• 3 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By pugaddiction
  • 1 Post By titothepug
  • 1 Post By titothepug
  • 3 Post By titothepug

Thread: Accidents or Marking? I cannot tell with my 8-month old Puppy

titothepug is offline Village Puppy

Question Accidents or Marking? I cannot tell with my 8-month old Puppy

When I first got our little guy Chester in December, I spent so much time reading everything about pug potty training. Our older 8yr old pug, Tito, is a potty champ. He never has accidents and lasts 8 hours no problem. If he had it his way, he would only go out every 12 hours haha he is very lazy.

Chester is crate trained, loves his crate and has only had 3 accidents in his crate to date! He is awesome with his crate.

Chester, from 4 months old to 6 months was an absolute mess. Even with a strict schedule, he had plenty of accidents. But, that was okay, he's little. Around 7 months, he started showing really really impressive improvement. He went a 3-4 week span with no accidents and holding his pee for 3hrs at a time plus 3 poops per day.

All of sudden, two weeks ago he pooped 3x in 3 days in the house. We chalked it up to a bad weekend. When he was smaller, he would put his nose to the carpet (our whole apartment aside from the kitchen is carpeted) and go in circles so we know he was looking to pee/poop. We've cleaned all his accidents with the enzymatic cleaner as best as possible every time.

Now, he will sniff the carpet at random points. And if he pees, he pees while walking and it will leave a line of pee. But not a lot of pee, just a small amount.

There is no pattern, he will do this 10 minutes after going outside to 1 hour. And he is currently having a good streak of 4 days, but who knows.

Do you guys think this is him starting to mark? We have noticed he is much more "proud" and not scared of new things. We were thinking maybe he is beginning to mark?

But its so random I have no clue....

Any advnice?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I say get him checked UTI first .
    And if you rule out a medical condition I say ask the vet .
    The age is about right for marking . Are planing on neutering him?
    Not that makes that much of a difference there is tons of research on what , when and if out there.

Carpet is difficulty to get cleaned 100% the dogs noses are so good they can smell the tiniest particles.

I liked oxiclean pet stain remover it smelled better than most .
    You might want to rent a machine at the grocery store and go over the areas .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Does he lift his leg when he pees outside, with my experience marking was always done with a leg lift. I too would have him seen by a vet just to rule out any medical conditions.
    Pugs do take a long time to potty train. Our female Zoey was still peeing in the house, on our bed, when she was a year old. I wish you all the best.
    Good thing they are cute.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I say get him checked UTI first .
    And if you rule out a medical condition I say ask the vet .
    The age is about right for marking . Are planing on neutering him?
    Not that makes that much of a difference there is tons of research on what , when and if out there.

Carpet is difficulty to get cleaned 100% the dogs noses are so good they can smell the tiniest particles.

I liked oxiclean pet stain remover it smelled better than most .
    You might want to rent a machine at the grocery store and go over the areas .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confirmed no UTI. Yes, we were waiting until he was a year-old as was the suggestion of the breeder. But I've seen conflicting things that anywhere from 8-12 months is fine to neuter. I will look into getting that cleaner now.

And yes, plan to rent a carpet cleaner very soon to go over the entire apartment really. Thanks so much!
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pugaddiction View Post
    Does he lift his leg when he pees outside, with my experience marking was always done with a leg lift. I too would have him seen by a vet just to rule out any medical conditions.
    Pugs do take a long time to potty train. Our female Zoey was still peeing in the house, on our bed, when she was a year old. I wish you all the best.
    Good thing they are cute.
    He lifts his leg to pee outside. He does not lift his leg to pee indoors. UTI was ruled out and he's healthy. Yeah, I've heard the same but figured worth a shot to ask if anyone had similar experiences. Patience is definitely a virtue with the little guy.
    pugaddiction likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Accidents or Marking? I cannot tell with my 8-month old Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by titothepug View Post
    Confirmed no UTI. Yes, we were waiting until he was a year-old as was the suggestion of the breeder. But I've seen conflicting things that anywhere from 8-12 months is fine to neuter. I will look into getting that cleaner now.

And yes, plan to rent a carpet cleaner very soon to go over the entire apartment really. Thanks so much!
    If the Breeder says 1 year I would trust them. I always ask my Breeder about major issues .
    As for the marking. Make sure you watch him closely especially at those spots he has already gone before . While you restrict him at home make sure you provide with plenty of opportunity on walks . Let him sniff and give him lead to mark . We tell our boys they are good when they are marking and they get extra praise for the scratch action afterwards . We also tell them “Keep going” when we try to avoid them peeing at that location . Actually I talk a lot to my boys while walking .
    This is in a dogs nature and I rather tell them it is OK here but not there .
    If you feel like it is getting out of hand you can always try Bellybands. I only ever had one incident and that was when my boys visited a friends house with Pugs .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    If the Breeder says 1 year I would trust them. I always ask my Breeder about major issues .
    As for the marking. Make sure you watch him closely especially at those spots he has already gone before . While you restrict him at home make sure you provide with plenty of opportunity on walks . Let him sniff and give him lead to mark . We tell our boys they are good when they are marking and they get extra praise for the scratch action afterwards . We also tell them “Keep going” when we try to avoid them peeing at that location . Actually I talk a lot to my boys while walking .
    This is in a dogs nature and I rather tell them it is OK here but not there .
    If you feel like it is getting out of hand you can always try Bellybands. I only ever had one incident and that was when my boys visited a friends house with Pugs .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree! and yes, we've been doing just that. I save special treats for outside pee/poop and we always praise him.

+ Reply to Thread