Aggression?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By LilyFayre
  • 2 Post By Snifter

Thread: Aggression?

lostsoul60 is offline Village Mayor

Default Aggression?

Okay, that just happened. I gave Raziel a small piece of ham and Loki the cat went close to him, probably just curious to see what he was eating and he attacked the cat. He didn't growl first or anything, jumped on him biting him on the neck and shaking him like a plush while growling. It seemed aggressive to me so I pushed him away from the cat, told him no and took his piece of ham back; he didn't deserve it after that. The cat seemed to get on the defensive too, they often play and all is well but I saw the cat take his claws out and I was afraid for Raziel too as well as the cat for a moment.

Raziel is my first puppy and I've never got a dog with an aggression issue before... I wouldnt want this to develop into one so... while I could google for advice, I'd rather bother you guys If this happen again... is there something else/better I could do than say ''no'' and take his treat away? Should I take it away in the first place? Time outs maybe?
    Proud adoptive mother of:
    -Shinnok: female black pug/beagle deceased (30 july 2015) forever in my heart <3
    -Lilith: female white Poodle/Shih-tzu Healthy and happy :)
    -Raziel: male fawn pug healthy and naughty but fully loved :)
    -Loki the cat: Male mixed unknown breeds as evil as a cat can be :3

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Sorry to hear about this as it must have been quite a frightening experience for you.

Food or toys are likely things to be guarded and a behaviour you want to discourage - saying NO! and taking the prized object away was fine in the circumstances, but you also need to consider that the cat was almost certainly of the intention to take the ham and requires a bit of training too. Cats like treats too, and can be quite ruthless in getting what they want as well. Hopefully Loki won't ever try this again, but personally I'd start teaching both of them that they only get a prized treat like ham if they're sitting and waiting in a specific place. I'd also give a piece of ham to the cat first before offering some to the dog since they tend to take longer to eat something than a dog.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

You can work on trading treats for better treats until Loki realises that YOU taking stuff away does not necessarily mean he is being deprived - it may result in something better. You need to be able to take stuff away without fear of attack, if possible. That said my Snifter would absolutely attack me if I were to take away a treat he has actually managed to get into his mouth (e.g. a chicken bone he has spied on the pavement) so I have to use avoidance strategies.

The cat and dog interaction is harder to control, in my view. I would try to give treats to one when the other is out of the way. Or keep the treat small enough that the animal can gulp it down in one, rather than something it can take away to savour, because that is when you run the risk of the other poking its nose in. The more you end up having to take things away the more possessive the animal is likely to become, imo.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

lostsoul60 is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    (...) but you also need to consider that the cat was almost certainly of the intention to take the ham and requires a bit of training too. Cats like treats too(...)
    Loki never stole any treats from the dogs, he often take a look and go away.. even if I try to give him one he usually won't eat it but I guess I should at least try to give him a piece too even if he won't eat it so he at least get to look at it and possibly won't bother the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    (...) Or keep the treat small enough that the animal can gulp it down in one, rather than something it can take away to savour, because that is when you run the risk of the other poking its nose in. The more you end up having to take things away the more possessive the animal is likely to become, imo(...)
    I wouldn't really like to have to keep the treats small, I feel like it doesn't really fix the problem it just avoid it and not everything can be kept small (toys/regular food)... that's what I feared for the taking things away part but I remember my mother doing that with her dogs... if he would growl at her while chewing a bone/treat she'd take it away and throw it as far she could outside all enraged... it was a little funny to watch to be honest she never had a major aggression issue tough so I guess it worked for her.
    Proud adoptive mother of:
    -Shinnok: female black pug/beagle deceased (30 july 2015) forever in my heart <3
    -Lilith: female white Poodle/Shih-tzu Healthy and happy :)
    -Raziel: male fawn pug healthy and naughty but fully loved :)
    -Loki the cat: Male mixed unknown breeds as evil as a cat can be :3

+ Reply to Thread