Need Advice on Invisible Fencing for Pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Need Advice on Invisible Fencing for Pug

pickles2001 is offline Village Governor

Default Need Advice on Invisible Fencing for Pug

Hi, Everybody! I've been gone for a bit due to the selling and buying of a new house, as well as the big move. Anyway, we are at last in our new house which, unlike the old house, is in town. The street is not terribly busy, but Stewie keeps trying to escape out the front door and has succeeded three times. Luckily no cars have been coming down the street when he has done this, but I know it is only a matter of time.

I am considering invisible fencing in the front yard to keep him from darting into the street. Have any of you used invisible fencing for pugs, and how effective is it? How has the training process gone? Any recommendations on particular fencing companies? I have a friend who used a wireless fence (Pet Safe) for her little hairy dogs (not sure of the breed) and recommends it.

Thanks for you advice. Stewie sends you all his love and wants you to know that he loves the fenced-in back yard at his new house!

Beth, mom to Stewie (as well as kitties Moe and Georgie)

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I don't think many people will like the idea......
    it may keep your dog in, but it won't stop anyone else from getting in.....my point is, you can't just put a dog out there with no supervision.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

NO.......my friend, Linda lost a Pug due to invisible fencing!!!! Something dug under ground and broke it! The dog ran into the street. It also doesn't keep other dogs or animals out of your yard!
    puglover22 likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

just re-read and see that he is charging the door and you want to use this kind of as a safety net so he doesn't make it to the street....but you ask how training is with the electronic fence......back it up a step....why not work on training so he doesn't charge the door?

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I get the impression that you want to use the invisible fencing as a safety net, rather than because you want to allow him access to the front yard.

Nevertheless if it is going to be any use then he is going to have to wear the collar 24/7 as you never know when he may escape.

I don't think the training is particularly pleasant and I think you should brainstorm all other options before going for an invisible fence. Also, even if a dog is well trained with an invisible fence, if it is excited enough it will run through the shock. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk.

Is it not possible to rig up some sort of baby gate in your hallway to prevent him getting to the front door? Obviously you also need to be training him to keep away from the front door but physical barriers rather than behavioural training are much more reliable imo.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Invisible fencing is a bad idea. It's as likely to make your dog afraid and aggressive as it is to teach them to stay in a perimeter. Would you put a shock collar on your dog? Because that's what an invisible fence is.

Your pug is in no way protected from anything else, they can just wander in. Plus, should Stewie get out, he'll be shocked for trying to come back home!

No, anything that works though fear is a bad idea. It would be way more humane to put him on a tie-out line, and that's illegal in many places. Why they allow these fences is beyond me.

Do you want help teaching him not to charge the front door? I have some resources for you:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...-through-doors

How to Stop a Dog From Charging to the Front Door - Pets

How to Keep Your Dog Calm When the Doorbell Rings | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

Training your dog to be a front door charmer |
    (I really like this last one)

and here's a video too!

I'm also happy to help with resources for the various bits - sit, stay, go to place (or mat, or whatever you want to call it). Let me know your circumstances and we can figure out a plan!
    Last edited by Nina_W; 06-26-2015 at 11:50 AM.

PapayaThePug is offline Village Mayor

I agree wit Nina. Invisible fences are not a good idea. You first must correct the "charging the door" issue. Have you consider a trainer? And while he is being trained a baby gate would also be a great idea.
    Also, what about a regular fence? I've seen some neighbors of mine have them, they also help keeping other dogs from peeing in your grass :)
    Papaya & Kiwi's Mom

"If it's not a pug, it's just a dog"

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

If it were me, I'd just put a baby gate up at the front door :) Or in the porch / whatever would suit the layout of your house. Maybe a pain in the butt for you /your visitors to deal with but I know if you're anything like me, Will's safety comes before pains in the butt for our visitors!!lol
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I wouldn't use an invisible fence for all the above reasons. Before we got Tinker I was visiting Frenchie breeders and one told me she never sold any pups to people with invisible fences.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

pickles2001 is offline Village Governor

Thank you all for your advice. You're right -- I'm not interested in making the front yard a play area -- just want to keep him from slipping out and getting hit by a car. He DOES need more training. I will look into that.
    puglover22, Nina_W and sylven like this.
    Beth, mom to Stewie (as well as kitties Moe and Georgie)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast