Training senior pug to use indoor grass potty box
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Training senior pug to use indoor grass potty box

laserone is offline Village Mayor

Default Training senior pug to use indoor grass potty box

Hi, my wonderful Riley Pug is turning 10 in August. I hate to think of him as "senior", but he's getting there. He is perfectly house-trained.
    Now that he is older, he is waking me up two or three times a night to go outside to go potty, usually once to pee then later to poo. I am so sleep-deprived. (Meanwhile, when there is an emergency and I leave him home alone too long, like 7 hours, he never goes inside.) No matter how I try to persuade him, he won't go go both at once when he asks to go out at night.
    I tried training him to use potty pads and I even put grass and leaves from where he usually potties on there. But he just didn't get it. So I ordered a Fresh Patch indoor real grass potty box. I'd love any advice on how to train him to use it. I've been looking on youtube for videos and no luck so far, I'll keep looking. The main thing is he's not a puppy. He's a well-trained housebroken dog so instead of just teaching a puppy where to go, I'm having to sort-of BREAK old habits, and I think that is harder. (?) I only plan for him to use this in the night. So that when he barks to wake me up I can say "go potty on grass". I am just so sleep-deprived.
    The Fresh Patch arrived today. I spent some time today slowly teaching him to get used to how it feels. One paw on, treat. Two paws on, treat. etc. Stand on it, treat. Then when he had to poo, I took it outside onto cement and treated him whenever he'd stand on it. I'd use the same verbiage I use when we potty as usual outside, but he's just look at me. I *don't* expect him to learn in one day. I'm just letting you know what I'm trying so far and asking for any thoughts or links. I'm watching puppy training videos for puppy pads, but I just don't think it's the same and re-training old habits. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

What your doing sounds exactly what I would try if I wanted to train my pugs to use this, so I don't have any advice to add, other than keep trying! I hope you are able to get Riley to use it at night.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

Maybe take it outside and have him go on it and praise...then bring it inside?????

Keep us posted! This interests me as I might want to do it sometime!
    CinnamonC likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread