Transition from crate training
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transition from crate training

homer.thepug is offline Village Mayor

Default Transition from crate training

Hello all,

I am just wondering how do you transition from crate training to giving access to certain part of house when we're not at home?

My Homer is still on the process of crate training (we adopted him when he's 1 year old, so far he sort still occasionally have wee accident inside the house), but never pee poo inside the crate (now), unless he have diarrhoea and cant hold it.

i want him to be able to at least give him access to maybe kitchen area, and put baby gates on while we're not at home.

and also, how do you know that he's fully housetrained?
    i am worried that if i give him access, then he would just pee/poo on the floor and we have to go back for potty training from zero again.

( i think the breeder that i get him from did not housetrained their pug, because he seems to still have accident inside the house and even on the crate for the first few weeks)

thank you for the answer!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

You could use an X pen in any room and still limit his access to larger areas.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

You wait until he hasn't had any accidents in the house for a good couple of months. Then you try giving him access to an easy clean area and see what happens. If you start getting accidents you go back to the crate and back to basics with praising and treating for every successful potty outside.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tygermoth is offline Village Senator

second teh x pen - when clean consistantly in teh x pen we allowed kitchen roaming. Once he nailed that hallway (with stair gates and so on.

hes now full house.

this was our set up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn2sz1fb7m...2017.29.12.jpg

the panels we flexi so we added when he got bigger

Oscar & Margo is offline Village Mayor

I third the pen. Before I had a pen I tried to just give them access to the dining room/kitchen but I think it was too overwhelming and they would just go in the corner of the rooms and use the restroom. So..I transitioned to the pen with the crate inside. Once they are potty free in that new space for a few months, I installed a baby gate to give them access to my kitchen and dining room.

thank you all.

once he's accident free, i will try giving him access to the kitchen, because that's the only place that i can gate him, the living and dining area are one big massive area.

i was just telling my husband in the morning that he's doing great, not having accident for 2 weeks.
    and that same night, he pee-ed on the carpet.
    and he's sneaky too, we were both in the living room, and just all of a sudden we feel the carpet is wet. we dont know when it happens!! we're both watching tv.

so definitely wait until he's accident free, then only the playpen area?

1 year old is not too late to potty train right? im sure he wasnt potty train when we adopted him.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It's never too late to start potty training, but the older the dog the longer it is likely to take and you may always have some accidents if you start really late. I would have thought at age 1 you have a good chance of getting him completely clean in time.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    It's never too late to start potty training, but the older the dog the longer it is likely to take and you may always have some accidents if you start really late. I would have thought at age 1 you have a good chance of getting him completely clean in time.
    i hope so too! because yesterday in the middle of play (his toy is still hanging on his mouth) he just pee in front of me. im speechless. gawd.i thought adopting 1 year old would be easier, cant imagine those that started from 8weeks old

+ Reply to Thread