Potty training
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tonkasmom
  • 1 Post By Snifter

Thread: Potty training

nicolerdh is offline Village Puppy

Default Potty training

My pug is almost 6 months and I’m having a really hard time training her. She will not go to the door and she has her still having accidents in the house. I am persistent and I take her out all the time but she still has accidents. I don’t think she realizes that what she’s doing is bad because she looks right at me when she does it. Does anyone have any advice to help make this training easier?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I say 1st always you need to ask the vet . Just to be sure she has no UTI . And I know hard to find a vet now .
    For Training the best advice get a routine started and stick to it . Teach her to go on command take her out tell her go potty , she goes , give her a treat . Do not take her inside until she has gone . Donít use treats for anything else only for potty . When she getís it you can train other things with treats . But for now she only getís treats going pee outside .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tonkasmom is offline Village Mayor

I think some are just slower to learn unfortunately. My last pug, Tonka, was completely trained in less than a week. My current baby, Luna was hit or miss until it just clicked for her at 10 months old. I really had to go over the top - have a party for her so excited every time she went potty where she was supposed to.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Kristy (previously Puggie Baby)
    Tonka 12/2004 - 6/2018 and Luna born 12/31/2018

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Don't scold her if she does it indoors. If she starts going then try to distract her (clap hands or something, make it jolly, not cross) then immediately take her out to finish the job. Keep her under constant surveillance because you really, really want to reduce the times she potties inside and maximise the times she goes outside, so you can praise and treat for going outside.

Praise and reward her every single time she potties outside. You need to go out with her so you can give the treat as soon as she finishes. If you wait for her to come back in then she will associate the treat with coming inside, not with pottying. Pottying outside has to be a REALLY GOOD THING for her - maybe consider having some extra special treats like tiny bits of cheese for that purpose only.

To reduce accidents indoors, try to get her on a potty schedule. This means feeding and exercising her at the same times each day. Keep a diary of mealtimes, walks and sleep times and a note of what time she potties and whether it is pee or poop. You should start to see a pattern emerge after a couple of weeks. Then you can make sure to take her outside at around the times you know she is likely to need to potty (this eventually saves you going out every hour on the hour just in case she needs to go, which is tough to keep up). Schedule based training is very useful and works well for pugs, since they don't all ask to go outside, however much you try to train them. Well, actually they DO ask to go outside eventually, but the signals are very subtle and easily missed. Toddy used to come and disturb me but this could easily be mistaken for wanting to play. Snifter just looked at me in a particular way. If your pug is really not getting on with learning to ask to go out then I would not sweat it.

Finally make sure you clean up all accidents thoroughly with a cleaner that removes the smell even for a doggy's sensitive nose. Dogs like to go where they have gone before. As to that - consider limiting areas in the house where the pug may roam, especially if unattended. My boys used to like going to the guest room to potty and it was the last place in the house where I could rely on them to be clean. Because we rarely went in there they did not really see it as a general living area where they should be clean. If you can't shut off rooms, or don't want to, then make a point of spending time in the lesser used areas with your pug. Play in there, or even serve the occasional meal there. That way they will more quickly associate every area of the house as being a living space that should not be soiled.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread