Please help! puppy toilet training advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please help! puppy toilet training advice

Lola Wilson is offline New to the Village

Hi homer.the pug or anyone else

Here is an update;

We have reduced Lola's crate to have just her bed and feeding, and she doesn't eliminate in there which is great!
    She has free access to the kitchen area with a gate up to stop her accessing the rest of the house.
    We have removed newspaper and instead have her fake grass patch which we keep inside, however she is not using it! she is having accidents all over the kitchen floor in different spots....... so I just don't know how to control this! We decided that we would train her to go on the grass inside and when she is used to that take it outside.
    Any idea how to get her to go on it??

This is so challenging

Thank you!!

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Hi and welcome. You've had loads of good advice already, so I'll not really add too much. But I would say that they all seem to be different, like children and while we can and should make every effort to establish a positive regime, there will still be accidents.

Logie is just over a year and occasionally has an accident but it's usually our fault as we've left him too late overnight - I know I need to let him out by 7am but have been unwell recently and lying in bed! Interestingly, we were in Melbourne for a week and the dogs were looked after by my son and neighbour, when Keir was working. Basically Logie had a lot more 'crate time' than usual as ordinarily we are around most of the day. Keir said there were few, if any accidents and never in his crate. I suspect between them, my son and neighbour had a much more rigid routine!

To be honest, I don't stress over accidents; I guess it's part of pet ownership. Like the rat corpses my cat brings home as 'presents' and the pile of vomit my big old Flat Coat will leave when he's been 'experimenting' with some garbage he's found! I love them all and will do my level best to raise them well, which means I have to accept my weaknesses in training, too.

Lola sounds lovely and it's great to have another New Zealander on board - where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Try moving a poop to the fake grass, or even spreading some urine on it with a rag.

Then, it is absolutely critical that you clean everything else very thoroughly. An enzymatic cleaner, vinegar, bleach, anything that will really get rid of any doggy odour (that your dog can smell, their noses are astonishing).
    homer.thepug likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lola Wilson is offline New to the Village

THank you both for your advice, I will give the floor a really good clean - with vinegar and then try and get her on the grass again, I just feel like we are going backwards. I am happy to hang in there and don't blame her at all - only wonder whether I should be doing something better!!

Jacqui we are in Auckland - I need to upload some photos of Lola. It sounds like you have quite a handful there!! :)

I am trying to upload photos but can't work out how to as it is asking me for a url? when I work it out I will post Lola for you!!!!

navydream is offline Village Puppy

I may not be the expert but newspaper or fake grass pad never did it for Tchaikovsky, he is almost 3 months old (in two days) so I got a cat littler tray and he learned to use it in that same day, I just put one of his poops there and he started to use it.
    I used to have it in my room and he would pee there at night, he would sleep in his doggie bed and wake up to pee there (tho not poop, I don't know why) He is now able to hold for the entire night (cause I have him in bed with me now... ooops) and I only take him out in the early mornings (7 am)... uhmm maybe the cat litter would help? I moved it to the backyard (since we don't have grass in the backyard is just cement floor) and now he only pees there in the backyard (tho never poop... -_- but he has a spot in the backyard for pooping)

Oh I must mention my dog doesn't eat this... I know some dogs would but he doesn't like it, just uses it to pee.

I don't know, dear. This is what I did but maybe it doesn't work for you, all doggies are different.

homer.thepug is offline Village Mayor

not too sure about random spot peeing on the floor, but was she 100% peeing on newspaper before?
    she might just confuse that she need to do it in the fake grass when she is peeing on newspaper before.
    agree with Nina, definitely need to smear pee and poop on the fake grass.
    it works with my friend pup.
    and also clean really thoroughly on the spot you dont want her to pee/poop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12