Potty Training Accident
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty Training Accident

LittleLucyLoo is offline Village Puppy

Default Potty Training Accident

Hi there,

This is my first post here as I am a new dog owner/pug owner. I had a dog years ago but haven't owned one since and from everything I've been reading, pugs are special breeds and require some slightly different tactics.

I got Lucy a month ago at just over 8 weeks and fell in love instantly. She is now a member of the family even after vowing for years I would never own a dog LOL.

My question is about potty training. Lucy has been doing extremely well controlling herself and is crate trained during the day when we are not around. When we are home, we have taken to leaving our sliding patio door open as we have been in and out of the backyard and this allows her to go in and out as she wishes though she tends to stay out a fair amount especially if we're busy. She is free to go potty anytime she wants while in the backyard. Otherwise, when we let her out of the crate, the first thing we do is take her potty, tell her to go potty and when she does, we praise her and bring her back in.

Due to the lack of accidents she has had we thought we were doing really well. Unfortunately she has had 2 accidents in the past 3 days. The first one we didn't think much of as she had gotten upstairs and hadn't been able to come back down at that point (we've since taught her) and this morning she had one in the family room. This is the one that concerns me as she could have gotten outside since the sliding door was open. It doesn't seem like she even made the effort.

Any suggestions? Should we be doing something different or just chalk it up to a minor puppy memory glitch?

Thanks for any input.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

She's very young still - 12 weeks? It's just a puppy glitch, sounds like you're doing amazingly in general :)

jessipug is offline Village Puppy

I would chalk it up to her being a puppy for now. Puppies can't control their bladder too well, so maybe she just couldn't make it out in time!
    Mama to Emmett

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mieu is offline Village Senator

It's also possible that she might be too young to 'get it' that she should be going outside. Many dogs have a natural instinct not to go where they sleep or spend a lot of time, but unless you make a consistent ceremony of going potty she might be slow to get it. When you come home and take her outside and treat her when she goes is getting her off to the right start, but if you don't do it every time she goes it might be slower to stick. Consistency is definitely key to the success of any kind of training.

That being said, I'm amazed that your success rate is this high with her so young and without you treating her every single time, so she's a smart cookie for sure! She'll get it!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

To be truly potty trained...a pup must be monitored...and praised each time they potty outside!

She's too young to totally get it...even with being there all the time!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

LittleLucyLoo is offline Village Puppy

Thank you all for your support.

I will make sure we start praising her every time we see her go outside. We weren't praising her when she went and we didn't specifically take her out to do so but we will certainly start now.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Yes, pugs do sometimes go backwards but I am glad you have taken on board the advice to praise and treat every time she goes outside.

Whilst it is true pugs don't generally like to potty where they sleep, or in their home area, their idea of their home area is different to ours.

For example, the place where both my boys tended to have their accidents when they were mostly reliable about not pottying indoors was our guest bedroom. This, I realised, was because we don't spend much time in there and they didn't really associate it with being part of the house, so they thought it was OK to go there. Once the penny dropped I took a lot of care to keep the door shut if I could not monitor them, to spend time in there with them having a play, and to sneak after them and catch them in the act so I could say "uh uh" and take them outside to finish the job.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread