Oh, my ! What do I do here?? Puppy Biting!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By puglover18
  • 1 Post By Francis & Kayla
  • 2 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: Oh, my ! What do I do here?? Puppy Biting!

Francis & Kayla is offline Village Puppy

Default Oh, my ! What do I do here?? Puppy Biting!

I understand that my little puppy is going to bite . I just got my pug about 5 days ago and he has been biting NON STOP . It's not playful nibbling or aggressive really, it's just hard needle sharp teeth biting. And, he snips at my face, too! He'll pull on my clothes too. I've tried saying ENT! Really loud and pinching the back of his neck lightly like I was told to by the breeder. I did it once and felt GUILTY ( not doing that again!) . It didn't make him cry , it didn't even phase him because he probably didn't even notice cause I did it so lightly. I didn't want to hurt him. I try to treat my pug like a fragile baby. Also, I've tried shunning him and rewarding him if stops but, he doesn't care. I've even tried yelping like a dog loudly when he hurts me. He won't stop no matter what! He is 10 weeks old so , I'm thinking he's just teething. I know he will most likely grow out of it. But, my puggie is really hurting me and it's hard to enjoy time with him when it's constant pain . It's not a normal amount of biting, it's every second of every day every time possible! Never a peaceful moment! Please help, guys!
    Last edited by Francis & Kayla; 10-18-2016 at 06:11 PM.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

He's still only a tiny baby, but as you already know, this phase will soon pass. I really wouldn't advise the pinching of his neck. At best he'll think you're playing a rough game and react in kind, at worst you could inadvertently teach him to be hand shy when you want to pick him up, or to clean his face or eyes - something it's advisable to practise from a young age when he's a bit sleepy. Just use a firm sounding "No" without raising your voice too much and place a toy in his mouth and tell him he's good in a pleasant tone. It's a good idea to keep toys wherever you sit or in a pocket carried around with you so you've always got one to hand. If he bites at your clothes, gently disentangle his mouth whilst again saying "No" and putting a toy in his mouth. He'll soon learn from lots of repetition of this that you will only play with him when he's got a toy in his mouth.

Also at this age, like human toddlers they don't know for themselves when they need to rest and have a nap so they don't get over excited and over wrought. This is when an X-pen or a crate for daytime naps are very useful.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on! :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

puglover18 is offline Village VP

and on your new puppy!

There are lots of caring pug owners here that I'm sure will guide you in the right direction and give you some answers regarding the biting. Even though you feel you were told by an online "trainer" to lightly pinch the back of his neck, I don't see how that could remotely be helpful. Inflicting even a little bit of pain is not the relationship you want to establish with your new puppy. He is a baby, after all, and no one would do that to a human baby in order to curtail unwanted behavior, so why do it to a beloved pet.

Good luck to you!
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

TO LILY FAYRE I HATED the pinching of the neck idea. LOL But, many people told me to do it and I kinda did a light pinch but that even made me feel bad. lol I can't hurt my baby puggie. It's not in me to. I'm glad you are the first person that did not recommend that. I just put him down for a nap when he started to get super nippy and he's in his crate bedroom right now. Thanks for your response . You're awesome, thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by Francis & Kayla; 10-18-2016 at 06:12 PM.

TO PUG LOVER 18 .Yes. I did the pinching once and felt HORRIBLE. It never makes him cry or hurt, it doesn't phase him at all. But, the guilt still gets to me. My boyfriend tells me you should do it because people tell you to. And, I'm like OMG. I can't . It breaks my heart and it's not effective anyway. Thanks ! :)
    Last edited by Francis & Kayla; 10-18-2016 at 06:13 PM.

All you really need to do with a puppy is to be patient, observant so he doesn't come to any harm, kind and most importantly be consistent. Rewarding wanted behaviours with an encouraging voice tone and/or a treat is a far more successful way for a puppy to learn than any other method that is basically based on fear.

A friend of mine years ago was the consulting vet on the film set when 101 Dalmatians was remade. All of the animals used in the film had been 'clicker' trained using positive reinforcement techniques to perform on the film set with very few retakes being needed. Quite something when you think of the stress they were under being surrounded by strange people and all of the other animals. He did find it a nightmare one lunchtime when he was left on his own to 'babysit' 20 odd Dalmatian puppies in his office that were determined to wreck and chew everything in sight lol!

LolaVilla is offline Village Puppy

The good news is, it is just a stage and it will pass. Doesn't mean you have to take all the biting and nipping now. The best way is to give your pug lots of toys. Introduce to him what are acceptable to chew. Yelping does help and try to isolate him by putting him away from you (in a pen not a crate) , and just stop playing with him. If you have to do it 10x in a day, do it! The idea is to divert his attention to toys, and make him realize that biting is no fun and would mean ending the play time.

Hi

Just wanted to make it clear that when I talked about using an X pen or a crate for daytime naps which are really important for growing puppies to have, I was not meaning to suggest that you isolate or 'time out' your puppy from you as some kind of punishment.

Hope things are going a bit better for you today! :)
    DogMom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread