A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy

Xstasea is offline Village Puppy

Yeah he basically told me that every time he bites to put him in his crate for 2 mins. Let him out if he’s still biting he goes back in for 2.5 minutes . I then just keep upping it by 30 seconds every time I let him out and he bites. He said that no dog has ever gotten past 5 minutes. I’m trying it and seems to be pretty good he’s been less bitey today which is good. Still got a long way to go. The trainer loved him said he’s one of the most energetic and intelligent pugs he’s ever seen. But also said I really have to be consistent in training he said if I do I can have the perfect pug if not then I can have a little devil that will cause havoc on my life. On a positive note, he’s 14 weeks tomorrow and house trained so that’s good. I know a lot of people struggle with that when it comes to pugs.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Xstasea View Post
    Yeah he basically told me that every time he bites to put him in his crate for 2 mins. Let him out if hes still biting he goes back in for 2.5 minutes . I then just keep upping it by 30 seconds every time I let him out and he bites. He said that no dog has ever gotten past 5 minutes. Im trying it and seems to be pretty good hes been less bitey today which is good. Still got a long way to go. The trainer loved him said hes one of the most energetic and intelligent pugs hes ever seen. But also said I really have to be consistent in training he said if I do I can have the perfect pug if not then I can have a little devil that will cause havoc on my life. On a positive note, hes 14 weeks tomorrow and house trained so thats good. I know a lot of people struggle with that when it comes to pugs.
    I think he is already perfect just need to know what is acceptable . Yeah smart is what I say !
    Bruno as wild as he was , he was potty trained day one and never chewed furniture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So I have been reading a lot about puppies becoming over tired and then exhibiting bad behaviours . I really feel this is an issue with Reggie. I mean he is 14 weeks and is barely getting 13 hours sleep a day. At night time it’s not a problem , he’s usually out for the count at around 8/9pm and will sleep until 6-7am. It’s during the day that he just can’t seem to settle and a lot of things during the day will distract him. This is also when he will start to go a bit crazy. As he doesn’t have a problem with his crate I’m going to start enforcing naps during the day. After he has done everything I’m going to put him in there and let him have a few 2 hour naps. The target is 16+ hours sleep a day to see if that improves his behaviour. I read as well that puppies need 2 hours sleep for every hour that they are awake. As Reggie currently is sleeping less than an adult dog I really cant see getting him to sleep more to be a problem. Another cause for concern is when a puppy is over-tired it produces stress hormones in them, obviously this is not something I want so time to be a bit stricter and force the little guy to get his zzzz’s.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Apparantly Reggie doesn’t have an off switch if he has like two 1 hour naps a day it’s lucky! He does sleep from about 9 at night till 8-9 in the morning. But still don’t feel like he is getting enough sleep.

Wow that is actually a long time . My dogs get up early 5.30am and they wait for food at 6 am then a little later they have some morning naps .
    Bedtime is late when we go to bed at 10ish or 11ish we take them out one more time . They are sleeping and snuggling while we watch TV in the evening starting around 8pm .
    Reggie can hold his pee for a long time .

Haha well not quite, usually when I go to bed around 11-12 I let him out on the balcony to have a pee. After that we go to bed.

Can you remember how much your wild pug napped at around 4 months? People keep telling me growing pups need like 18+ hours sleep a day!

We got him at 15 weeks old it was my choice and I preferred him to be older. I was actually not home at first I had to go for an emergency back home to Germany .
    I was not working for a few weeks and I remember he was crazy active in the mornings and I went for walks twice before lunch time . He let me cook and prepare for my son to come home from school . He was active most of the afternoons . Usually napped before dinner and then really ramped up after dinner . We walked and played before we settled for evening snuggles . I was his playmate my older Pug had no interest and was avoiding him if not running away from him and my husband was his snuggle buddy . I trained him mostly in the morning at our 2nd walk .I left my other Pug often at home for a break .
    I had no fenced yard where I lived . With nice weather we did a lot of walking on bad weather I would take the boys to the drive through for coffee and sometimes to a store .
    We had Pug MeetUps , dog park visits , and walked at a Nature preserve on days I did not work .

Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Roseys Mom is offline Village Mayor

I am reading this whole thread as if it were written about my pug puppy, Nora. I am having the EXACT same issues. My last pug, Rosey, was such a calm, gentle soul. Nora is a completely different pug. She sounds like she could be Reggie's sister. I am experiencing the hyperactivity, biting, lack of sleep.... Wondering from other Pug Villagers, what do you think about using the crate as "time out"? I have read that you shouldn't use the crate as "punishment"...but it's really the only thing that calms Nora down. I'm looking at finding a puppy socialization class. Nora is 16 weeks old and nothing seems to work, either. I am also going to start an obedience class with her where I attend as well. Getting puppies in to these classes has been hard. Since the coronavirus hit, many people got puppies and now the trainers are overwhelmed with requests for classes. Thank you for posting about Reggie! It's helping me, too!

To be honest, I tried doing the enforced naps and things like that and I didn’t really notice a difference.

One thing that is helping Reggie is repetition and patience. Sometimes it might feel like you have told the dog 100000 times and they still don’t get it, but you may notice small and gradual improvements.

Second I am taking Reggie out to the park 2ce a day and really letting him get all his energy spent. I think a big part of it is just puppyhood , I can safely say Reggie is getting better , he just has his moments where he will get very excited and hyper and that’s when the craziness/biting starts. I’m told that this also calms down as they get older so I think it’s just a phase we have to get through. It’s also very important to know the difference between a dog biting out of aggression and an over excited puppy biting because they want to play. Reggie has got a few months left of teething and hopefully once that has happened the biting will be almost down to zero.

It’s really tough but I think from what you are planning to do it should really help. Another good thing that helped Reggie is letting him be with my friends older dog. Dogs are much better at telling other dogs how to behave and quickly teach a puppy what they will and will not tolerate.

In terms of using the crate as a punishment, I would advise getting a playpen set up somewhere away from you. If you feel like the dog is getting crazy or hyper or needs a nap put them in there with some toys or a bone to chew on. Just make sure it is away from you, it gives you a break and because there’s usually not much to do in a playpen they will settle and get some sleep. This obviously comes after throwing a tantrum which you have to be strong with and not give in to.
    Last edited by Xstasea; 07-03-2020 at 03:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123