• 4 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 3 Post By LilyFayre
  • 3 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Murphy and the leg hike

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

DefaultMurphy and the leg hike

So our last male pug, Tucker was not a leg hiker, he learned to just squat from watching Aggie and Joia. Murphy on the other hand came home with this wonderful new ability after being boarded last year. So far itís only outside but twice I caught him right before he almost started to do it on a new piece of furniture I was moving around, I told him no and sent him outside,then praised him when he went. Well twice in the last two days he hiked his leg all over the bedskirt at the ranch and then on a bag of laundry, I caught him as he was halfway through on the laundry and scolded him and again sent him out. Help me how do I stop this behavior, he Still goes out and uses his doggy door itís just seems to be if itís something new or out of place. Do I buy a belly band...again help me please.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

DefaultMurphy and the leg hike

I already had composed a post and there came Bruno jumping up on me and puff all is gone .

You got it moved furniture , new items are triggers.
    Murphy is a young dog at his prime age .
    There are many reasons a dog marks . Often changes to the environment and routine will cause a dog to hike . Besides not traveling to CA what changes are happening ?
    Gordon and Bruno are not marking inside but my former Dachshund has done it occasionally.
    The fireplace was certainly his togo spot . With an open floor plan it was hard to keep him from coming back even after I barricaded it with 2 screens . I use Woolite Pet and Stain + Oxi which worked great and does not smell to bad .

You already doing the right thing . When you get some time you can stage some items for training purposes .

We had to place items in the Yard for Gordon to pee on. A ceramic frog , stick bundles etc. he would otherwise clueless circle for hours .

I say get a belly band for the times you can not watch him and especially when you got friends coming to the house and visitors . At this point while you sill training him this will help you. The idea is to catch him always prior lifting his leg and not get any sprinkles on anything . You will learn the signs of sniffing and investigating a spot .
    Some dogs hike secretly and you only figure it out on your cleaning days .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the reply and helpful advice. The only real change was me moving a piece of furniture and putting a big bag in a different place. We aren’t traveling to CA until after July 4th (assuming no new spikes) but I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on him and buying a belly band just in case.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Darwin had a little phase of this as he matured but is ok now. I do however put a belly band on him when I go out since if anyone knocks on the door he marks, and he still needs one on for 10 minutes when visitors come in as he still can’t control himself when he gets excited and dribbles everywhere!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Thanks for the advice, I’ve been doing some rearranging of furniture so I’ve been really watching him but so far he’s not shown any inclination to raise that leg, in the house at least. He did get the stern not happy Mom voice yesterday though, which always just makes him sit when he hears it, so hopefully it connected in his brain. Fingers crossed.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I hope it's just a "growing phase" and it will end soon. Stern Mom looks and then praise after he goes outside seems like the best way to deal with it from a training perspective. And belly bands! Little Murphy is a big boy now!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread