Need help training 6th month old male pug
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help training 6th month old male pug

CacieJade is offline New to the Village

Default Need help training 6th month old male pug

Hello my name is Cacie and I have a 6 month old pug named Oliver. I have had Oliver since he was 6 weeks old and have loved him every day he has been with me. I've always known that pugs were stubborn but I didn't know how stubborn until we got Olive... Lol. I am running out of options. I cannot get him potty trained. Every morning I get up and feed him at 6:30 in his crate and then a few minutes after he's done I take him outside. Usually he will pee and poop and then I will reward him and bring him back inside. But for the rest of the day he will not go outside! We do crate train him so if he doesn't go, we put him back in his crate. It started working for a few days but now he just refuses to go! He stands there and does nothing. I feel awful because he spends a lot of time in his crate. If I don't do that he will immideitely go in my floor and getting onto him when he potties in the floor does not work. I walk him outside for 15-20 minutes and nothing. I just don't know what else to do. I've tried treats, rewards, crate training, off leash and on leash. And nothing. I am desperate.

milo baby is offline Village Puppy

Hi! I have also heard that pugs are quiet hard to house train but I guess I got lucky with Milo and he was house trained by 5 months. Maybe you can try a litter box? This is how my guy learned.
    Milo was taught how to use the litter box first and then I gradually moved him to outside. Then it was a little bit outside and inside -and now he only goes outside and I got rid of it completely.
    The litter box can be his designation" go " spot in the house- so that he doesn't go all over your floors?
    I think it taught him that there are places you can go and place you are not allowed to. Although be warned they like to eat the litter so make sure it's all natural ingredients- also the litter some time gets on the floor so that annoying.
    I'm not too sure about any other suggestion as I didn't have to struggle as much as some -so hopefully someone else with have some good adviice! Wish you luck and hope he learns soon!!

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

How long do you spend outside, and what do you do while you're out there? Some dogs need to walk to manage to poop, especially.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

So are you saying that he will pee and poop first thing in the morning and then otherwise holds his pee and poop all day if you crate him but will use your floor if you do not crate him?

What does he do if you go on a walk outside of your house and garden?

What are his meal times?

It sounds to me as if something may be confusing him, or upsetting him. Possibly he is picking up on desperation from you that he should do something when you go outside, so he freezes because he does not get what it is you want from him.

Whatever you do, don't scold him for going indoors. It sounds as if he has no idea at all that outside is the appropriate place and as a follow-on he may be associating pee and poop as a bad thing to be doing if you scold him inside, even if you praise him outside. Scolding for indoors should be avoided at all costs until the dog knows outside is the place to go and you are 100% sure that the dog knows. I only ever used "uh uh" if I caught mine in the act when they were going through a phase of marking (mine are entire males).

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

CacieJade is offline New to the Village

he eats at 6:30 every morning and 6:30 every night. I'll take him out after he eats in the mornings and usually he will pee and poop. After that through out the day when I take him out, he will not go. And we spend 10-15 minutes walking around the apartment area. If we go outside and he doesn't go potty and I bring him inside he will immediately poop in my floor. So lately if he doesn't poop, I'll put him in his crate and every 15 minutes I'll try bringing him outside again until he goes because I know he has to go! It's mostly problem with pooping outside. I don't usually try to scold him for pooping in the floor.

puglover18 is offline Village VP

Sounds like he's got the routine down in the morning, kudos to you for that!! So, when does he have his next bowel movement? I take my pug out in the morning for a walk when he does both. If I am working out of the house, he's good in his crate and then the moment I come home at dinnertime, we immediately go out, where he relieves himself of both again, but if I am working from home, we will take a noon break outside and all he does is #1. I agree with the above post, he might be sensing your own frustration. Maybe you need to switch around your walk route, he may be bored and taking him out for a longer walk or a different route (they love to sniff new things), he may be inclined to do his biz, after which I would reward him generously, bring little treats with you. Good luck!!
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

Trinity is offline New to the Village

My chubs is 9 months old and he just started to go outside when we go out on walks I would take him every couple of hours to go and he just did not want to go restroom outside it wasn't till recently when he started to mark his territory that he goes outside now
    We have very few accidents now but puppy pads and that's spray at Petco to help with potting at certain spots helped a ton

LolaVilla is offline Village Puppy

Mine is turning 5 months next week and is also not fully trained. The morning routine is OK, she knows she has to pee and poop outside. We have a backyard and she has been trained to go to the sliding door whenever she needs to do her business. Have you trained Oliver to go the door? In that way, you don't have to feel guilty of putting him in a crate.
    I also agree that pugs are stubborn. Our Lola is now at an age that she already knows what pleases us, what she needs to do, etc. But still, she would sometime do things her way. Like running downstair and peeing and pooping in the carpet (that's right, my house is carpeted, what a nightmare!)

My advise is to hang on there because it seems you are doing the right thing by crate training him and taking him out frequently.
    Maybe you need to stay outside for more than 30 minutes? Don't play with him when he has to do his business too.

+ Reply to Thread