Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs
  • 1 Post By dawsonz
  • 2 Post By lotusseeds

Thread: Morning Walk

dawsonz is offline New to the Village

Default Morning Walk

Hello

Me and my partner recently adopted a 5 month old puppy, we've had him for 3 weeks and so far he's been really good but we have had issues when he goes out walking, particularly in the mornings.

I wake up about 6am and go downstairs to see Brian and say good morning to him, then get his harness out and he's always excited when he sees the harness out. Then we get started on our walk and it starts off really well he's enjoying it. However, about halfway into the walk he just stops and doesn't want to walk anymore. I tried giving him treats to get him moving but now he just sits and has his treat and still doesn't want to move.

As it's the morning walk it's only 15/20 minutes around the block but he has just been a real struggle to walk. When we let him off the lead in the evenings he's absolutely brilliant and has lots of energy.

I was just hoping for any advice about whether to change the walk (it's the same walk each morning) or to cut it down. It's worth noting I feed him his breakfast after his walk to avoid him walking with a bloated stomach.

Thanks!

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

is it at the same spot every morning that he stops? Could it be something he's scared of? He should be fine for a 20 minute walk at 5 months, I can't imagine you're pushing him too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    is it at the same spot every morning that he stops? Could it be something he's scared of? He should be fine for a 20 minute walk at 5 months, I can't imagine you're pushing him too hard.
    No it's never a specific spot, just usually after we get halfway round the walk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Our flat coat did the same thing as a puppy. Used to drive us nuts, as he dug his heels in and refused to move. It wasn't long, however, before he would walk for miles and not want it to end.

Could just be a phase he'll pass through?

Oh and welcome, by the way! Would love to see pics of Brian
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Because pugs are so prone to so many issues; breathing, bone & joint, neurological, etc.. I think I would err on the side of caution as if something is physically bothering him you don't want to make it worse by forcing the matter.

What are you using when you walk him on leash? Collar and leash? Choke or martingale collar? Puppia style harness? Low slung, stepin style harness? Since he does not have the issue off leash, your collar/harness may be either uncomfortable or hindering his breathing. Once he stops, is he willing to turn around and walk home, or does he just not want to move at all? Do you notice any breathing issues like excessive panting, snorting or loud breathing? CAREFULLY observe his gait, do you see any limping or favoring or abnormal movement? Closely examine his feet, do you see and hairless spots, scuffs or sores on the tops or bottoms of the paws? Do the nails wear evenly from foot to foot and from toe to toe?

Take care,
    Lisa
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Loconn55 like this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! After careful inspection as Lisa suggests, if all is well sounds like he just needs to build some endurance.Glad to have you here!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I'll get some pictures uploaded when I'm home.

Lisa thank you for that information i'll do some checking with the points you mention. When walking he has a harness and a leash, however we are ordering a new Puppia Soft Vest harness just to make sure this one isn't uncomfortable. When he stops it's a case of digging his heels in and refusing to walk. I haven't noticed any issues with his movement however i'll certainly keep a much closer eye and examine it in more details. I'm just hoping it's a phase that will pass, i'll certainly try alternative walks but this particular walk is our morning walk before work so it's just round the block.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

lotusseeds is offline Village VP

Yes, to what Lisa said.
    Dumpling used to stop mid walk in our old neighborhood for some reason. She just would stop dead and then I would have to pick her up. I assumed it was something physical and stopped walking her for a while. What I did notice is that she would play like a mad woman in the back yard, chase a ball, run and "fetch" as best a pug can, she even went on the trampoline.
    What I discovered was something at the end of the street that really bothered her. I don't know what it was, I walked her in the day light and the night, she would not budge past a specific spot. We moved to a new neighborhood and she walked 3 x as far and never had things bother her again.
    In short maybe it is something he smells or sees and he can't get past it. You may want to change your route and see if that helps.
    Welcome!
    Pam, pugmom to Dumpling and human mother to 3

+ Reply to Thread