Puppy Pug incredibly excited near traffic
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By barneythepug

Thread: Puppy Pug incredibly excited near traffic

barneythepug is offline New to the Village

Question Puppy Pug incredibly excited near traffic

Hi there guys!

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some help!

My 7 month old pug Barney seems to get really excited and energetic during walks when we approach roads with cars passing by. When we first got him he was completely scared of traffic however now it is as if he wants to chase cars down the road. He jumps around, excessively pants and lets out a really high pitched squeal whilst pulling towards traffic. When away from traffic or walking along natural trails he is so well behaved and a completely different pup.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to try and combat this behaviour? Treats and discouraging him away from the road seems to make no difference! :(.

Many thanks!

Rob

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Snifter is a car chaser. I never let him off lead anywhere he could gain access to a road.

I improved the behaviour massively by teaching "watch me" away from traffic. Essentially the dog has to make eye contact with you. Then we would use the command near a road. The trick is to make the treats super duper (like cheese) and to keep them coming. After a while Snifter would associate traffic with the need to watch me and get treats. He will still lunge at lorries or motorbikes (not always, but I have to be alert and keep him on a short leash) but mostly he will now ignore traffic or stop and wait for it to go past. I don't need to use the treats any more.

If you can get somewhere near a road but not so close that he has got excited that is the best place to start your training. Treats once the pug has got hyper do little or nothing, and pulling away from the road won't help either.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Thats a really great idea, thanks for suggesting that! he is a HUGE fan of cheese. I have only been able to let him off the leash once in an enclosed park because of his antics. Similar to what you have to do with Snifter, I have to keep Barney on an incredibly short leash until we have passed traffic or crossed the road. The noise he makes sounds like he's in pain and I have had people ask if he's fine which I have had to explain he's just a ridiculously excited pug. Luckily nearby there is a large path that is close but not too close to a road I can train him on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

You have to be really generous with the treats in the beginning, so you may need to cut down his meals a tad to compensate. Cheese can at least be cut into tiny chunks, because it is the number of treats that matters rather than the size. Sometimes you can just give one or two but fairly frequently he needs to "hit the jackpot" with five or six to keep his interest up at the beginning. Good luck.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Okay thanks, I am going to give that a try tomorrow during his normal walk! He will be expecting the jackpot of 5/6 as I doubt with his greedy appetite 1/2 at a time will suffice enough to lure him away from traffic! Thanks for wishing me good luck and thanks again for your advice!
    Snifter likes this.

+ Reply to Thread