Is this normal pug puppy behavior or steps towards aggressiveness?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom

Thread: Is this normal pug puppy behavior or steps towards aggressiveness?

pugsnotdrugs6573 is offline New to the Village

Default Is this normal pug puppy behavior or steps towards aggressiveness?

Good evening everyone!
    I hope you are all healthy and safe. I just recently became a new pug mom to a 9 week old beautiful baby pug. She is active and energetic and everything I hoped she would be. However, recently I feel like we've reached a stagnant point in her training and it sort of seems like she's rebelling against us. Now, I know that she's still young and we shouldn't ask too much of her, but we're getting a little discouraged. For example, we have implemented a schedule for her to provide as much consistency and stability as possible. At 7am, we get up and take her out to potty, after we feed her, play with her for about an hour, take her out once again to potty, and put her in her crate to nap. Sometimes, she'll cry here or there but then she falls asleep. Then at 12 repeat the process, but this time we leave her out a little longer for play time. At 6, we feed her again, take her out to potty, spend time with her, then around 9 we soothe her so that she is able to fall asleep. This schedule has been working for us up until these past few days. Normally, she sleeps throughout the night till around 6:30 am, when she starts crying and wakes us up. However, now she wakes up at random hours, it's fine, we get it, so we wake up, try to take her to potty but all she seems to want to do is play. We leave plenty of toys in her kennel, as well as some stuffed kongs in case she wants a snack, but she seems to have lost interest. We put her back in the kennel, and this is when the crying and screaming starts. As a matter of fact, during her play time now, she's lost interest in toys and would rather start biting at us. At this point, her little teeth are SHARP, so she really digs them in. We have her cue words which are "enough!", normally she snaps out of it but if anything now, it riles her up even more. Whenever we notice her honing in for a bite, we place her toy in front of her, but she finds a way to wiggle out of it and aim for our hands, feet, whatever is in the way. This morning when my partner tried to take her out of her kennel to take her out for potty, she snapped and growled at him which she's never done to her dad before. I've raised puppies before, but this is my first pug. Before getting her, I read a lot about how they can be stubborn at times and require lots of patience. We make sure to spend lots of time with her, offer her praise and treats when we're proud of her, and make sure she has a safe and cozy environment despite living in a condo on the second floor. However, it feels like she is just not happy with us. I'm sorry for the long and drawling post but we're desperate. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I don't feel like I have enough puppy experience to give you a helpful or informative reply, but I will say that from years of reading PugVillage, it seems that pug puppies do go through a very bite-y phase and everyone says those sharp puppy teeth can really hurt. Your little girl is very young still and has a lot of growing and learning to do. I don't think her behavior is aggressive, I think it's just puppy behavior. Hopefully someone with more puppy experience will come along soon and provide some first-hand guidance and knowledge.

Welcome to PugVillage!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Hi. I think she is going through the standard puppy phase, I wouldn’t classify it as aggression at her age in fact maybe she has just discovered her voice and doesn’t quite understand the noises she’s making. Lolli, she earned the nickname Lollinado when she was a puppy, for the exact reasons you are describing. Her little sharp teeth seemed to love our hands, toes, pant legs anything but her toys for the longest time. When they are that young consistency is key. Once she starts to bite you need to immediately give her a toy and try to redirect her and then praise her when she starts to play with it, if she continues to try to bite and nip tell her no and put her in her crate or play yard. It can take awhile and a lot of perseverance but eventually most do get it, but having said all of that, Lolli will be 2 the end of the month and she still has the occasional Lollinado moments and will try and nip at my slippers or pant legs as I’m walking but she mostly does it when she wants my attention now. Good luck and hang in there.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

How old is she now ?
    You got her at 9 weeks correct ?
    A routine is great and I always recommend it for every new puppy owner .
    So what I think might have happened is you got a smart puppy. Puppies need sleep but some puppies love to play more than anything and actually prefer to play just with their humans. Actually pug want to be with people 24/7 they are bred to be companion lap dogs .
    Your puppy found out that when she wakes up and makes some noise you let her out of the crate for potty and play . Yay puppy loves potty and play .

Throughout raising the puppy you will need to adjust your schedule just a little here and there . My guys were really calm right before a growing phase and then my Bruno would just be so wild and almost uncontrollably . Next you know there is a fearful phase or a shy one .
    Training always help and tires a puppy. Start with sit and go from there.
    Once she has her shots incorporated walking in your schedule 20 to 30 min twice a day is plenty . If you got a friendly neighborhood teach her how to greet people . Meeting people is good mental exercise.

Why she growled and snapped I am not sure . A few things come to mind . She got spooked somehow him reaching for her or maybe got soreness from playing
    Or it was just a rebellious outburst trying to see what happens .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

orangeversion is offline New to the Village

Quote Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs6573 View Post
    Good evening everyone!
    I hope you are all healthy and safe. I just recently became a new pug mom to a 9 week old beautiful baby pug. She is active and energetic and everything I hoped she would be. However, recently I feel like we've reached a stagnant point in her training and it sort of seems like she's rebelling against us. Now, I know that she's still young and we shouldn't ask too much of her, but we're getting a little discouraged. For example, we have implemented a schedule for her to provide as much consistency and stability as possible. At 7am, we get up and take her out to potty, after we feed her, play with her for about an hour, take her out once again to potty, and put her in her crate to nap. Sometimes, she'll cry here or there but then she falls asleep. Then at 12 repeat the process, but this time we leave her out a little longer for play time. At 6, we feed her again, take her out to potty, spend time with her, then around 9 we soothe her so that she is able to fall asleep. This schedule has been working for us up until these past few days. Normally, she sleeps throughout the night till around 6:30 am, when she starts crying and wakes us up. However, now she wakes up at random hours, it's fine, we get it, so we wake up, try to take her to potty but all she seems to want to do is play. We leave plenty of toys in her kennel, as well as some stuffed kongs in case she wants a snack, but she seems to have lost interest. We put her back in the kennel, and this is when the crying and screaming starts. As a matter of fact, during her play time now, she's lost interest in toys and would rather start biting at us. At this point, her little teeth are SHARP, so she really digs them in. We have her cue words which are "enough!", normally she snaps out of it but if anything now, it riles her up even more. Whenever we notice her honing in for a bite, we place her toy in front of her, but she finds a way to wiggle out of it and aim for our hands, feet, whatever is in the way. This morning when my partner tried to take her out of her kennel to take her out for potty, she snapped and growled at him which she's never done to her dad before. I've raised puppies before, but this is my first pug. Before getting her, I read a lot about how they can be stubborn at times and require lots of patience. We make sure to spend lots of time with her, offer her praise and treats when we're proud of her, and make sure she has a safe and cozy environment despite living in a condo on the second floor. However, it feels like she is just not happy with us. I'm sorry for the long and drawling post but we're desperate. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Your dog is not aggressive at all. She is just going through puppy phase. And this time you have to adjust to it. Make sure you are making a schedule and following it properly. Give your dog enough time so that she feels happy. Most importantly make her comfortable with you guys. After seeing your post, I am sure you love her a lot. So all you have to do is keep patience on what you are doing. Your puppy has a lot of things to learn so don't worry. Give your puppy training regularly. Give your puppy full attention. Maybe your dog wants it from you guys. Thats why she has lack of interest in toys.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

Personally I'd be a bit concerned about a 9 week old puppy growling and snapping and would want to get her checked over by a vet to ensure that there isn't anything wrong.

As mentioned above, routine is very important for a puppy, as are rest periods, but maybe I have misunderstood your post as it does seem to me that she is crated during the day for very long periods. Is it possible for her to have some of her naps cuddled up on your laps rather than alone in her crate? My first puppy was a super energetic, biting machine needing constant redirection to a toy to chew rather than my hands, but they do pass through this phase
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread