Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bfrazee85
  • 2 Post By Mom to Lucy
  • 1 Post By puglover18

Thread: Lunch Time Potty Break

bfrazee85 is offline Village Puppy

Default Lunch Time Potty Break

Hi All!

Things are continuing to get better with Holly Belle at home. She's learning the rules, she's doing really well at bed time (sleeps under the bed or in her own bed almost all night). We've also been able to get her to start playing with some of her toys (although it doesn't last long). We're still having some issues with crating her when we leave. She's on to our games and knows when we're trying to get her in and is adamant about avoiding us when she knows it's close. The past couple of days she's been holding out eating in the morning and she's been hesitant to potty in the morning as well. In the evenings, she's great.

Thanks to some advice I received in another post, we purchased some of the calming spray, and that seems to help to an extent. I also was able to film her after I left for the day and for about 10-15 minutes she spins and noses her bedding and other things in the crate and cries/howls/whimpers. After a little bit it looks like she lays down and sleeps until we come back. She is still pretty excitable when we come home, which I'm trying to get her to stay calmer (we're making a little progress).

My question is more about when I come home for my lunch break, what's the best and least traumatizing way of getting her out to potty, giving her attention and then "forcing" her to get back into the crate so I can go back to work for another 4 hours? I feel really bad about it, especially now that I've seen her reaction when I leave. As long as the weather cooperates, I'm planning on taking her for a walk on my lunch break, but I fear that she'll get too excited about being out and will go through the fear of being alone all over again.

If nothing else, if anyone can reaffirm that I'm going about it somewhat correctly, it will make me feel a little better. But I'm open to suggestions and ideas.
    Mom to Lucy likes this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I think she'll get used to the routine if you're consistent.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

I think she'll get used to you leaving and coming back at lunchtime. She might start associating you leaving with a nap, then a walk and playtime, then another nap.
    Ours prefer us to leave them, as they get "bye-bye treats" that are only given when we leave to go out...
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP and Maverick the soon to be huge black Labrador. Mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a couple of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover18 is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Lucy View Post
    Ours prefer us to leave them, as they get "bye-bye treats" that are only given when we leave to go out...
    Do the same thing with Zuko, have a special treat reserved for leaving the house and crate time!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

bfrazee85 is offline Village Puppy

Thanks everyone for the responses! Crate training is progressing. Holly seems to be doing better while we're gone, each day there are less signs of distress in her crate and she's usually sleeping when we come in the house. We usually have a kong filled with pb in her crate with her but most days she doesn't even touch it. I know we'll need to find some healthier kong stuffing for her because we can't keep giving her pb everyday, although right now our vet suggested it's not terrible because she came to us a little underweight and she said the extra treats will help her bond with us.

I'm going to try my hardest to at least get her to go for a walk during lunch so she gets a little exercise. She still very much avoids the crate when she senses we're leaving. Any other time, she'll get into it to grab a treat or see if any treats magically showed up every now and then, so she's not really afraid of the crate itself, it's more the fact that she's alone. I usually have to actually put her in the crate when we leave as she runs to the couch to lay down knowing what I'm trying to do.

Eventually we'd like to give her run of the house, but I feel like we need to take baby steps because we've only had her under 2 weeks, but I definitely have to say she has been adjusting well. The vet has been super impressed with her each time we've been and she watched the video I took and said that there wasn't anything of concern. It's less separation anxiety and more "awareness of being alone." We'll keep trucking!

+ Reply to Thread