A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy

Xstasea is offline Village Puppy

As I can finally let Reggie out and I don’t have a yard I was wondering how many times do you think I can take him for a walk outside?

I know people say 5 minutes for every month but I really feel Reggie needs more than 15 minutes a day. Also I enjoy walking with him and want to start trying to encourage him to go outside. He seems to have already learned doing number 2 outside which is great but number one he is still holding until he’s back in the apartment and on his puppy pad lol

Also when I say a walk it’s literally that, like a walk around the block, or huge fields / parks where he is running around. Or is any walk outside classed as exercise ? I know too much can be bad for their joints/growth when it comes to active excercise but because he is so active and full of energy is it a problem?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Last year we lived in a townhome no yard . I walked twice a day in the neighborhood morning and evening (unless it was hot) . Each about 20 to 30 min if the weather was nice I would extent it .
    My son took my boys out for a short round around the block after school .

Now we got a yard and we walk 10 to 20 at least once sometimes twice a day .

I also walk on weekends off leash on a Nature Park .
    We like some dog parks but they are closed at the moment .

I take my dogs for rides on bad weather days and sometimes just to get a coffee .

When it getĎs hot I take my boys to stores with me and we got a list of Breweries allowing dogs inside the Taproom.

Actually our dogs pretty much come with us on trips etc . too. We plan mostly activities with the dogs .

I do miss our old home for one reason . We would meet every other week for a Pug MeetUp and the organizer is also a member here . I really miss that a lot.

You might want to check for MeetUps or even see of the rescues have Pug Parties . Most is probably canceled :(

Every situation is different and you will see what works for you and Regie .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

I think something I’ve noticed is when little Reggie is tired and needs a nap he can’t seem to settle and get some shut eye. What I’m doing is putting him in his crate so he can settle down and get sleepy. Once he is out I’ll go and open the crate and he will jump out and come and lie on me to nap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Perfect
    Yes Pug puppies get over stimulated . My Bruno used to too. Pug puppies are so aware with their surroundings and learning everything they can. But on your lap that is where they are happiest . And what is not better than sitting on the couch with a snuggle Pug ?
    You are doing a great job .

Yeah it’s tough, I mean I’ve got him doing puzzles, sniff mats, taking him out, giving him chew toys, playing with him, giving him kongs but even after all that, random stuff will still trigger him and it’s like something just snaps in his head and all the bad behaviours come out. I tried some more time outs today but after I let him back in the room he went straight back to clawing the couch and going wild trying to get under it, scratching and chewing the rug etc What’s worse is when he’s in this state, if you go anywhere near him with your hands the teeth come out and the biting starts. I suppose what is a positive, is that he’s not biting as hard. I’ve also got a proper playpen in the living room with his crate in now. I think I might start using that to put him in when he misbehaves and just wait for him to settle down in his crate before I let him out. Putting him in his crate and zipping the door is actually quite scary as I have to like hold him down with one hand which gets bit and then when I close the door he’s just lounging at it like an absolute wild beast lol.

At what point is it time to call a vet? Or is this just a case of being consistent and all part of puppyhood? I wish I could understand what exactly is going on in his little head. When he does finally settle and I let him out he’s usually down for nap time. Maybe he is getting over tired and just refusing to go and sleep by himself? I mean this seems strange to me as when it’s at night and hits like 10pm, which is his usual bed time he will just lie down and fall asleep by himself. It’s all very confusing! The problem is when he’s not in this psycho mode he’s such a lovely little guy, loves being around me , loves being cuddled, licks my hands instead of biting them etc lol. Also every time he does things well or good I am giving him praise and trying to positively re-enforce, give him treats etc but I feel like it’s just not working as you would think by now he would have realised what is acceptable and what is not. I just wish these random psycho moments would subside. Even out on a walk he’s great , doesn’t pick up anything he shouldn’t , walks nicely on the leash without chewing it but then we get to this little grass patch at the end and he snaps start running around in circles, picks up every leaf in sight, chews the leash, goes for my pants/shoes. At least with the leash on I have more controle I guess.
    Last edited by Xstasea; 06-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.

So had the dog training, I thought I learnt some things but not sure if I have. The dog seems to be getting worse he has now turned on my curtains and nearly ripped my curtain rail off the wall. In terms of the biting I tried doing the basic leave it training but my hands got torn to shreds . I feel like I have literally done everything for the dog and I’m just not getting anywhere. I am coming to my wits end here and am seriously considering giving up and getting rid of it which I know is horrible but my idea was a dog brings me happiness and at the moment after being with it for about 6 weeks I am sad, angry, frustrated and have spent a considerable amount of money. I don’t know what to do, I’m starting to think there’s something wrong with it. I mean I’ve seen so many puppies and training vids and none of them seem to be anywhere near as bad as Reggie. The sad part is he can be so nice at times I just wish this crazy nuisance behaviour and the biting would stop. The time outs and putting him in the pen to settle also don’t work he goes in gets a nap and comes out even worse also I’m starting to wonder if the training is actually doing more harm than good or even if I am expecting too much and maybe I should just let him do what he wants whilst he is a puppy but surely that will only have bad consequences as he grows up?

rupp49er is online now Village Puppy

Our latest pug Banjo had/has a lot of the same behaviors. We did a lot of the things you are doing, he is one year old now, and while he's far from perfect he is a lot better. We still try to walk him, play with him or take him for a ride daily, he pretty much goes everywhere he is allowed to go with me. He till gets out of control sometimes, seems like it is right before he is ready to sleep, kind of like a child does. He usually calms down in his crate, and if I take him upstairs to his bed he will spazz out for a minute or two and then he is out for the night. Don't give up, we didn't and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, he is great when we go camping and never has the biting episodes, I think because there is so much going on and he wears himself out. Reggie will get better, you just have to keep at it and celebrate the small victories.

DefaultA question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy

What did the Trainer do ? Did he/she see him at his best ?
    Did the Trainer come to the house ?

I want you to know you are not alone . We got a few members here with some wild puppy experiences .
    My Bruno of course, Louie , Lolli or Lollinado ,Charlie to name a few .

Yeah came to my house was working on clicking excercises etc, got another trainer tomorrow where I have to go to their field and it’s with their dogs as well so see how that goes. Tbh I think from speaking with other dog owners it’s helped a lot as they have all gone through similar things. What I’ve started to do now is put him in his crate when I feel he needs a nap. He gets his worse behaviour when I think he’s over tired and can’t settle and I know he’s tired because he’s yawning and tries to settle but just can’t because too many distractions. Also when I put him in his crate and a blanket over it, usually very quickly he will be out for the count. I counted just how much sleep he was getting the other day and he wasn’t even getting to 14 hours. I know sleep is very important for puppies and they should be getting between 16-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstasea View Post
    Yeah came to my house was working on clicking excercises etc, got another trainer tomorrow where I have to go to their field and itís with their dogs as well so see how that goes. Tbh I think from speaking with other dog owners itís helped a lot as they have all gone through similar things. What Iíve started to do now is put him in his crate when I feel he needs a nap. He gets his worse behaviour when I think heís over tired and canít settle and I know heís tired because heís yawning and tries to settle but just canít because too many distractions. Also when I put him in his crate and a blanket over it, usually very quickly he will be out for the count. I counted just how much sleep he was getting the other day and he wasnít even getting to 14 hours. I know sleep is very important for puppies and they should be getting between 16-20.
    I am personally not a big fan of clicker training but many love it . I need my hands open .
    I hope the trainer has worked with you on your problems like the biting etc.
    This is a smart puppy and I really believe they are more hyper as puppy . You will get there I promise . He will be growing in a smart boy and you actually wish someday he was a puppy again . You are going to have such a great Pug .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast