advice! He can hold his potty throughout the night, so I'm glad to know, Angel89411, that its unnecessary. I've attached it to his ex-pen, but he doesn't use it at all. in fact i think it just confuses him, haha.

I can't wait to get to that point, Emilina! what method of potty-training did you use?

emilina is offline Village Governor

Just positive reward and consistency. I was lucky in that he came to work with me at the start (I've changed jobs since :( ) so I was able to catch him pretty much every single time he thought about going inside. Ill be honest though, my nerves were frayed at work with the carpet!

Every time he went to go inside I said 'no' firmly, picked him up and put him outside for a few minutes until he had done his business. When he went outside he got a huge fuss and yummy treats. If he went outside after I had put him out for trying to go inside he got a little great and a 'good boy'. If he actually did it in my house and I caught he was told 'no' and put outside for a minute or so. If he did it in my house and I missed it I just cleaned it up and ignored. He is 7.5 months and hasn't had an accident since 4.5 months. He went to **** his leg indoors a couple of months ago. At work not at home. I said 'no', leg went down, never happened since.

+ Reply to Thread