A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: A question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy

Xstasea is offline Village Puppy

Hi guys,

I am trying to understand as much as I can about my 3 month pug puppy. Now I know getting excited and hyper is a normal thing but I’ve literally done everything I can to tire him out. From physical excercise to mental/puzzle games, kongs, training, tricks etc. Unfortunately he seems to just have these hyperactive moments where he literally turns into a psychopathic little terror lol. He’s restless, starts destructive behaviour , extremely bitey (my hands have about 8-9 punctures).

Now I really am struggling to understand what it is that I’m doing wrong or if it’s something in maybe his dna. He has no fear, is very boisterous , extremely nosey, inquisitive etc. I have been told two things and wanted your advice.

The first is that I should schedule more ‘nap times’ for my pup where I will just put him in his crate throughout the day so he can get a lot more sleep. Currently he only goes in his crate when it’s bedtime at night or if I have to pop to the shop etc. Apart from that I just have him with me in the living room and let him go to sleep on his own when he feels like a nap. Obviously there is a lot of other stimulus around in the living room so I am wondering if it’s difficult for him to get proper naps?

Second I was also recommended to give him something called Yucalm by Lintbells. This makes some sort of pathways in his brain more receptive to calm behaviour . I just don’t know how I feel about giving a puppy calming tablets... but the difficulty is, at what point do I say awww he’s just being a puppy and it shall pass or I say actually this behaviour Is unacceptable and I need to sort it out.

Luckily I can now start taking him for walks , but even after a pretty decent walk he comes home he is still full of energy going crazy. Usually after his first food. Nothing seems to tire this dog out! I am also now using my hallway which is dark and has nothing in it what so ever, for time outs. I am not sure if this is working tho.

Can anyone help me? This dog has a lot of positives don’t get me wrong he seems extremely intelligent and can be absolutely loving and adorable but when the switch is flipped and he gets crazy I’m finding it really difficult. The time outs might be working it’s not something I’ve been doing for long so might just need a bit more consistency and repetitions before they sink in. What I am noticing is when I let him back in the room he seems a lot calmer so maybe it’s effective?
    Last edited by Xstasea; 06-02-2020 at 10:29 AM.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Some of the behavior depends on the breeding....

That said....give him a time out when he gets on your nerves....or just when you need a break! Won't hurt him....

Distruction...biting...not acceptable......I warn twice and give them something good to chew...3rd time...time out for 10 min. and begin again!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

Congrats you got a smart puppy.
    One thing I learned over the years, Pugs are very smart and the real smart once seem to be very active .

Ok let me ask a few questions

How long have you had him?
    How old was he when you got him?
    How many litter mates and adult Pugs grew up with him while at the breeder ?
    And last but not least what is his name ?

As I understand you are home all day ?

Every dog is different even within the same breed .
    I do not believe the same training approach works for every dog .
    What I discovered is : Pugs love their routines and I mean routines to the minute . I would start with making a timetable for your day on what is happening at what time .
    Start with that and also name each activity and tell your pup
    “Now it’s time for breakfast”
    “Now it’s time for your walk”
    “Nap time”
    “Let’s play “
    “Potty “ etc.
    Stick with it and see what happens in a few days .
    Is your puppy walking to the door because he knows it’s potty time? Trying to grab the leash ?

Puppies can get over stimulated your are correct .
    But with a good plan your will see it is going to be less and less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

So his name is Reggie, I believe he had like 7 litter mates. I got him at 8 weeks and I believe he had his mum and possibly one other adult dog at the breeders. I do have a daily routine but I don’t really name it apart from maybe saying it’s time for food etc. He doesn’t pull on the leash and is quick to pick things up. He wakes me up when he needs to go do his business and usually I can tell when he needs to go so I let him on my balcony as I live in an apartment. I’m just wondering if maybe he has like the dog form of ADHD or some other mental issue or if he’s just an extremely active/crazy puppy. Normally I wouldn’t be too bothered but I look at other puppies/dogs plus what dog trainers are saying and a lot of what he does just doesn’t sit right and doesn’t feel normal. I’ve taught him sit, lie down, high five and puppy pushups going from standing to down back up. He also does well with his puzzle toys etc but it just doesn’t seem to tire him out. Same thing with kongs or chew sticks they keep him busy for a while but then he’s back up and fully active. I try to keep playing with him and his toys gentle as to not stimulate his craziness but it’s usually if I can’t give him my full attention that he will start chasing his tail or something else will set him off and then he might just lunge at me or my feet or start tearing stuff up around the house. Also he’s been like this since day one but I feel is getting better. If I can just control these manic moments a bit and stop the biting I would be on to a real winner. I’ve tried yelping and all that does nothing, the time outs maybe work for a little while but also nothing permanent yet. I’m really struggling..

I’d say he does chase his tail an awful lot I don’t know if that means anything as I thought all dogs do that? He also love scratching random things like the couch or his bed. When he gets hyper he just sees my hands as food and actively lunges for them. I’m trying to correct it with body language and putting him in the hallway for a few mins to calm down. I’m also trying to give him treats and praise when he does something good and desirable but it’s not really having much effect as things just trigger him and he gets out of control. When he’s sleepy/tired he’s lovely and today was his first walk after vaccinations etc and he was great.

He’s currently nearly 13 weeks.
    Last edited by Xstasea; 06-02-2020 at 10:26 AM.

DefaultA question about Pug Puppy Nap time / hyperactive puppy

Regie is a beautiful name .
    Yes 8 weeks is a little young. They do learn much from littermates and mothers keep the pups in order.

It really sounds like you got an very smart and active one . Keep doing what you are. Stick to the routine .
    You are not alone we get many people asking about crazy active puppies . This will pass .
    My 1st pug was a calm puppy and so we decided to get another . Oh man were we in for a surprise . Wild , crazy just a maniac! I never had a puppy like that and I used to raise Dalmatians .

Now he is a Therapy dog still active but not wild .
    Regie is especially at 13 weeks testing you. You will see there will be more phases like that . But they are short lived .
    Meanwhile I suggest you ask you vet what he recommends on chew bones . There are different options, from antler’s , bully sticks , Himalayan chews, Cow hooves etc . Something long lasting and safe.
    I call this dog pacifiers . It will keep him busy for a while so you can get a break.
    If it is really getting to be to much maybe you got a friend who like to walk your boy or do some do sitting ?
    He is now allowed to go outside and regular walks will help .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your help. To be honest I’m not looking to get a break from him and would rather do the training myself rather than pawning him off to friends/family.

As today is only day 2 for walkies I’m hoping this will help a lot in terms of not being locked up all day and getting him a bit calmer/well behaved. I have been told taking a dog for walks does a lot for their little brains, so we will see how it goes !

I think an issue I was having was treating him more like a precious little baby rather than a dog. I’m going to stick with the time outs just so he can calm down and understand that the manic behaviour will not be tolerated. I think hearing from friends/family oh he’s just a puppy he will grow out of it etc just kind of made me a bit lazy. Really I should have been on it a lot more so now it’s just going to be me and him and I’m really gonna focus on getting it stamped out. If what I’m doing isn’t working then I have no problem in getting a professional dog trainer to help.
    Last edited by Xstasea; 06-03-2020 at 09:05 AM.

I like that . It’s a good plan.
    Our Pugs never go anywhere without us either. And I do all my training myself.

My Bruno is 3 years old now but he looks a lot like a puppy and is a little smaller than my other Pug . A lot of people mistake him for a puppy and they just want to baby him. Ok I call him my baby too.
    I have to remind myself often he is an adult dog .

You are doing fine and he is going to grow into a great companion .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As I’ve been focusing on him today a lot more he seems better. I’ve managed to keep him relatively calm when I could see he was in the stages of going beyond that level of craziness, so hopefully the time outs are working. As he loves being with me I should imagine taking that away from him is something he doesn’t want.

I’ve also got a dog trainer coming for a 1 on 1 session next week just to teach me some things to make sure I get it right. I think what it is with Reggie is that he’s very intelligent and extremely confident/boisterous , this is obviously a good thing when you compare it to a dog that’s timid or shy but also raises the difficulties when it comes to training.

Another thing that I’ve stopped is listening to family as it seems everyone has an opinion on how to raise a dog and really none of them have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstasea View Post
    As I’ve been focusing on him today a lot more he seems better. I’ve managed to keep him relatively calm when I could see he was in the stages of going beyond that level of craziness, so hopefully the time outs are working. As he loves being with me I should imagine taking that away from him is something he doesn’t want.

I’ve also got a dog trainer coming for a 1 on 1 session next week just to teach me some things to make sure I get it right. I think what it is with Reggie is that he’s very intelligent and extremely confident/boisterous , this is obviously a good thing when you compare it to a dog that’s timid or shy but also raises the difficulties when it comes to training.

Another thing that I’ve stopped is listening to family as it seems everyone has an opinion on how to raise a dog and really none of them have a clue.
    Yes you got figure out what works for you and your dog . Yes Pugs are magnet dogs they want / need to be with you .

People think Pugs are lazy couch potatoes who sleep a lot . I found they are sleeping more because they are so smart and intelligent. They are bred to be your lap dog and truly only food can take them off your lap. And just like people you get active Pugs and lazy Pugs . I got one of each .

Definitely let us know how it goes with the trainer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Reggie sounds like my Lucy, Lucy is 15 weeks, she is always busy, wants to play all the time etc. My other 3 pugs were not like that. It is hard at times but enjoy the moment because they will be grown, in not too long and you will miss this puppy time,I often tell my husband that's why puppies are made so cute because they are such a handful. I am fortunate to have a big yard and other dogs that play with her and tire her out.
    Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae

Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast