New pug puppy - Few Questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: New pug puppy - Few Questions

Xstasea is offline Village Puppy

DefaultNew pug puppy - Few Questions

So I’ve almost had my puppy for 2 weeks and he isn’t at all what I was expecting! Even though he’s great in his crate and doesn’t cry at all I’m having a tough time with his biting and extreme high energy levels / being naughty. If this is all normal puppy behaviour then that’s fine but obviously I don’t want this to carry on for the rest of his life. Unfortunately I have to wait another week before I can start taking him out but I was under the impression that pugs were low energy dogs. Unless I have the one pug that isn’t lol. Although I’m getting a real bond with him I would love some tips and reassurance that this phase will pass and he will mellow out. Currently he’s just so naughty he loves chewing everything and is also very brave. Nothing phases or scares the little guy and he’s forever rolling about and knocking himself into everything. I’m having a lot of fun but am starting to wonder if maybe I’m doing things wrong or if I should be firmer? I keep thinking to myself oh he’s just a puppy the biting and chewing and zoomies are all normal but if some more experienced pug owners could maybe let me know then that would be greatly appreciated. When he’s gentle and tired and just lies on me it’s so nice but I’m starting to have to give him time outs as he goes above that level becomes so excited and turns into a little demonically possessed puppy lol.
    Rugbysmom likes this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Sounds like pretty normal behavior to me. Try to redirect his biting, chewing by firmly telling him no and offering a chew toy. When he's a little older and has all his shots you can get him out more and wear off some of that energy. If the world ever gets back to normal a good obedience class is really beneficial. For now view some videos on basic training and get him started on sit, down, come, leave it etc. Most pugs are very food motivated and small pieces of his food or special treats when training only, work great. I'm sure you'll get lots more advice here.
    Glad to have you here!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

Lucy was a very busy, bitey little puppy. As she matured, she calmed down. A lot.
    Hang in there!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Christine
    Servant to Lucy the pug, wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a tank full of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17.
    https://pugspancakes.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for that! I’ve managed to teach him sit and drop it and tbh he seems like a very intelligent little pug. The issue is I can’t really find any good treats in the UK and he doesn’t seem too motivated by them. The biscuits he can’t really seem to chew just yet and he just has a snif and then leaves them. I ordered some special small liver treats from
    Amazon they are very small so should be easier for him to eat and for me to use .

Another thing I noticed is he needs me all the time he can’t seem to keep himself entertained with toys are chews and if I don’t give him the attention or play with him the destructive behaviour comes out and he starts tearing up the place lol. Obviously I don’t mind spending a lot of time with him and playing with him but currently working from home it’s hard to give him every minute of every hour he’s awake.
    puglover22 and Rugbysmom like this.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have joined us. You have discovered what so many unsuspecting new Pug owners have found out. Pug puppies are bitey, little whirling dervishes. The good news is it's only a phase and they most likely will eventually become the snugglely couch potatos everyone envisions. Sounds like you are off to a good start with redirecting and training. Remember a tired Pug puppy is a good Pug puppy. Tiny pieces of cheese or boiled chicken might amp up his interest in training. Pugs are often called velcro dogs because they were bred specifically to be companions and they take their job very seriously. We all consider it quite endearing that they want nothing more than to be with us. Would love to see some photos of your new family member - we do love pix here.
    Last edited by Lu Ci and Ri Ki; 05-14-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    Tinker's mom, Rugbysmom and Jacqui like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Oh yes all normal. I think Louie‘s Mom will remember ...
    Not to long ago she was experience the same . She was also working from home . She might be able to give you some tips.
    My Bruno (2nd Pug ) was a Wildling . He is going to be 3 years old soon. Oh man he was my little devil . He is now a Therapy dog and well behaved and super sweet .
    Hang in there .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Jacqui like this.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

It's NORMAL!!! You have to just keep hanging in there & do what you've been doing & the key word here is PATIENCE!!! It will get better! All he has known before is running wild & playing with his siblings, etc, & they have to learn English one word at a time.....once they learn a simple thing like sit, the "lightbulb" kind of goes off in their heads & they become easier to train. Only reward the behaviors you want--ignore everything you don't! They start to learn that if they are behaving, they get rewarded, sometimes with treats or pets, but nothing fun happens when they're naughty! As he grows, and you keep up with the training, he will gradually get better until one day you realize, Hey, he doesn't done THAT for months! Everybody else gave great advice! You'll get through it, he will become your best friend in the world, & then you will be amazed that you ever felt like this! Right now, he just wants to play...….enjoy him, they really aren't puppies for very long! Can't wait to see pics!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Jacqui like this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Yes, that sounds just like my Lucy, she is 13 weeks, very busy, loves chewing and nipping. I am crate training, and I have a fenced in back yard and we go outside a lot and she plays and tires herself out. Lucy is ver food motivated so we do some training daily, and if you feel you need a break, crate him.
    Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae

Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

Thanks for all of that guys, that’s a relief to hear!

It won’t let me post pics on here I don’t think as it’s saying they need to be resized? Would love to show you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xstasea; 05-15-2020 at 01:47 AM.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Welcome.

Shop bought treats are usually crap. The one exception we found was the SuperStars training treats from Fish4Dogs. Everything from that company is great, but those particular treats are handy for when you are out and about as they are not greasy and they are small. Both of mine loved them. For training at home, though, your best bet is really tiny cubes of something like Edam or chicken breast. Mine also liked tiny bits of banana, or apple, or blueberries. Tip - cut blueberries in half. Both of mine, if given a whole one, would roll it round in their mouth and then snap it with their lips and cover my floor with blueberry juice, which stains hideously.

Many people think pugs are laid back. Ha ha. For sure they can be, but not necessarily, and the puppies are pretty full on. Behaviour does mellow, but to what extent very much depends on the pug. You say he seems very intelligent - that often goes hand in hand with a live wire.

Making pup use his brain will tire him out much more than exercise alone. So I'd recommend lots of very short training sessions in a day (10 minutes or so at a time so neither of you gets bored or frustrated). Always end the training session on a high note. You say he has a good solid sit, so if you ever have a session where he is not getting it and starts getting frustrated (usually indicated by sitting down and yawning) then ask him to sit so you can praise and treat and then end the session. Likewise if you are doing something harder and he suddenly gets it, resist the temptation to ask him to do it just one more time. It will sink in far better if you throw a party for the first success and then come back to it again later.

Time outs are a useful tool in the armoury. It's the only thing that worked for both my boys to get them out of the nipping phase. But avoid the temptation to get firm with a pug. They don't understand it. Far better to make sure they know what you DO want them to do. If puppy is lying quietly or playing with a toy, don't forget to say "good boy" every now and then. That will seem counter productive initially because pup is likely to perk up at your voice and come to you for some attention, but longer term it is good for pup to know what behaviours yield a good result. Ultimately pup will lie for quite a long time being good, even if he is just waiting for you to say "good boy" so he can get up and come to you for cuddles.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast