Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre
  • 1 Post By Lys
  • 1 Post By Lys

Thread: Puppy biting feet?

Lys
    Lys is offline New to the Village

Default Puppy biting feet?

Hi Everyone! I'm new here, so I apologize if this has already been posted.
    My sweet little pug puppy is about 20 weeks old, and we got him when he was 9 weeks. He has been an absolute joy except for one thing - he will not stop biting my feet as I walk! He's been doing this since the day we got him.
    I know biting is normal puppy behavior, and we've got him to stop biting at our hands and nipping at faces, etc., but he will not stop trying to attack feet/shoes. It doesn't matter if you're barefoot, have on socks/shoes, anything. He just constantly wants to go after my feet and it's making it impossible to freely walk around the house without tripping over him and constantly having to pick him up and move him. He will also occasionally do this on walks outside. (For the record, he gets 2 good walks a day, and tons of daily indoor play.)
    I've tried distracting him with one of his toys every time he bites. I've done the yelping thing. I've put him in his pen. Nothing seems to work.
    Has anyone experienced this with your puppy? Is it something that I just need to wait for him to grow out of? If so, when did your puppy stop doing this? I cannot wait for that day!
    Or is there some kind of training method that I haven't tried yet?

Sorry this was a long post, and thank you in advance!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

Have you tried teaching him a "leave" command?

It's quite easy to do - simplified version

Put him on his lead and walking him past something on the floor that he'd really like to have saying "leave" in a firm voice tone, and "good boy" in a happy voice whilst feeding him a small treat. Once he understands that he's not to touch the forbidden object on the floor in order to get the sweeties, hopefully your feet will be safe. Just stop moving and say "leave" - you'll need to reward frequently to start with

Good luck! Let us know how to going! :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Lys

That's a great idea, thank you so much!
    We started the "leave it" command but unfortunately haven't followed through with it enough. We will definitely start working on it. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Sounds like normal puppy behavior and he will outgrow it. Meanwhile try also redirecting him with a chew toy every time he goes after your feet. Glad to have you here!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Lys

Thank you Tinker's mom! I've just spent my life savings on an array of new teething toys. ;)
    :)

+ Reply to Thread